Cerveza Beer Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty

Reaction score
Are there better yeast alternatives for brewing cerveza style beer other than the package that comes with the kit? One sales consultant recommended Lallemand Nottingham yeast. Any opinions out there?

Cervesza style beer should be pretty close to a Vienna Lager, and lallemand Nottingham is not a terrible choice if you ferment it cool and overpitch

I would go for a lager yeast like Wy2278 or WLP920 would be good choices

If you're needing an ale strain, I would go with a big pitch of the Nottingham strain, or of Kveik yeast.

If you use an ale yeast use 1.5x the # of cells recommended by the yeast starter calculators and ferment at the cool end of its recommended temperature range.

Let it Lager for 4 weeks before you start drinking it

"Cerveza" is Spanish for "beer", so you're asking what is a good yeast beer-style beer.

Are you wanting to make a light lager? Use a lager yeast.

WLP940 yeast

Oops , this is a mexican Lager yeast not an Ale .

I did a Brewersbest Mexican cerveza kit once and I believe it came with Nottingham

Last edited:
Yep, I just bottles that kit about a month ago. I think Nottingham did a good job. I wish my basement had been just slightly cooler, but a very nice beer.

Yes it's a one of their best kits imo. I've done a ton of their kits when I first started. Pretty good quality kits . The Red Ale was really good .

Cervesza style beer should be pretty close to a Vienna Lager, and lallemand Nottingham is not a terrible choice if you ferment it cool and overpitch

I would go for a lager yeast like Wy2278 or WLP920 would be good choices

If you're needing an ale strain, I would go with a big pitch of the Nottingham strain, or of Kveik yeast.

If you use an ale yeast use 1.5x the # of cells recommended by the yeast starter calculators and ferment at the cool end of its recommended temperature range.

Let it Lager for 4 weeks before you start drinking it
Thank you.

Back