Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
troy2000 said:
I still remember the instructions for getting to Texas from California: "head due east until you smell cow s***; that's Oklahoma. Then hang a right and keep going until you step in it; that'll be Texas. :D

The reason TX doesn't fall off the map? OK sux.

This is the empanada recipe i use:
3 cups (15 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
1 cup (5 ounces) masa harina (see note)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons table salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
1/2 cup cold vodka or tequila (see note)
1/2 cup cold water
5 tablespoons olive oil (for baking empanadas)

I once made Chili Con Carne for my gf. She hates hot food so I left out the chili, is not a big meat eater so I used veggies instead of beef. What should have been Chili Con Carne ended up as just a great big Con.

Just made up my second batch of chili for the season today. The high isn't gonna get much past 65F here in Florida today, so what better time?

I used a pound of beef stew meat, seared with salt and pepper with about 4oz of imperial stout. Added a drained can of dark red kidney beans and a big can of diced tomatoes.

Then I sautéed a whole onion and browned some ground beef, then added the seasoning packet from a Carroll Shelby's seasoning kit, and a red bell pepper. A pinch of cayenne, a cup of medium salsa and a handful of crushed tortilla chips, throw it all in the crockpot and it's done!

Well, this went off the rails fast! *glares at creamygoodnes*

but, if you can't beat'em....

Back in the '70's when I was rough-necking on Oklahoma oil rigs, I found a recipe in a cookbook for spicy beef empanadas..........

Awesome story, lol.

Mmmm, I had curried beef spicy empenadas once, with a sour cream/chive dip of some sort.........gawd how yummy!!!

I have to say that chili ravioli sounds fun, but a novelty at best.

Perhaps you (creamy) spew out yards of pasta every week, but I do NOT ;)

If I'm gonna make ravioli, it is gonna be some gourmet ****!!!

*preparse for backlash*

My chili is effing rock and roll, but ravili? Only if someone else is doing the work ;)

You have got me thinking though! I am thinking rich parmesan/garlic&herbs/woodear mushroom ravioli in tomato sauce and meatballs.....;)

Is there a dedicated cooking thread anywhere on HBT, where we can cook up food worthy of our beers?

Well, worthy of youse guys' beers, anyway. I'm just getting started... I've done one 'American style' Mr. Beer kit and a partial mash saison, and I have a lawnmower all-grain in the fermenter at the moment. But give me time; I'm working on it. :)

cheezydemon3 said:
Well, this went off the rails fast! *glares at creamygoodnes*

but, if you can't beat'em....

Awesome story, lol.

Mmmm, I had curried beef spicy empenadas once, with a sour cream/chive dip of some sort.........gawd how yummy!!!

I have to say that chili ravioli sounds fun, but a novelty at best.

Perhaps you (creamy) spew out yards of pasta every week, but I do NOT ;)

If I'm gonna make ravioli, it is gonna be some gourmet ****!!!

*preparse for backlash*

My chili is effing rock and roll, but ravili? Only if someone else is doing the work ;)

You have got me thinking though! I am thinking rich parmesan/garlic&herbs/woodear mushroom ravioli in tomato sauce and meatballs.....;)

I'm thinking chili atop a bed of crispy ravioli stuffed with jalapeño and cheese cornbread.
;)

1 cup (5 ounces) masa harina (see note)1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons table salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
1/2 cup cold vodka or tequila (see note)1/2 cup cold water

Note? Me no see no NOTES.

Oh my... fried ravioli filled with chili served with a jalapeno cheese dipping sauce? Game food?

Hmmm......now we are thinking.....sorta square tamales with cheese sauce??

I am thinking triagular ravioli...kinda tortilla chip shaped ;)

The dough recipe is from the test kitchen website.

Looks like you have to be a member:(

Sorry!

edit: Strangely it looks like the notes are at the top....unblocked...lol.

The alcohol in the dough is essential to the texture of the crust and imparts no flavor—do not substitute for it or omit. Masa harina can be found in the international aisle with other Latin foods or in the baking aisle with the flour. If you cannot find masa harina, replace it with additional all-purpose flour (for a total of 4 cups). After step 5, the empanadas can be covered tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days..

