Carapils...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronsseven

Reaction score
So I have decided to do my first PM so I went to my local LHBS to get some ingredients. I searched through what they had and found 2 of the things I would like to use and each bag had a boat load of information on it. Upon purchase the dude at the counter asked me if I wanted the grains cracked and I said "Sure!" He cracked, bagged them up, and I was on my way. Last night when I went to use them I noticed he took them out of the original bags, cracked them, put them in other bags thus removing the useful lables...now they just have abbreviations on them and guess what? Im not sure what the hell they are! Based on a little research I am fairly confident that neither are two row and only non-fermentables will come out of them. The abbreviations are Cara 20 and just Carapils...just looking for some conformation on this fellas. Thanks!

Carapils is mainly used a body enhancer. It does little to nothing in the way of flavor and not necessary when you're using extract since extract already contains a portion of carapils. Rarely do extract or partial mash brewers of "pale" ales have problems with abnormally thin body, so you don't really need to add carapils. Cara 20, or Caramel 20, or Crystal 20, or C20 is a lightly flavored caramel sweet malt. The starches in cara malts have already been turned to sugars and the malt is ready for steeping.

Using both of these specialty grains with extract will not give you a Partial Mash beer. However, if you include 2-row in the mix, then you would be mashing that malt (not steeping it) and you would have a Partial Mash beer.

Latest posts

Back