Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Or as my mother learned when traveling in Switzerland many years ago: she asked for a ham sandwich with Swiss cheese only to be told all their cheese was Swiss.

Or the difference between a cupcake (a small single serve cake) and a cup cake, a recipe from colonial times utilizing a tea cup as a unit of measurement. You can have a cupcake that is a cup cake, and also cakes that are either cupcakes, cup cakes, or neither.

Or the difference between a cupcake (a small single serve cake) and a cup cake, a recipe from colonial times utilizing a tea cup as a unit of measurement. You can have a cupcake that is a cup cake, and also cakes that are either cupcakes, cup cakes, or neither.

Does that even make sense?

Does that even make sense?

Actually it does. In a Cup Cake (cake batter made where all ingredients are 1 cup. 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour...), whereas a cupcake (no space) is the one that you used to bring to school to celebrate your birthdays. He goes on to explain that cup cakes can be made with a batter is made using the cup cake method, and so on and so forth.

Oh goodness. I speak CreamyGoodness. I am scared.

Actually it does. In a Cup Cake (cake batter made where all ingredients are 1 cup. 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour...), whereas a cupcake (no space) is the one that you used to bring to school to celebrate your birthdays. He goes on to explain that cup cakes can be made with a batter is made using the cup cake method, and so on and so forth.

we all are. The fact that he made sense to me scares me.

Knowing this now makes it clearer

I speak Creamy. I also speak Jive. May I be of service?

And yes, I would LOVE a cup cake cupcake.

You dig?

Like these?

76827-smurfs-cupcake-rings.jpg

I love living in New Mexico-we get such an amazing variety of local chiles, fresh/dried/or powdered, I have a hard time understanding how people survive without them. In New Mexico powdered chile is chile, no additives, other flavors, spices etc. The bag is labeled New Mexico Chile: Mild, medium,medium hot, hot, extra hot. The one thing they all have in common is that they come from NM chiles. There's no "new mexico" sold in New Mexico.
OK, just did a little more study. Apparently the Anaheim chiles grown in California are descended from chile colorado seeds a farmer brought from New Mexico in the early 1900's. They tend to have a little less heat than the average chile colorado from New Mexico. It occurs to me that may be the result of selective breeding, chance mutation, or simply differences in soil or weather.
Apparently there are several cultivars of chile colorado grown in New Mexico, that have various amounts of heat. That's why you can buy pure New Mexico chile powder that's mild, medium or hot...

The chile "heat" of Anaheims typically ranges from 500 to 2,500 on the Scoville scale;[1] however, typical cultivars grown in New Mexico range from 500 to 10,000 Scoville units.[2]

New Mexican cultivars were developed in the state by Dr. Fabian Garcia, whose major release was the New Mexico No. 9 in 1913.[3] These cultivars are "hotter" than others in order to suit the tastes of New Mexicans in their traditional foods. The hottest cultivars (e.g. NuMex XXHot) can be as hot as 70,000 Scoville units,[4] indicating large genetic variability. Chiles grown around the town of Hatch are marketed under the name of the town and are often sold fresh-roasted in New Mexico and neighboring states in the early autumn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim_pepper

Hatch is famous for it's chile, but better chile is actually grown around Artesia/Roswell, and in the Espanola/Chimayo region. We buy all of our fresh green chile from a farm just east of Artesia and I promise you won't find better, hotter chile anywhere.

Sampled Headbangers Chili Verde, (delicious) and he handed me a quart of his regular chili to sample. I will report!

EDIT:

Eye opening :eek: good chili. Beans, steak, spot on seasoning....

Chili Pizza - why not. Maybe make it a little bit thicker and pre-cook the crust a bit before putting the chili on. Just a thought.

OOh another idea - sourdough crust, like chili in a sourdough bread bowl!

Beans! But not overly full of beans. I like one bean per bite.

Must be spicy! I like to use my homemade garlic/habanero sauce to taste.

I always use Venison for my chili, beef just doesn't cut it.

Load it up with yellow onions and bell peppers, chopped!

Can you put the chili on your pizza?

Dammit, now I have to try this :D

Chili Pizza - why not. Maybe make it a little bit thicker and pre-cook the crust a bit before putting the chili on. Just a thought.

OOh another idea - sourdough crust, like chili in a sourdough bread bowl!

That is the only way I make my pizzas now, sourdough is the way to go!

Hatch is famous for it's chile, but better chile is actually grown around Artesia/Roswell, and in the Espanola/Chimayo region. We buy all of our fresh green chile from a farm just east of Artesia and I promise you won't find better, hotter chile anywhere.

Years ago, I planted a row of bell peppers next to a row of jalapeno peppers. The jalapenos flowered but didn't set fruit. On the other hand, the bell pepper plants turned out perfect little bell peppers, about a fourth the size of regular ones.

When someone bit into one, it was juicy, crisp and sweet - and about halfway through chewing that first bite, they would gradually realize their mouth was on fire. I ambushed every relative and friend for miles around with them....

Years ago, I planted a row of bell peppers next to a row of jalapeno peppers. The jalapenos flowered but didn't set fruit. On the other hand, the bell pepper plants turned out perfect little bell peppers, about a fourth the size of regular ones.

When someone bit into one, it was juicy, crisp and sweet - and about halfway through chewing that first bite, they would gradually realize their mouth was on fire. I ambushed every relative and friend for miles around with them....

Awesome!

Not to go too scientific on you, but the ONLY thing that will effect a pepper is it's parent plants.

If you got small fiery bells, then it was the seed that they grew from that was crossed.

