Chevallier barley malts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKaranka

Reaction score
So if you thought that the relatively modern Maris Otter was a 'traditional' barley at just around 50 years old, some barley growers in Norfolk have started large scale trials on Chevallier barley. The origins of the barley go back to the 1820s and it was the most highly prized malt in Victorian times. Crisp is going to malt plenty of it this year (I emailed them and they said to contact them once the harvest is in). You can expect more character, lower attenuation, more sweetness, higher protein content and a longer conditioning time for the beer to get spot on.

Some more info here:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/norwich-barley-and-malt.html?m=1

Know if any will be available for us UK homebrewers?

I emailed Crisp earlier in the year and they told me to check later on, but yes, they are planning to release some. I'll reply back to the old email and get back to you.

Cheers! would be good if malt miller get some, I'd definitely order a sack for my next order

I've dropped an email to Crisp maltings. Their MD replied 18 months ago but has retired since.

Seems like the perfect stuff for that Imperial mild. 1.120, 140IBU, all a Chevallier and Goldings SMaSH.

Git a reply back from Crisp. They do have Chevallier. Now it's a matter of arranging for a local partner to pick up some (sadly we lost our LHBS). They are pretty quick to reply to emails!

I was lucky enough to get two sacks of Crisp Chevallier Malt back in June (helps to have connections) and have brewed 5 batches with the malt so far. First two batches were simple English bitters, both around 1.040, one using 100% Chevallier and the other included 3% medium crystal. Both were hopped (moderately) with EKG and Challenger, wlp006 yeast.

My initial impressions were that the malt does have a rich and complex flavor, more so than MO or GP. Tasting notes were along the lines of oven-baked bread, toast crust, earthy-straw, cocoa, and a sweet honey/caramel flavor. The malt definitely leaves a full and round malt character in the beer, with a slightly higher than normal FG. Interestingly, the color of the grain is quite pale (almost chalky) but the color of the wort is indeed darker. A similar wort color could be achieved with Mild Malt, although the flavor is different. Moreover, I also noticed the flavor of the Chevallier brewed beers took longer to come around; when very young the beers were pretty hazy and had a slight roughness/cereal flavor, like eating raw flaked oatmeal or something. After a month in the keg, that flavor went away and the pleasant richness of the malt came through.

I watched Don O’s video and while I can see his comment on apricot flavor (there is a sweetness that goes almost fruit-like), I wouldn’t go so far to call out stone fruit. In the IPA that I brewed with it (100% Chevallier, Jester/Amarillo hops), the malt provided a nice malt balance with a similar earthy-honied flavor you get with UK floor malt. I don’t think it particularly stood out in the IPA, although it had the same initial cereal roughness and darker color. That beer was pretty heavily hopped though.

Where the malt really stood out was in a high gravity Strong Ale (8.0%), where the concentrated wort produced really nice flavors of toasted bread, sweet caramel, and cocoa. I didn’t use much roast or crystal malts in the recipe (less than 8% total), but the beer had a great, rich cocoa flavor with excellent mouthfeel. It tasted like the wort had been boiled down for hours; sweet, full, very moreish.

I recently brewed Ron’s 1949 Adnams XXXX Old Ale with it, and hope the results are similar.

All in all, I have been very happy with the Chevallier malt and definitely recommend trying some if you can source it. The flavor is certainly different than what we normally get - this isn’t a bigger MO/GP, it’s a different flavor altogether. My only complaint of the malt is the roughness is imparts when the beer is young. I’ve found it mostly ages out and the flavor holds up well as it ages. It seems perfect for beer styles that you can age.

Does anyone know if this is available anywhere in the U S?
I e-mailed BSG and got this response

Greetings Steve,

Thanks for the email – unfortunately, Chevalier Malt is only available to commercial brewers at the moment.
There has been very limited supply these first two years, but Crisp plans on ramping up the production moving forward; our hope is to offer it to homebrewers in the future!

Cheers,

Jake

DIRECTOR OF MARKETING
BSG

I'm planning to brew with this malt and use Ernest hops - a hop from the 1920s that has recently been revived. The Ernest hop never made it into production because it had a tropical fruit/grapefruit character which is obviously completely unsuitable for beer ;-)

There are quite a few historical hops from the English hop breeding program that were considered "too american"

I just googled that one and it was named after Ernest Slamon who was basically the godfather of hop breeding :D

Do tell us how the beer turns out

There are quite a few historical hops from the English hop breeding program that were considered "too american"

I just googled that one and it was named after Ernest Slamon who was basically the godfather of hop breeding :D

I will do!
I have read that they have a few more varieties in the pipeline from those old records that they plan on reviving.

I'm planning to brew with this malt and use Ernest hops - a hop from the 1920s that has recently been revived. The Ernest hop never made it into production because it had a tropical fruit/grapefruit character which is obviously completely unsuitable for beer ;-)

Where did you get it? And where are you getting the hops?

I got the hops from the homebrew shop in Aldershot (I can't remember the web address) and I'm getting the malt from geterbrewed.com

Also Aplus hops sell the rhizomes/plants if anyone wants to grow them, no idea about shipping them to the US though. They have a bunch of historic ones as well, like Mathon and cobb . And A Bushel of Hops grow and sell some historic ones too, they have an old school charcoal fired oast that they use to dry the hops. They sell out quick though

Those are more traditional hops though rather than the "bad" american style ones :)

I brewed this today. I'm just about to pitch the yeast. It's just Ernest hops (35 ibu) and Chevalier malt (1.046) with a balanced water profile. I'm using Nottingham so the FG is estimated at 1.01.
I'm down to two names...
'The Importance of Being Knight Rider'
or
'Good Night Bert, Good Knight Ernie'
What do you reckon? Anyone?

It's Crisp who are the main drivers behind the Chevallier revival, so in theory anywhere that carries Crisp malts should be able to get hold of it.

However, it's being grown in a really small scale (like a few-fields-worth) so don't be surprised if there's none available until the new harvest has been malted and distributed. Even in the UK it's twice the price of Otter, so don't expect it to be cheap either.

Back