Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm tackling a blonde tomorrow - AG 10 gallons.

I don't have room in my fermenter for 10 gallons. In fact it will only hold one 5-gallon carboy, so I've been making 4-gallon batches. Since I was too lazy to scale the recipe down this time, I'll either leave a little out or put a blow-off on the batch and cross my fingers....

This is on topic how?

;)
I dunno. But it got your attention, didn't it?

You need to stop interrupting, when I'm talking to beautiful young women who can cook and like to brew. I was just about to ask her if she owns a boat and knows how to clean fish... :D

troy2000 said:
You need to stop interrupting, when I'm talking to beautiful young women who can cook and like to brew. I was just about to ask her if she owns a boat and knows how to clean fish... :D

I think you blew your chances when you told her that your 'batch' was smaller than hers...

I think you blew your chances when you told her that your 'batch' was smaller than hers...

Let's see; how can I put this delicately? Look into average size vs. average capacity...;)

troy2000 said:
I dunno. But it got your attention, didn't it?

Boat, no. Clean fish? Yes!

A woman has to own a boat to be perfect? You have strange taste.

Willing to go on a boat and clean fish? (even if she doesn't own it) 100% in my book.

cheezydemon3 said:
A woman has to own a boat to be perfect? You have strange taste.

Willing to go on a boat and clean fish? (even if she doesn't own it) 100% in my book.

I think Troy's lookin' to bogart someone else's boat.

BTW - Y'all have inspired me to do this chilimaking thing. Wish me luck!

image-1918154492.jpg

Meat is browned, peppers, onions, and garlic are sautéed, and the tomatoes and beans are added.

1# oxtail
1/2# cubed chuck
1/2# pork ribs
1/2# short ribs
1/4# cubed lamb
2 cans kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
2 cans hunts diced tomatoes
Jalapeño, Cherry, Serrano, banana, orange and yellow bell, and a bunch of unlabeled peppers, vadalia and red onion, half a head of garlic, 4 bay leaves, celery seed, and a tbsp each of black pepper, white pepper, cumin, paprika, and some sage leaves I found under the snow in the garden (still green!).

We also have some habanero, jalapeño, and Serrano jelly from "The Berry Patch" if it needs any more flavor!

Time to simmer in the crockpot while we catch up on Grimm.

image-2197715638.jpg

image-1865486261.jpg

Pulled a shoulder roast out of the freezer this morning to make chili today, cold and snow, brrrrrr.

Meat is browned, peppers, onions, and garlic are sautéed, and the tomatoes and beans are added.

1# oxtail
1/2# cubed chuck
1/2# pork ribs
1/2# short ribs
1/4# cubed lamb
2 cans kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
2 cans hunts diced tomatoes
Jalapeño, Cherry, Serrano, banana, orange and yellow bell, and a bunch of unlabeled peppers, vadalia and red onion, half a head of garlic, 4 bay leaves, celery seed, and a tbsp each of black pepper, white pepper, cumin, paprika, and some sage leaves I found under the snow in the garden (still green!).

We also have some habanero, jalapeño, and Serrano jelly from "The Berry Patch" if it needs any more flavor!

Time to simmer in the crockpot while we catch up on Grimm.

View attachment 164725

View attachment 164726
Where's the finished picture?

Got snowed in and my kids LOVE Skyline for lunch Sunday.

I approximated it with:

Beef
onions
beef bullion
tomato sauce
garlic
cumin
cinnamon
allspice
clove
worcestershire
black pepper
salt

It was a HIT. The kids and neighbors all loved it.

The cheddar I had was a thick shred, and didn't approximate skyline's very well, but it was good!

Besides 1 or more smoked meats
fresh tomatoes
sweet onion
numerous hot and sweet chili's

It must contain
Tiny (pequenos) black beans
crushed roasted cumin seed
home brewed stout

V-8 makes a great stock (if you like a thick chili (soup)

Besides 1 or more smoked meats
fresh tomatoes
sweet onion
numerous hot and sweet chili's

It must contain
Tiny (pequenos) black beans
crushed roasted cumin seed
home brewed stout

V-8 makes a great stock (if you like a thick chili (soup)

I like to use pinquito beans in my chili sometimes. There are also some really good Santa Maria style recipes floating around using mainly pinquitos and ground beef and/or pork.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-chili/?scale=16&ismetric=0

I tried that recipe last night since I have been sitting on some quinoa and had no idea what to do with it. It came out really tasty but I played with the spices a bit as I always do. If you follow the recipe exactly it comes out under spiced imo. I like to add a bit of cinnamon along with the usual suspects (garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, smoked paprika, etc.), it just adds this sweet spice note that is just great.

Forgot to post this last night, just threw something together but turned out great. I didnt have beef so I used chicken :D

Chicken
Beans
Tomato sauce
Corn
Celery
Jalapeno
2 Tomatoes cut in big pieces
Green onions
Cilantro
A little ranch
BBQ sauce
2 types of chili seasoning
Garlic Powder
Seasoning salt

2013-12-17 18.30.35.jpg

Going to make a beef/pork chili tomorrow after reading this thread! Provisional recipe is something like the below;

2lbs Ground Beef
2lbs Ground Pork
Red Kidney Beans
Onions (Home-grown, these are STRONG!)
Garlic (Also home-grown)
Crushed tomatoes
Sweet Peppers
Chile Peppers (types to be determined post-shop today)
London Porter
Brewed Coffee

I always have Chili on rice, its my favourite way! I do also like it on burgers (best are Buffalo burgers).

BEST CHILI EVER RECIPE:

ingredients:
1 week old pot (1 gallon) of Headbanger's chili recipe.

ADD

3 cups water
2 tbsp beef bullion
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp salt

reboil briefly to kill anything starting to gain confidence over the week, turn heat to low and stir until excess moisture is gone.

Twas a slight joke.

Kinda how one of my best beers ever was:

1/5 leftover bourbon stout
1/5 leftover wheat beer
3 gallons of over boiled new IPA:

10 lbs 2 row
14 oz hops

brew 6 gallons, boil to 3.

I have a confession to make. I recently made Wick Fowler's Two alarm White Chili, and it was excellent!

Some cooked chicken, a jalapeno and 30 minutes were all that was necessary.

I'm thankful that i have an unsophisticated palate.

I have a confession to make. I recently made Wick Fowler's Two alarm White Chili, and it was excellent!

Some cooked chicken, a jalapeno and 30 minutes were all that was necessary.

I'm thankful that i have an unsophisticated palate.

My recipe is amending consistently, since I have left that awesome stuff in the crock pot that has sat overnight.....this morning there was a dark, dark skin that I stirred in......

White chili will be next. Lotsa cumin!

It was a yard sale find from 10 years ago, and round. I want to get one of the new ones you can put on the stove for browning.

Back