Pollen from a jalapeno would only make the plants that grew from the seeds in the bell peppers produce small spicy bells.

Sorry!

Awesome!

Not to go too scientific on you, but the ONLY thing that will effect a pepper is it's parent plants.

If you got small fiery bells, then it was the seed that they grew from that was crossed.

Pollen from a jalapeno would only make the plants that grew from the seeds in the bell peppers produce small spicy bells.

Sorry!

Didn't he just say the bell peppers produced small, spicy bells? One too many home brews already? :tank: :mug:

I've had bell peppers come out kinda spicy when planted next to hot peppers. they won't be fire hot but definitely not sweet only. it depends on whether your plants are hybrids or heirloom variety.

Didn't he just say the bell peppers produced small, spicy bells? One too many home brews already? :tank: :mug:

I've had bell peppers come out kinda spicy when planted next to hot peppers. they won't be fire hot but definitely not sweet only. it depends on whether your plants are hybrids or heirloom variety.

It seems logical, especially if his supposed bells were hot, and it makes a good story. Unfortunately, even if a ghost chili pollinated a bell pepper, the plant would produce normal peppers, but the seeds of those normal bell peppers would grow into unstable hybrids that would exhibit traits of both ghosts and bells in unpredictable variations.

Awesome!

Sorry!

I believe someone has just politely accused me of making s*** up for the sake of a good story... Go as scientific as you like; the facts are as stated.

1. I planted a row of bells next to a row of jalapenos; about a dozen of each. Both were from standard packs of seeds bought at a nursery, started indoors and transplanted into my garden.

2. The jalapenos all flowered, but not a single one set fruit.

3. Every bell plant turned out small bell peppers that were sweet and juicy, but almost as hot as a jalapeno.

If you say that isn't scientifically possible, there's something wrong with your understanding of the science involved. Because there's certainly nothing wrong with my memory - or my honesty. Sorry...

Think about it: pepper seeds are formed as part of a pepper. If two types of peppers cross-pollinating turn out hybrid pepper seeds (stable or not) why shouldn't the peppers those seeds are part of also be hybrids?

troy2000 said:
I believe someone has just politely accused me of making s*** up for the sake of a good story... Go as scientific as you like; the facts are as stated.

1. I planted a row of bells next to a row of jalapenos; about a dozen of each. Both were from standard packs of seeds bought at a nursery, started indoors and transplanted into my garden.

2. The jalapenos all flowered, but not a single one set fruit.

3. Every bell plant turned out small bell peppers that were sweet and juicy, but almost as hot as a jalapeno.

If you say that isn't scientifically possible, there's something wrong with your understanding of the science involved. Because there's certainly nothing wrong with my memory - or my honesty. Sorry...

Think about it: pepper seeds are formed as part of a pepper. If two types of peppers cross-pollinating turn out hybrid pepper seeds (stable or not) why shouldn't the peppers those seeds are part of also be hybrids?

ChefRex said:
Sorry Cheezy but i have to say I have had similar experiences, been growing peppers 35 or so years.

Out of curiosity, did you seed the peppers or eat them with the seeds in?

Quite often with seeds in, seeds and membranes are a lot of the heat, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong but no need to rub my face in it.
Oh that's right you didn't you asked a question. Now I have years of experimentation to deal with.
:p:mug:

I only ate one fresh; I used the rest for cooking or for ambushing people. On the fresh one the first bite I took was clear of seeds, and as soon as I realized I had a hot pepper in my hand I avoided them - like I would if I were munching on any hot pepper.

In cooking, I usually used seeds and all. I did keep some seeds, planning to plant them and see if they'd breed true. But I moved that winter, and lost them in the shuffle.

Can I just chime in and remind everyone involved in this particular portion of the chili discussion that they are all intelligent, interesting and cool people to be around?

You can both be right.

Pepper seed producers are supposed to plant their hot peppers at least a mile from their bells to prevent this very thing from happening. Logistically, that sounds like it would be a nightmare that some growers might choose to ignore.

You can both be right.

Pepper seed producers are supposed to plant their hot peppers at least a mile from their bells to prevent this very thing from happening. Logistically, that sounds like it would be a nightmare that some growers might choose to ignore.

NO (sorry I started this goddammit) Both can not be right.

HERE is an article on distance.

http://www.southernexposure.com/isolation-distance-requirements-for-peppers-ezp-34.html

NOTE that the distance is required ONLY if you plan to use the seed. The idea that the fruit might be affected is so preposterous, IT IS NOT EVEN MENTIONED.

Seriously. Research some basic plant biology. They aren't mammals.

I won't even go to the debate forum here any more because cheezy bashes posts all the time without ever reading them. Proof.

NO (sorry I started this goddammit) Both can not be right.

HERE is an article on distance.

http://www.southernexposure.com/isolation-distance-requirements-for-peppers-ezp-34.html

NOTE that the distance is required ONLY if you plan to use the seed. The idea that the fruit might be affected is so preposterous, IT IS NOT EVEN MENTIONED.

Seriously. Research some basic plant biology. They aren't mammals.
Were you there in Tujunga, CA thirty five years ago? I don't remember seeing you in my garden, or offering you a taste of my peppers.

Don't try to tell me what I experienced firsthand is 'preposterous.' I don't appreciate being called a liar, and two other posters have mentioned similar experiences (edit: three others, now). What's preposterous is the notion that a seed could have DNA from both the female flower and the pollinator, while the rest of the fruit that it's a part of somehow only received DNA from the female.

Seriously. Use a little common sense. This isn't exactly rocket science, and your ignorance doesn't trump my personal experience.

Latest posts

Back