Candied Pecan Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hrahn1995

Reaction score
So I generally make mead, but i've been dabbling a good amount in Braggots and darker beers but i had a stroke of inspiration a couple days ago while at work (pool chef at a country club). I was making Candied Pecans and it struck me! This would be amazing for a beer! so i tried to look up some recipes and didnt find anything so i've thrown together a recipe and want some experience Beer brewers (anyone on this forum) to give me some feed back.

Caramelize 3/4 cup of Maple Syrup until dark and rich, about 1 hour on med low heat.
add 3/4 of a pound of Wheat malt extract to the wort
add 1/4 of a pound of Dry Dark Malt Extract
roast for about 45 minutes 1/3 - 1/2 pound of chopped pecan

So the wort at the beginning would have the caramelized Maple, the Wheat Malt extract and the DDME. then after it starts to slow down i'll add the toasted pecans that i will have probably crush into a powder in about a cup or 2 of water so it will add nicely to the carboy.

after about 3-4 weeks move to secondary and add a hop, what kind would you all suggest?

the product will probably be about 1.069 in starting gravity, and end at about 1.006-1.010 leaving me with about 8% im hoping it wont be too dark and will have a nice froffy head.

I'll take any suggestions i can get!

Happy Brewing

I'd throw in some hops during your boil. This sounds like it's going to be really sweet. I like the candied pecan idea though, sounds like a desert drink.

Couple of questions. How big of a batch is this? What yeast are you planning on using?

I agree that you want some bittering hops it will give a balance to the beer. It will not turn out sweet because all of the sugars you are using are fermentable so if you want a sweeter flavor think about some non-fermentable stuff like lactose or some crystal malts, which can be steeped before the boil.

well im not sure what kind of hop would go good with this, like i think a noble maybe good but i dont want to take away from the pecan aroma. Its gonna be 1 gallon, and i am unsure of the yeast as of right now. its probably gonna need to be a mead yeast cuz thats all i have.

Saaz might be a good choice as that is used in a number of wheat beers. I would think twice about using mead yeast as isn't designed to work in a malt and hop environment. Invest in a liquid wheat yeast and you will be glad you did.

I do have some saaz, but i'll have to see what i can do for the beer yeast before my next brew day.

If you can't get liquid yeast try a dry ale yeast and it will work. Something like Safale 04 or 05 and that will do in a pinch.

the yeast i have is
EC-1118
ICV D-47
Premier Cuvee
Red Star Champagne
RC-212

any of these work. i know you can use the red star for barley wine

I wouldn't, none of them are truly meant for a traditional beer. I would make the effort to get a beer yeast as it will make a difference.

alright i will do my best to pick up a nice Belgian. how much hops do you suggest and for how long? any other critique other than the yeast issue

I would do 1 oz at beginning of the boil. And that is it that way you will preserve the pecan flavor and aroma. Otherwise I think it looks fine. Have fun with it, it's always a blast to try something different.

So I ended up using 1/2 lb of Pecans caramelized/ roasted in the maple until it was so very very thick/ the sap was close to dry. Used Red Star Champagne yeast.

Pecans are pretty oily; are you concerned about head retention? My wife loves pecans, so I'm very curious to see how this turns out.

yeah i know about the oils but im not very sure what effect it will have on the beer, and i know the protein from the wheat will help with head retention. I'll keep you updated as it goes

UHOH! i dont know why, but there is a slight sour taste to this brew. Im thinking it has to do with the nuts being in there too long. probably should have racked off them after a week. Im gonna add another .25 of DDME to try and balance this out when i move it to its secondary.

It's the yeast. More extract will not help. As I said before champagne yeast does not make good beer. It will finish dry and sour as it was designed to.

If you did you were lucky and the champagne yeast didn't fully attenuate. Champagne yeast is for grapes.....use beer yeast and you will get a better product.

Latest posts

Back