Chamomile in oatmeal stout, did i ruined the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionut

Reaction score
Today i brewed a simple 6g batch of oatmeal stout. At the end, before the 5 min hop addition i decided to try adding some chamomile in with the hops. I weighted 10 grams of dried chamomile flowers and added them with the hops.
I thought that it isn't too much, but the smell in the kettle was very pungent, covering all that stout smell. No the wort is slow chilling in the cube, and i am worrying that is possible the chamomile smell and aroma will be the same after fermentation. I has hopping for a very little, almost unnoticeble aroma from that.
Do you have some experience with chamomile in beer? Is it that strong? Will it mellow after fermentation?

I put some camomile in a belgian pale ale and it was not even detectable.

In a stout I bet you'd have to use a lot to get a noticeable effect.
10 grams does not seem like too much. I'd use 2-3 gram to make a cup of tea... and image that diluted into 6 gallons of stout.

you did not ruin your beer. it is probably not going to be obvious that it's in there.

That's exactly what i tought, with 10 grams probably i could make 4-5 cups of tea, but the smell in the kettle was very strong, it covered the hops that entered the kettle at the same time.
I just hope you're right :D

I'm guessing you will use a lot of taste & aroma during the ferment. For a next attempt, I'd recommend making 0.5 to 1 gallon of tea (assuming a 4 - 5 gallons of beer) and mixing it to your desired taste at bottling/kegging. I did that with some spiced Earl Grey and a cream ale. My ratio was 0.5 gallons of tea to 4.5 gallons of beer.

Yeah, that's a good idea, i do this sometimes with hops. This was a very stupid brain fart, i am not sure that i will like a stout with chamomile, but in that moment it looked like a very good idea. I first tought at adding a vanilla bean, but i didn't had it on hand.
That reminds me of a my first coriander beer, a pale ale. I decided in the last minutes to add it. I ferment it in a small storage closet, and it smelled like a candy shop in there from that coriander. I was sure that the beer is ruined, but the aroma was lost in the fermentation and the beer turned very good, at least for me :D

I've used lavender in a beer before and found that heating it gives it an unpleasant soap/fabric softener/perfume character. If you don't like how this beer turns out, try adding it post-fermentation.

Keep in mind that the scent of any addition you make will be very obvious when you do it. The amount you added is pretty negligible, for my scotch ale with heather I have to add an entire 3 oz pack of dried heather to get a noticeable taste difference. I think you're fine.

Yestarday i took a hydrometer sample and there is no chamomile evidence anymore. The fermentation striped it away.
So, if anyone will fool around like i did, 10g of chamomile added at flameout will not be present in the finished beer.

It's a strange combination but bear in mind that herbal teas often smell strong but still taste of water so if you age it the aroma might dissipate leaving very little taste.

I can't see chamomile working in anything but a very subtle pale beer.

It's a strange combination but bear in mind that herbal teas often smell strong but still taste of water so if you age it the aroma might dissipate leaving very little taste.

I can't see chamomile working in anything but a very subtle pale beer.

Honey & Chamomile Wheat

2 oz (56 grams) in 5 gallon batch. Both aroma and flavor from the flowers are present. I loved this beer.

Chamomile.JPG

Back