cells in WLP pure pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need 235 billion cells of WLP5300. It comes in a new 70ml pack called PurePitch next generation and is more expensive than the old pack. So how many cell are in the new 70ml wlp purepitch packs of yeast.

So the OG doesn't matter? :rolleyes:
Presumably "standard ale ranges" would include something about OG. But that's still a stupidly verbose and nonspecific answer to the question, when they could have very easily directly answered it. It's a simple question, and a suitable (i.e., direct) answer would be "Each PPNG contains approximately 150B cells at the time of manufacture." But they seem really committed to dancing around this question rather than answering it directly.

And if the range doesn't work for you...

For specific information on lots, you can look up the QC sheet: Click Here

All this by following Northern_Brewer's link.

Holy cow!
I favor a pitch rate of 1M cells/ml/°P to 11 gallons of 75 point wort - my typical IPA batch.
The White Labs yeast calculator says I need 5 of their Next Generation 70ml Pure Pitch packs.
Bought at Morebeer.com that's almost $100! Woof!

Definitely not tossing my 5 liter e-flask anytime soon...

Cheers!

Pretty explicit...
Not at all--as they tell it, PurePitch is something different from PurePitch Next Generation, so that answer doesn't apply. And even if it did, it requires knowledge of the package size in mL. Sure, none of the math is hard, but why can't they just give a clear answer to a simple question? That is, after all, supposed to be the point of a FAQ.

Not at all--as they tell it, PurePitch is something different from PurePitch Next Generation, so that answer doesn't apply. And even if it did, it requires knowledge of the package size in mL. Sure, none of the math is hard, but why can't they just give a clear answer to a simple question? That is, after all, supposed to be the point of a FAQ.

Fair enough.

Marketed as a 7.5M/ml pitch in 19L.

19L = 19000ml
7.5*19000=142,500

142.5 billion cells

Someone correct my math, please.

ETA: Funnily enough, looks to be in the range of a "last" generation PurePitch.

Last edited:
PurePitch and PP Next Gen have an excellent record on keeping high cell viability over time, with only 3-6% decline per month when handled correctly.

Just as important as the mere cell count in the package, are age and temps during storage and transportation.
5 days in a hot truck or 1/2 a day in a mailbox in hot weather can create havoc on the viable cell count.

Since many of those factors are usually unknown, it's always best to make a starter a few days to a week before brewing/pitching. It at least proves yeast viability while vitality and cell count are increased.
I therefore always use this yeast pitch calculator for estimates:
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
Given today's fairly high (and rising) pricing and shipping costs, it's also a good habit to overbuild the starters and ranch/save the extra slurry. That saved out slurry can then be used to make another (overbuild) starter, etc.

OK I'll chime in on this. FWIW, I completely agree with @IslandLizard here in that WLP does have a solid reputation for packaging their stuff well. WHile I also wish their packaging could just say "100B cells" or whatever amount it is, they do give you the data that you need to determine the amount of cells on the date of packaging. All you need to do is go to yeastman.com, click on "QC" in upper right hand corner, and then enter your packages LOT number. Its easy peazy. I'll attach my current yeast package Next gen WLP001 here so you can actually compare what the yeastman data gives you to the package yourself. Essentially though this is 2.15B cells / ml so given that the next gen pure pitch is 70ml (up from previous 40ml), it is 150B cells, on the date of packaging. What I find frustruating though is that when I purchase this package in the store two week ago I saw the "best before date" of 12/22/2023 and thought, man its august, this must be fresh yeast because I'm over 4 months away from the best before date and IIRC WLP used to guarantee (loosely used term) their yeast for at least 5months. The problem: when you enter my LOT number into yeastman.com, the QC report shows the best before date of 10/23/2023! So the package and the QC report have "best before" dates that are to months apart. Come to find out my specific lot number was shown to be packaged on 5/26/2023. So the yeast was "older" than I expected when purchasing but now WLP is seemingly guaranteeing yeast viability for 7 months based on the package, but 5 months based on the QC report.

