Carboys....Why??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Would someone please explain to me why people use carbys and better bottles? I personally can't imagine using either due to the cleaning issues. Brew buckets, or in my case a Walmart Ice Tea jug and a Brew Demon, both 3 gallon capacity work great, and are fairly easy to clean. I own 2 brew buckets, two smaller fermenters, a number of jugs with spigots, two carboys, a bottle filler that I don't use, barley crusher, brew bag, stock pot, several fermentation locks, etc.
The carboys get used for secondary on kombucha. When I have to clean them, I use Muriatic acid and a pressure washer. I can only imagine the mess a dried krausen would make. What is the attraction? I'd bottle in wide mouth bottles if it was practical!!

I'm a newbie so please excuse my ignorance. I started all grain brewing in February. I've brewed 22 batches of all grain beer since that time. I'm having a ball experimenting with hops and various malts and adjuncts. I've only followed a recipe twice in that time.
Prior to that I hadn't brewed beer since the late 60's when all you could get was malt syrup or "hop flavored malt syrup". Try finding malted grain, or hops in those days. And I was living in Portland, Or. at that time. Head of household could brew 200 gallons of wine per year for home consumption, brewing beer at home was illegal!! We speculated about sprouting grains and roasting them to make our own malt.......... It was laborious to even research something like that back then. The nearest computer was in Seattle, and took up 3 floors at the University of Washington!! I know......... I paid $20 per minute of processor time to use it!!!!

Things have changed....... We have good beer, not the crap that was called "beer" in those days. There were a few red ales available, and Heidleburg made an Alt that was pretty decent, and Bilitz (Later known as Henry's) made a Bavarian Dark that was great compared to everything else on the market.
I was under age, needless to say. I turned 21 in 1976, but by that time I'd run through the alcohol thing. I'd been brewing beer and wine since the age of 14, and turned legal here in Montana at 18 (1973). Coors was special.... because you couldn't get it in Oregon, Washington, or Montana, and I made thousands of dollars trafficing in Coors as a result. My own beers were pathetic, but I had nothing decent to work with! Light and dark extract, hop flavored or not. I did use some wild hops & garden hops when I had the chance, but there was no way to judge what the result would be. It was wine and moonshine for me. I built my first still at 16! But I didn't know about heads and tails, but we learned that the first stuff was bad, as was the last stuff.
At 17, I would take my dad's car to the Beer distributor with a list, and pick up between 10 and 20 cases of beer.... $2.80 per case for "premium" beers. $5.00 in the store, but the store wouldn't sell to me. I paid by check, arrogantly throwing my driver's license out for them as they required a driver's license to accept a check. They must have thought my dad owned a bar. In fact he was a tea totaler and a preacher who would have been horrified had he known. But how many kids write checks to pay for 20 cases of beer at a time? Chutzpa, my Jewish friends called it. But I was very very careful about who drank my beer, and how much, where, and what they did...... I as a hard ass, and as a result nobody ever got busted.
Ah........the good old days. Were they? Truth be told they weren't. We had Vietnam staring us in the face. They were good because we were young, bold, and immortal. Many of those people are long gone. I went to a class reunion (40) last summer, and didn't meet a single classmate I knew......not one!! I did meet several faculty I remembered and who remembered me (not surprisingly).

.......... Oops. I find myself rambling. Not uncommon at all. Sorry.

H.W.

Carboys are wonderful for many things. After fermentation slows, it's important to not have a lot of headspace. Instead of a bucket with a very wide headspace, carboys are used for secondary. The shape makes it maybe a bit harder to clean inside-but it is absolutely perfect for beer wine and cider as well as mead.

For brewers who don't make lagers or who don't use a clearing vessel, a carboy may not be of much use. But for those of us who do, a carboy is irreplaceable.

Making the switch myself. I sometimes open my buckets to get an idea of how it's going and the last few got an infection. Nice thing about carboy is you can see without removing the top. Also, can pop in a 1" tube for blow offs when the yeast go nutty.

A lot of us will ferment in anything we can get away with. I've big glass juice jugs and those iced tea cube containers with a spigot on them.

I've also carboys. They are see through, and if cleaned right after being emptied, not too much fuss. A carboy brush works great. It doesn't have to be a "carboy brush", either. A big bottle brush. A big aquarium brush.

Weird. I use my glass carboys for brews and wines when I think it will be difficult to clean them. I give them a soak with 1step and they come clean with very little effort.

Carboys are great for everything, with the exception of possible death and mutilation.

I loved all 3 of mine until I opened a thread here with terrifying photos.

Better bottles are easily cleaned with soak and shake, and occasionally, a soft cloth in about a quart of PBW solution takes off the most stubborn krauesen. I love my BB and I like that i can see through them. Scratches on buckets are easy to miss, scratches on the inside of a carboy or BB are nearly impossible to miss. Way less O2 permeation, there's about a million reasons. I always use BB personally as the glass horror stories scare me, but there's not ONE RIGHT WAY to do stuff, and the sooner we all get our heads around that, the fewer of these ridiculous c0ckwaving threads over plastic vs. glass...we'll see.

better bottles are also very easy to clean. Soak with Oxyclean, rinse, swirl a washcloth, rinse well, done!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The exposed surface area of beer on a 12" brew bucket is 113.1 inches/sq. The exposed surface area of beer in a properly filled carboy (such as in a secondary for aging lagers as mentioned) is 4.91 inches/sq. So, there's 23 times more surface area for potential oxidation in a bucket. Throw in head space on said vessels and with 4" of headspace in the bucket there's 452 cubic inches of potentially oxygen containing air above it, where there's only 9.82 cubic inches of something above the carboy's liquid assuming 2" headspace.

