Cannular vs Oktober SL1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsychoBiter

Reaction score
Looking into a canner and trying to justify the SL-1. I have read about the cannular only accepting Can Fresh cans, but you can buy these Cannular cans off ebay from 2 different sellers. $92/for 207 shipped. They even have the 360 mouth available $99 for 207 shipped. I know the cans the SL1 use are cheaper, but not by a lot in same quantities that I found. ($76 for 192)

So while these are special cans for the Cannular, they are somewhat available in the US and the machine is $515.00 shipped with the power supply vs $849 plus shipping for the SL1.

By my calculations I would have to can over 4500cans just to break even with the SL1.

Am i way off on this? Is there any chance anyone has used both and can compare or done more research?

I looked at the cannular and went with the Oktober SL1 instead. The reason for doing this is that many of the local brewers are canning now, so too are many of the brew pubs or places that have taps and sell crowlers for take home. I have not approached them about buying cans, but I suspect that I will be able to do that once I run out. I was worried about buying a proprietary canning system and instead opted for cans that everyone is using. If the larger companies went to cannular cans then I'd say go for it, but if the proprietary company were to go tits up, you'd be in a pickle.

Thanks for the response. I really like the SL-1, but the cost difference is significant!

I think the claims about the Can Fresh cans being different/propreitary have been blow out of proportion. I could be wrong, or just slow,but I have been doing some more research on the Cannular seamer and the Can Fresh cans and the only thing propreitary/different about the Cannular/Can Fresh cans is the height.

Can Fresh/Cannular can are 16.9oz vs US 16oz cans. Both the Cannular and the SL-1 use the 202 diameter cans with the B64 lids, so the diameters are the same.
I am getting that info from US sites selling the Cannular, but I can't specifially find that info on the Kegland site, just and can spec sheet inthier 16.9oz cans.

The only difference vs the SL-1 (in regards to can sizes) is that the Cannular's plastic table spacer is specifically designed to work with 500ml (16.9 oz) vs the SL-1 with 16oz cans. Cannular has an optional table for their 330ml (11.2 oz) cans, so we know the height can be changed simply by replacing the plastic table.

If something went haywire with the 16.9oz Cannular Can Fresh supply, I could just 3D print a new table to work with the US 16oz cans, I think. Hell, the table may even be adustable enough on the Cannular to make up for it. The difference in height is less than 7/16", from what I have found.

I have a email in to Kegland AU to verify and will update the thread if I find anything out, they may not tell me what I want to know because they want to keep selling thier cans.

MD

Thanks for the response. I really like the SL-1, but the cost difference is significant!

I think the claims about the Can Fresh cans being different/propreitary have been blow out of proportion. I could be wrong, or just slow,but I have been doing some more research on the Cannular seamer and the Can Fresh cans and the only thing propreitary/different about the Cannular/Can Fresh cans is the height.

Can Fresh/Cannular can are 16.9oz vs US 16oz cans. Both the Cannular and the SL-1 use the 202 diameter cans with the B64 lids, so the diameters are the same.
I am getting that info from US sites selling the Cannular, but I can't specifially find that info on the Kegland site, just and can spec sheet inthier 16.9oz cans.

The only difference vs the SL-1 (in regards to can sizes) is that the Cannular's plastic table spacer is specifically designed to work with 500ml (16.9 oz) vs the SL-1 with 16oz cans. Cannular has an optional table for their 330ml (11.2 oz) cans, so we know the height can be changed simply by replacing the plastic table.

If something went haywire with the 16.9oz Cannular Can Fresh supply, I could just 3D print a new table to work with the US 16oz cans, I think. Hell, the table may even be adustable enough on the Cannular to make up for it. The difference in height is less than 7/16", from what I have found.

I have a email in to Kegland AU to verify and will update the thread if I find anything out, they may not tell me what I want to know because they want to keep selling thier cans.

MD
Either way you go-canning is pretty cool. If you can rig it great-I was watching an Oktober on ebay and it got out of sight so I went with the SL1. Several of the local shops have them and they report no problems. I also like the fact that they are made here in the States. But like I said, once you put it in the can you won't want to put it anywhere else.

Interested as well. For those with Oktober, where do you get your cans? The shipping when buying direct from Oktober is $45 for each case.

I have the Oktober and have ended up buying cans from them. The are high but they offered up other suppliers who never even followed up on my emails. The gist seemed to be I was too small to matter to them. If it wasn’t 1000 cans every quarter they weren’t interested.

Interested as well. For those with Oktober, where do you get your cans? The shipping when buying direct from Oktober is $45 for each case.

Check ebay. There is a couple of sellers offering cans with free shipping for the 16.9oz Cannular cans, they may have the shorter 16oz the SL-1 uses. They are $99 for 207 with lids free shipping.

You may be able to uses these same cans with some adjustment/modification to the SL-1 table.

Back