In summary - assume the new 70ml next gen pure pitches are ~150B cells at packaging, but I have no clue on how long they are seemingly trying to guarantee viable yeast for, 5months vs 7 months based on different best before dates.

Couldn't agree more with @IslandLizard though in that the travel conditions for liquid yeast are vastly underestimated.

thumbnail_IMG_6848.jpeg

I agree with the travel uncertainty, especially when I have yeast from USA to New Zealand.
Build a starter and control your destiny.

That said I've propped up yeast or packets of unopened yeast from the back of the fridge well beyond their date.
It's tenacious stuff.
In fact given the current packaging why use a whole package when you could build 5ml up to a full pitch.

So the yeast was "older" than I expected when purchasing but now WLP is seemingly guaranteeing yeast viability for 7 months based on the package, but 5 months based on the QC report.

I wouldn't interpret any "Best By" date as any sort of guarantee of viabilty. Yeast cells are dying the day they are packaged, and they continue to die until there are no viable cells left. What's important is how many cells you start with, the rate they are dying, and the number of cells a particular batch needs. Nothing special happens on the "Best By" date, or the day before, or the day after. That date might be a "feel good" number, but it's almost meaningless.

I wouldn't interpret any "Best By" date as any sort of guarantee of viabilty. Yeast cells are dying the day they are packaged, and they continue to die until there are no viable cells left. What's important is how many cells you start with, the rate they are dying, and the number of cells a particular batch needs. Nothing special happens on the "Best By" date, or the day before, or the day after. That date might be a "feel good" number, but it's almost meaningless.
I agree with you with my choice of words of guarantee not being optimal. I do like the fact that WLP has a ax report to show the actual date of manufacture which isn’t on the packaging. That lets us the consumer make choices about how viable the yeast may be by “x” date. I know the “best before” date appears a bit arbitrary but it seems that the “next gen” packaging is better in terms of affecting the rate at which the cells are dying (under ideal conditions). IIRC all the first gen pure pitch packing AND QC reports were always 5 months from manufacture to the best before date. Now with this package of next gen, my wlp001 QC report goes from may to October (5 months) but the actual packages goes to December (7 months). Either this is a mistake on WLP part OR they are now thinking that their packaging is good for 7 months. Will probably email wlp directly to get at this discrepancy. Cheers

Next gen WLP001 here so you can actually compare what the yeastman data gives you to the package yourself. Essentially though this is 2.15B cells / ml so given that the next gen pure pitch is 70ml (up from previous 40ml), it is 150B cells, on the date of packaging.
Thanks for sharing your lot number so I could see a report. I am not sure why the report uses the text "MADE TO CONTAIN 2.15 BILLION CELLS/mL". It seems like it should just say what was measured, but for now I will just assume that the pack has 2.15 B/mL.

I have read reports that the new packs had 200B or 225B cells. I suspect that might be from people hearing a number like "2.15B cells per ml" and confusing that will "215B cells per pack".

I use a lot of dry yeast these days, but my preference for liquid yeast from major brands might be (based on prices at my local shop):
  • Omega or Imperial pack for $14
  • Wyeast pack for $10 with a starter
  • White Labs for $15
Oddly, I have seen the White Labs packs listed from around $14 to $20. White Labs was my goto liquid yeast lab for years, so I would not have a huge issue with paying an extra ~$3 just to use a familiar strain (even if other labs offer the "same" strain).

It's unfortunate that yeast labs are forced to play speakeasy with their product but it's easy to understand. Most of their customer base (including potential customers) just want to know what they need for a batch and how much it's going to cost.

Okay, we have this yeast for you and it's $10.

Ok cool, that's enough for 5 gallons?

Yes, well um, probably. Wait. What is your gravity, ferment temp, and how old is the package at your homebrew shop?

Nevermind, I'm going to use this other lab's yeast because they told me one pack is DEFINITELY good enough for 5 gallons.