Here it is whole:
1 cup (5 ounces) masa harina (see note)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons table salt
1/2 cup cold vodka or tequila (see note)
1/2 cup cold water

The alcohol in the dough is essential to the texture of the crust and imparts no flavor—do not substitute for it or omit. Masa harina can be found in the international aisle with other Latin foods or in the baking aisle with the flour. If you cannot find masa harina, replace it with additional all-purpose flour (for a total of 4 cups). After step 5, the empanadas can be covered tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days..

Agreed, the notes don't add much! Guess that is why they are available for free ;)

Do you recommend joining?

cheezydemon3 said:
Here it is whole:

Agreed, the notes don't add much! Guess that is why they are available for free ;)

Do you recommend joining?

I like the test kitchen. They always give me new ideas on the same old recipes.

I hate to say it, but I am SOLD on crockpot chili.

Nothing else can cook for 48 hours with no stirring.

No other method can be untouched and form that DARK caramelized crust on the top that adds SO much flavor when stirred in.

;)

After years of braising in cast iron dutch oven and using slow cooker, I just evolved/devolved to using pressure cooker.

Instead of browning chunks of meat, I toss them in a bowl with seasonings and put them on the grill (caramelized crust) while sauteing the peppers/onions. Add meat and liquids of choice. After an hour at pressure, let it cool and you're good to go.
Sometimes will thicken with slurry of flour/red wine.

Works great for carnitas too. After cooling, put the chunks in casserole dish, drizzle juice/fat on top and broil for 10-15 minutes.

Cuts cooking time by 70% and I've done it while tailgating/camping.

After years of braising in cast iron dutch oven and using slow cooker, I just evolved/devolved to using pressure cooker.

Instead of browning chunks of meat, I toss them in a bowl with seasonings and put them on the grill (caramelized crust) while sauteing the peppers/onions. Add meat and liquids of choice. After an hour at pressure, let it cool and you're good to go.

Works great for carnitas too. After cooling, put the chunks in casserole dish, drizzle juice/fat on top and broil for 10-15 minutes.

That is something to look into!

I had used a pressure cooker years ago to sterilize, never for cooking.

That is something to look into!

I had used a pressure cooker years ago to sterilize, never for cooking.
A pressure cooker is part of my repertoire, but it isn't a cure-all - any more than a Crock Pot is. As mentioned, it works a lot better if you do your browning and caramelizing first, before putting the food under pressure. .

A pressure cooker is part of my repertoire, but it isn't a cure-all - any more than a Crock Pot is. As mentioned, it works a lot better if you do your browning and caramelizing first, before putting the food under pressure. .

Yes, I get that. Thanks!

Pot of red on the stove this morning. Haven't added any masa yet. image-2878279270.jpg

Try adding tortilla chips instead. They're almost the same thing as masa and add that thickness. Yum!

Generally I stick with masa so I can control the amount of salt making it into the final bowl, but I have neither Masa nor chips so there's going to be a run to the store either way.

This pot is about 6lbs bottom round and 4.5lbs brisket - each half cubed and seared, half ground with a kitchen-ade, 1lbs bacon, 1 onion, one clove garlic, 5 new mexicos, 3 anchos and a couple of dumps of chili powder.

No beans, no tomatoes.

Generally I stick with masa so I can control the amount of salt making it into the final bowl, but I have neither Masa nor chips so there's going to be a run to the store either way.

This pot is about 6lbs bottom round and 4.5lbs brisket - each half cubed and seared, half ground with a kitchen-ade, 1lbs bacon, 1 onion, one clove garlic, 5 new mexicos, 3 anchos and a couple of dumps of chili powder.

No beans, no tomatoes.

Sounds good. The only thing it's missing is some beans and tomatoes...:D

Sounds good. The only thing it's missing is some beans and tomatoes...:D

Once it hits the bowl, you can do whatever you like to it!

I'll probably supply fritos, shredded cheese, chopped onions, chopped jalapenos, sour cream and hot sauce. If somebody brought a can of beans and tomatos, they'd be welcome - the collabrewtive workshop is a safe place.

