Carbonating in Cans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gradnin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired a hand-cranked 225 series All-American Seamer for 12oz or 16oz aluminum cans. I have been filling the cans from a keg via a beer gun (well, Last Straw). Thus far I have found this to be a messy process with too much foam and too much wasted beer -- hoping that I get better at it with practice. I will continue to do this for IPAs and other drink-fresh beers. But, traditionally I prefer to "bottle" condition stouts and other higher OG beers.

Have any of you tried in conditioning in cans, instead of bottles? Just wondering if there are any special considerations that need to be made for cans vs bottles. Also interested in trying this as the filling process seems like it would be significantly easier with uncarbonated beer.

I know there are some commercial breweries that do this with success. Just like bottle carbing there's a chance for explosions, but I'd honestly rather have a can explode than a bottle.

Back