People want it to be simple, when it cannot practically be simplified. Do you just cater to the desire and sell the damned product?

Mainly for the one-size-fits-all avoidance, but they are probably loose with the language so some litigious punk doesn't whip out a microscope, compare the results to the label "claim", and file a lawsuit because the pack doesn't actually contain the exact cell count that the label would state. See Subway's $5 Footlong debacle.

PurePitch and PP Next Gen have an excellent record on keeping high cell viability over time, with only 3-6% decline per month when handled correctly.

Just as important as the mere cell count in the package, are age and temps during storage and transportation.
5 days in a hot truck or 1/2 a day in a mailbox in hot weather can create havoc on the viable cell count.

Since many of those factors are usually unknown, it's always best to make a starter a few days to a week before brewing/pitching. It at least proves yeast viability while vitality and cell count are increased.
I therefore always use this yeast pitch calculator for estimates:
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
Given today's fairly high (and rising) pricing and shipping costs, it's also a good habit to overbuild the starters and ranch/save the extra slurry. That saved out slurry can then be used to make another (overbuild) starter, etc.
Absolutely. There ain’t no free lunch, as in thinking this new packaging will alleviate the (recommended) need for a starter, at least to spike the viability if not the cell count.

Shortcuts often lead to disappointing outcomes.

Am i the only one freaking out over spending $20 for a pack of yeast? Kinda seems like White labs is saying screw homebrewers no? A real bummer because i Love WLP530 but due to the pricing i am looking at other options.

Am i the only one freaking out over spending $20 for a pack of yeast? Kinda seems like White labs is saying screw homebrewers no? A real bummer because i Love WLP530 but due to the pricing i am looking at other options.

Well, $20 is overpriced for an overpriced yeast. Here's a version of that strain with about 50B extra cells.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/oyl-028x.htm

I’m prepared pay $1 for 1ml yeast slurry that I could step up to produce something better.

Nice. How long do you keep those?
Ideally, they should be re-sloped after about 6 months, but they can maintain viable cells >12 months. These miniature slopes/slants are part of a storage experiment. The ‘gold standard’ for storing brewer’s yeast, microbiologically speaking. Significantly less (petit) mutation than freezing.

What are the benefits of slanting/sloping yeast samples over freezing yeast samples in glycerol? I’ve been freezing yeast samples for several years and fortunately haven’t had any problems with thawing.

Is the main benefit with agar agar sloping the issue of storage temperature? Otherwise it seems like the prep process for freezing is less complex and the propagation prior to pitching is much less involved with less chance for contamination.

What are the benefits of slanting/sloping yeast samples over freezing yeast samples in glycerol? I’ve been freezing yeast samples for several years and fortunately haven’t had any problems with thawing.

Is the main benefit with agar agar sloping the issue of storage temperature? Otherwise it seems like the prep process for freezing is less complex and the propagation prior to pitching is much less involved with less chance for contamination.
Freezing is for long-term storage and, if done properly, a lot more complicated than storing on nutrient agar slopes at fridge temperature. Slopes are for storing more readily accessible quality-controlled cells on an ongoing basis for up to 12 months. No freeze-thaw stresses or dehydration and QC’d prior to sloping therefore ready to go. The agar provides a matrix through which nutrients slowly diffuse to support the yeast cells during growth, shipping and storage. Much kinder conditions with a much lower mutation rate. Why it’s been a standard format for commercial breweries for years, in fact. A meaningful comparison between frozen yeast cells (especially using crude home-brew hacks) and QC’d yeast cells stored in agar shows why slopes are an industry standard.

Is it possible/practical to freeze agar slants for extended storage if glycerol was used as a substitute for mineral oil to prevent cell wall rupture? If an agar slant is viable with healthy yeast for 6~12 months at refrigerator temperatures, could freezing extend this by years with less concern for infection or genetic drift/mutation that can occur in “home freezing” (non-laboratory) settings?

Back