That's important when lagering, it's important when making wines, and important when making meads. For an Ale that spends a few weeks hanging around before it goes into bottles and it's still got carbonation - you can use your buckets.

Homebrew stores probably began catering to home wine makers for whom a vessel which can minimize exposed surface area is a big deal.

Another consideration is moving the vessel. Nearly all buckets will deform some when moving, which means some sucking in of atmospheric air and also the liquid in the airlock. A rigid container is superior in this respect.

Hahaha, as I mindlessly scanned the text I got more and more perplexed...

"Please explain to me why people use carbys and better bottles? ... yadda yadda yadda... buckets are easy to clean... hmm mm... $20... University of Washington, wtf?... Vietnam?!?!? What is going here?!?"

I got pretty lost.

Hahaha, as I mindlessly scanned the text I got more and more perplexed...

"Please explain to me why people use carbys and better bottles? ... yadda yadda yadda... buckets are easy to clean... hmm mm... $20... University of Washington, wtf?... Vietnam?!?!? What is going here?!?"

I got pretty lost.

ha ha ha...We know who is the talker at the parties when he gets a few in him huh....Great ramble by the way.

Mmmmm carboys good! LOL

Cheers
Jay

Glass carboys clean extremely well. The material isn't the best for rough handling but I have several old ones and still use them. To be certain of quality, mine aren't made in China.

I am into glass and dont have much of a problem cleaning them. i have been using what looks like a 2.5 gallon glass cookie jar from walmart made by anchor hocking to make rice wine been thinking about using 3 of these in batches havent done it yet tho

I've used buckets. While nice and easy to clean. Eventually the yeast will take its toll on the buckets plastic and it will turn yellow and start to smell. Glass lasts forever and with the new wide mouth bubblers you can have the benefits of easy access and view-ability. Plus glass doesn't impart any odor or flavor so it's perfect for long time storage.

My 2 carboys have never seen a carboy brush. An overnight soak in PBW eats all that gunk away every time. Plus, I love watching fermentation :D

I don't use buckets for beer, I use clear containers. I've used 2 gallon glass ice tea jugs, and currently use a 3 gallon Brew Demon (clear), and a 3 gallon Walmart ice tea jug made of clear acrylic with a slightly greenish tint and a wonderful lid that seals by a taper fit. Both are wide enough mouth that I can get my hand down inside them.

I was using a secondary ferment, but I've abandoned that.... It can age in the bottle just fine!

Surface area IS an issue, but the large surface area makes top cropping yeast particularly easy..... I use a ladle that has been sterilized in boiling water. BUT the large surface / large opening means that probability of infection is significantly higher. I currently have a brew that has a what appears to be a lacto pellicle........ the first such problem in 22 brews. I'll cold crash and bottle starting tomorrow. There appears to be no problem as far as negative flavor. This is a Rye Wit, that was completely fermented out (2% ABV), and the small amount of lacto flavor, I suspect will be an asset rather than a liability. I bit of lacto funk should be a positive contribution.

Then I have to deal with sterilizing the container. A 3 gallon tapered acrylic ice tea jug.... very wide at the top. I'm not at all sure what boiling water will do to it......... It should be capable of taking that temp though.

The cool solution to oxygen concerns would be a floating membrane placed on top after the krausen falls.

H.W.

Nice talk HW....thanks I enjoyed reading.

I'm with you on this one, I have no need for carboys, and if I did I wouldn't even consider glass.

Potential injury as well as the potential mess of using glass just doesn't make any sense to me. I also tend to make beer that doesn't meet to be carboy conditioned. 2 weeks and straight to a keg for consumption or a bit if cellaring.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I don't use carboy's either, I prefer stainless fermenters either my stout tank, or my keg fermenter. For me its any number of reasons, including safety, ease of cleaning, harvesting yeast (stout tank), protection from light, and toughness, but I do understand why people use them. They are after all readily available, inexpensive, easy to store, impermeable (except at the airlock or blowoff), and you can see whats going on;).

Who cares what others use? I love to hear myself type but even I have limits man. Go have a home brew.

...We already have one "author wanna-be" and that's way 'nuff! Way.

But I digress. Seems we all use what we wanna use for the reasons we have for using such. Yooper's discussion regarding headspace shoulda ended this thread IMHO, very good reasoning from an experienced brewer.

I put my glass carboys in metal containers wrapped in plastic bubble wrap…. All the rest of you are wrong!

• I like to be able to see what's happening in the fermenter.
  • Glass is totally oxygen-impermeable. Plastic is not.
  • Glass carboys don't flex when I lift them to move them into/out of the fridge, sucking in oxygen. Plastic fermenters do.
  • Glass carboys are more tolerant to harsher cleaners.
  • I don't have to worry about creating tiny scratches which can harbor bacteria in a glass carboy.

Back