Carbonating in Mini Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyrmc23

Reaction score
I've always bottled my beer, but my wife bought me a mini keg (the Keg Smith to be exact) and I'm curious how I'd go about carbing my beer using that. I've seen some people force carb with it by shaking and what not.

My question is can I go the priming sugar route with corn sugar and just carb directly in the keg? If so, any recommendations or steps for a first timer?

Unless you have a CO2 setup, I would probaby prime and condition in the keg. Force carbing with 16 gram CO2 cartridges gets expensive quickly. Once the beer is ready you can then serve with the 16 gram cartridges.

Unless you have a CO2 setup, I would probaby prime and condition in the keg. Force carbing with 16 gram CO2 cartridges gets expensive quickly. Once the beer is ready you can then serve with the 16 gram cartridges.
Okay cool. So do I prime the same
way I’d do it with the bottles (corn sugar in boiling water) but just do that in the keg?

Okay cool. So do I prime the same
way I’d do it with the bottles (corn sugar in boiling water) but just do that in the keg?

Correct. prime for the volume you have going in to the keg. If you are going to bottle what doesn't go in to the keg then just proceed as you normally would. Fill the keg and bottle the rest. Seal the keg and let it sit for 2 weeks. Do not open it to check.

At the end of 2 weeks, put it in the refrigerator before serving.

Does that have a floating dip tube? If not, you may have to shorten the dip tube by an inch to to avoid getting too much yeast/trub in the first few pours.

Back