Cantillon Master Glassware List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sheet tracks posters, you going to include all other brewerania like t-shirts / signs / etc?
I added a poster from my own collection but that is more to remember that I have it and need to frame it. I think Glassware/jugware is enough. Although we could add another tab...

I added a poster from my own collection but that is more to remember that I have it and need to frame it. I think Glassware/jugware is enough. Although we could add another tab...
I still need to frame the posters I brought back last September. Goddamn, I really want to hang those...

I didn't see this one:
AAzcwEC.jpg

i've been trying to track down this glass for a while now !

anddddddd i want one :eek:

i don't know what the availability of that was, or the amount produced. i know its gonna be harder to track down since its from 2012 but i'm still trying to get it
Maybe try posting an ISO instead of posting a comment implying that you are ISO one.

I added a poster from my own collection but that is more to remember that I have it and need to frame it.

That poster has nothing to do with Zwanze Day. It's a poster for Cantillon's Open Brew Days (really the word means brewing session), and it says so right across the top. The bottom just says "Brussels folklore and zwanze (humor) guaranteed".

That poster has nothing to do with Zwanze Day. It's a poster for Cantillon's Open Brew Days (really the word means brewing session), and it says so right across the top. The bottom just says "Brussels folklore and zwanze (humor) guaranteed".
The Belgian I received the poster from said it was given to him from the brewery at one of the original Zwanze Day events. Maybe it isn't a "Zwanze" day poster but a Cantillon poster made for an event that was a precursor to Zwanze Day.

Where is Oceania? Are you a Belgian now living down under?

The Belgian I received the poster from said it was given to him from the brewery at one of the original Zwanze Day events. Maybe it isn't a "Zwanze" day poster but a Cantillon poster made for an event that was a precursor to Zwanze Day.

Where is Oceania? Are you a Belgian now living down under?

Definitely not a Zwanze Day event. Zwanze Day introduced the Zwanze beer series in 2008. Your poster is word-for-word an advertisement for their public brewing sessions that happen every year. See the Dutch version here: http://www.cantillon.be/br/Cantillon.php?lang=2&page=14

Could have been a spare sitting around at Zwanze Day 2008, I guess, but it's for Openbrouwdag.

I would say that is nice enough to add to the master list.

yeah i don't think many of these were made, they just had some hanging on the wall and thats about it. the manager tossed it my way it was a really great spot for the event. i'm sure other bars/breweries had posters similar to this i'd love to see them if anyone has one

yeah i don't think many of these were made, they just had some hanging on the wall and thats about it. the manager tossed it my way it was a really great spot for the event. i'm sure other bars/breweries had posters similar to this i'd love to see them if anyone has one
Added...

I finally got around to measuring the old-style Cantillon tumblers I brought back last night, and I added the results to the spreadsheet on a new tab. Some key takeaways:

1) There are at least 4 different types of glasses they've used. I had 3 different glasses used for the "Gueuze Kriek" and 2 for the "Gueuze Kriek Lambic Faro", with 1 being common between them. I only have 7 total glasses so that's about the maximum variation I could see anyway.

2) The differences are pretty obvious looking at them, but they'd be hard to measure accurately if you don't have calipers (except for the number of flutes, which you can just count). Some of the changes are on the order of a 1/16", which is doable with a tape measure but way easier with calipers. I don't know how many other people can contribute to this because of that, but we can try!

3) I'm only looking at those two types of glasses. I don't have any of the Script tumblers so I don't know if they vary at all, and I don't think the new ones do.

4) I might be the only person who cares at all. Entirely conceivable.

tumblers are also used for a lot of different styles and drinks where as a shaker pint glass isn't

I use tumblers sometimes when I drink "shelf" lambic and certain lighter saisons. But the higher end stuff usually gets stem treatment.

tumblers are also used for a lot of different styles and drinks where as a shaker pint glass isn't
This is opposite of truth. Shaker pints, in America, as well as much of Europe (though more frequently Nonic-style and larger than 12 oz), are a frequent catch all for many styles of beer in general pubs, and you will much more infrequently find footed or stemware unless in a specialty beer bar that know to serve in proper style glassware. Geuze tumblers are much more frequently sequestered to lambic and other wild ales, and occasionally used in other farmhouse ales like Saisons or Grisettes.

Go to 90% of bars or pubs in the US, UK, Italy, Spain, Germany (admitted mug/stein popularity), and many other major European country and you'll find the majority of beer glassware to be shakers and nonics. You aren't going to find British cask ales, German lagers, American Lagers, and many other smaller European regional styles (Czech, Italian, etc.) in anything with a stem, and certainly not in a Geuze style tumbler.

Try naming 10 bars in the top of your head that you can even specially ask for a Lambic/Geuze tumbler, excluding Wild Ale or Lambic brewpubs or brewery tasting rooms.

The other problem is that the term "tumbler" is a vague term. In the beer community, it almost exclusively refers to a smaller, non-footed, often times angular cut sidewalls, and produced almost only by wild and spontaneously fermented brewers and breweries. The term tumbler is also often used for whiskey glasses, and can really suit a broad variety of glassware in general, even making it hard to differentiate from a Shaker pint in many cases.

As I suspected, there is no reason. I thought maybe I was overlooking something. I should have known better.

Fancy pint glasses are cool with me.

Armand recommends a use for each:

Tumbler = for young (1st year of bottling or so) gueuze to allow certain undesirable aromas to escape/breathe (sulfur, etc).

3F stem = anything older than 1-2 years (gueuze, krieks, Armand'4, OGV, etc) to keep the precious aroma trapped.

Armand recommends a use for each:

Tumbler = for young (1st year of bottling or so) gueuze to allow certain undesirable aromas to escape/breathe (sulfur, etc).

3F stem = anything older than 1-2 years (gueuze, krieks, Armand'4, OGV, etc) to keep the precious aroma trapped.
Funny, that's not how they do it in their restaurant!

Funny, that's not how they do it in their restaurant!

I know. It's not how it's done almost anywhere over there (although, you do see a fair amount of lambic served with a Cantillon stem). Seems like 80% tumblers. The 3F stems probably break too easily in restaurant use, cost too much, etc. More of a recommendation for personal use...

I know. It's not how it's done almost anywhere over there (although, you do see a fair amount of lambic served with a Cantillon stem). Seems like 80% tumblers. The 3F stems probably break too easily in restaurant use, cost too much, etc. More of a recommendation for personal use...
I wonder if that's why Cantillon made that gold balloon, it's a much heftier glass. It's also the only non-tumbler I can recall seeing in use for lambic at any Belgian bar.

Does anybody have any idea how many Quintesence and JK Zwanze 2012 glass were made? I'm having such a hard time landing both of them, I've about given up.
My guess is zero 2012 JK Zwanze glasses were made. They didn't host and didn't even have an onsite liquor license at that time.

2013, I have heard 120.

My guess is zero 2012 JK Zwanze glasses were made. They didn't host and didn't even have an onsite liquor license at that time.

2013, I have heard 120.
More than 120... although I like the idea that at one time I owned 10% of them (I've got 2 left and they're all mine. ;) ). I think it was closer to 600-700. They lasted for Zwanze Day weekend and another weekend afterwards. Most people were buying 2+ and the place was packed.

At the bare minimum, shaker glasses have zero aesthetic appeal. Gueuze tumblers are moderately better. And anything associated with gueuze/lambic is going to have some of inherent appeal.

Back