Once it hits the bowl, you can do whatever you like to it!

I'll probably supply fritos, shredded cheese, chopped onions, chopped jalapenos, sour cream and hot sauce. If somebody brought a can of beans and tomatos, they'd be welcome - the collabrewtive workshop is a safe place.

An impressive list of garnishes.

The last time I served build-your-own fajita tacos, one of the items I laid out was a little bowl of chopped jalapenos. They were mostly for me because I'm the only one in the household who likes really spicy food, and I thought the store-bought pico de gallo was on the mild side. But for some reason my nephew Justin mistook them for chives, and loaded up. He suffered...

I'll give him credit; he finished the taco anyway.

An impressive list of garnishes.

The last time I served build-your-own fajita tacos, one of the items I laid out was a little bowl of chopped jalapenos. They were mostly for me because I'm the only one in the household who likes really spicy food, and I thought the store-bought pico de gallo was on the mild side. But for some reason my nephew Justin mistook them for chives, and loaded up. He suffered...

I'll give him credit; he finished the taco anyway.

Ha!

I LOVE fresh diced jalapenos! The ones in vinegar are good too, but the fresh are so much better and hotter.

I love my pressure cooker and pressure caner! I use them 3 or 4 times a week. My jars of chili are famous. But I still say the best chili is made in a big cast iron pan or dutch oven. I know it's more work, and takes a lot longer. But the way it cooks is better. Kinda like you can simmer pork ribs for hours, but if you pressure cook them for 45 min the bones start breaking down, turns into white dust.

You know what's good, is pan frying a steak, then chop it up and add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Then add a can of chili.

I keep seeing this in this thread. What is a "new mexico"? The farm up the highway grows all sorts of New Mexico chiles, from moderate Big Jims to asset burning Barkers and lots of varieties in between. Some years their poblanos will blister you
It's a specific chile, commonly sold powdered. Per Williams-Sonoma:
Also known as the Chile Colorado, the New Mexico chili pepper is known for its sweet, earthy flavor and subtle, spicy heat.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/new-mexico-chili-powder/

There's also a California powdered chile, made from Anaheim chiles. A similar taste, but not as earthy and complex.

If you grab a jar just labeled 'chili powder' off the spice rack at a supermarket, it's usually made from a proprietary mix of chiles with cumin added - and sometimes other seasonings like paprika, garlic, oregano and salt.

Today is perfect chili weather, 36* and raining

Umm... that would imply that there is such a thing as imperfect chile weather.

In cold weather, chile warms you up. In hot weather, chile makes you sweat and cools you down....:)

You know what's good, is pan frying a steak, then chop it up and add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Then add a can of chili.
Sounds good. But my usual route is to thin-slice the steak first, then stir fry it with the onion, bell pepper and garlic. It seems to meld the flavors better. And in deference to the memory of my mother, I would add a (thawed) frozen brick of XLNT chili instead of a canned chili, if I were going that route...

If you grab a jar just labeled 'chili powder' off the spice rack at a supermarket, it's usually made from a proprietary mix of chiles with cumin added - and sometimes other seasonings like paprika, garlic, oregano and salt.
I love living in New Mexico-we get such an amazing variety of local chiles, fresh/dried/or powdered, I have a hard time understanding how people survive without them. In New Mexico powdered chile is chile, no additives, other flavors, spices etc. The bag is labeled New Mexico Chile: Mild, medium,medium hot, hot, extra hot. The one thing they all have in common is that they come from NM chiles. There's no "new mexico" sold in New Mexico.

I love living in New Mexico-we get such an amazing variety of local chiles, fresh/dried/or powdered, I have a hard time understanding how people survive without them. In New Mexico powdered chile is chile, no additives, other flavors, spices etc. The bag is labeled New Mexico Chile: Mild, medium,medium hot, hot, extra hot. The one thing they all have in common is that they come from NM chiles. There's no "new mexico" sold in New Mexico.

Kind of like how in China people just call "Chinese food" "Food" :tank:

Back