Can't tell if this is normal or first signs of an infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had an infected beer before, at least not that I'm aware of. I made a mead a few weeks ago with an original recipe and was going to take a sample to taste and test. I was on the high side of the recommended yeast temp so I wanted to make sure I didn't end up with jet fuel and should just cut my losses and dump it. As I looked into the fermenter before I took a sample, I see a few little bumps on the surface. They look like small pellicles but I suppose they could be collections of CO2 bubbles that haven't broke the surface yet. What do you think? Infection or normal? I guess either way, I might as well wait a few weeks to see what happens. I decided to not take a sample in case it was infected. I didn't want to taint my plastic wine thief.

sAD9gX0.jpg

xPo80r1.jpg

Pretty sure it's infected. It's still fermenting away so I'll just let it ride for a while. Must have been something in there from the get-go because I have not opened the fermenter since initially filling it.

FFbiGui.jpg

Pretty sure it's infected. It's still fermenting away so I'll just let it ride for a while. Must have been something in there from the get-go because I have not opened the fermenter since initially filling it.

FFbiGui.jpg
Had an infection once that started looking almost identical. Also had a batch that tinted turned out fine and looked almost identical when botteling... So 50/50 chance from my perspective.

My flavor profile target is something close to NG Serendipity (cherry, apple and cranberry) so a little sour flavor shouldn't be a problem. My plan was to rack onto cherries in a secondary but maybe I'll just skip the cherries this go around. Or I guess I could just add them into the primary? I'll just have to keep anything that's touched this stuff separate now. If this batch turns out OK taste-wise, I may try it again in all new equipment to see if another infection starts. Then maybe I can attribute it to the inputs and not the process.

How long has it had that much headspace? That's the issue I see.

3 weeks. It's in the primary and hasn't been opened since I filled it on brew day. Not sure how much O2 there could be once fermentation started, but who knows. I aerated it pretty good when I transferred it to the fermenter. Pitched rehydrated yeast. Fermented on the high side of the temp range. This was a 3 gal batch in a 5 gal fermenter. Some of my previous meads had decent krausens so I didn't want to use a 3 gal fermenter, but this one never had a krausen at all, probably due to the yeast strain (D47).

Back