Caskarillo IIPA...dry hoppage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusWatab

Reaction score
Racked the caskarillo into the secondary over an ounce of homegrown cascade and some amarillo beauties!

image-3869324310.jpg

image-3915769452.jpg

image-1272931321.jpg

AWESOME. How did/will you bottle/keg while leaving all that plant material behind?

Also, is the Vodka for drinking? or are you using it for something?

I will need to very carefully rack from under the hop cap but above the yeast sediment at bottom. I know I will lose some brew due to hop absorbtion but thats the way it goes. The vodka is for drinking yes but I also use it in my airlock.

I would like to hear more about "preparing hops". I thought about this before dry hopping...about the hops being sanitary etc. Please enlighten me...

Thank you.

I will need to very carefully rack from under the hop cap but above the yeast sediment at bottom. I know I will lose some brew due to hop absorbtion but thats the way it goes. The vodka is for drinking yes but I also use it in my airlock.

Mmm do you drink the vodka after its been in the airlock? Save that it doesn't leech any plastic, it might taste good. I know the smell I've gotten from my airlock has been pretty good before.

Haha. Yeah I am constantly smelling my airlock. Love that smell. I have tasted the vodka in the past but its been awhile. Maybe I will need to take a vodka hop shot after this is done...

Hops are natural preservatives. There is no need to prepare them in any way before using them in your beer.

This should explain the contamination question the best I believe.

"By far, the best time to dry hop is after most or all fermentation had taken place. Once wort has fermented into beer, it has become a more biologically stable. For example, after fermentation is complete, beer is anaerobic, meaning there is no oxygen dissolved in the beer. Many beer spoilage organisms are aerobic, and in the absence of oxygen, these spoilage organisms remain permanently dormant. Second, the beer now contains alcohol, which further inhibits spoilage organisms. Finally, the process of yeast fermentation drops the beer's pH, making the environment inhospitably to the bad guys. Three strikes and you're out."

source

"http://www.boomchugalug.com/dry_hopping.htm

Back