Carapils vs Malto Dextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abdominousabel

Reaction score
Hey all,

So my saison recipe calls for “American - Carapils (Dextrin Malt)” and I went to my LHBS and they didn’t have Carapils as a grain but they had Malto Dextrin and it looks exactly like DME or Dextrose. I was wondering if these to are the same. And if so what is the ratio between the two.

Carapils is a malt, specifically the lightest crystal/cara malt. Any crystal malt less than 10° L would be a suitable substitute.

Maltodextrin is powderized dextrin (short, unfermentable sugar chains). It's used to increase body, primarily in extract brewing.

Carapils is a flavorless crystal malt that does nothing to help or hurt your brew. Substitute with base malt and you'll notice zero difference.

Maltodextrin is unfermentable, flavorless, and used to boost body.

I use neither one, although I might use maltodextrin if body was thin and watery. I wouldn't use Carapils anymore.

Science:

http://scottjanish.com/dextrins-and-mouthfeel/

My bill calls for 0.5lb of carapils should I just use 0.5lb of 2row? I have Crystal 40L on hand should I use a dash of that to replace the carapils?

It’s a 5Gal batch so I doubt .5lb would do much

I think whether or not carapils makes a significant contribution depends on the style. In something like a light lager or blonde ale, I think it's noticeable (though subtle).

It might be noticeable in a saison. Whether it's really appropriate in a saison is another question entirely.

I just went out and bought Carapils on my lunch break, might as well follow the recipe to know the intent of the saison, then I’ll tweak from there. Thanks for clearing that up

Back