Candi syrup experiment, trying to clone D2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeNomad: I wouldn't worry about the pH of the syrup throwing off the pH of your wort.

I actually don't use KHCO3 anymore. I use slaked lime (pickling lime) now instead. The higher pH during cooking produces different flavors: more toasty/nutty/chocolatey, less of the dark fruit flavors.

I did my own experiment (based off your experiments) with Organic Cane Sugar (not pure white) and Organic Turbinado Sugar.

Syrup #2:
1.5lb Sucrose (Organic Turbinado)
1.5c H2O
Added 3/4tsp DAP, added @ 210*
Heated mixture to 260*
Added 3/4c H2O
Heated mixture to 320*
Added 3/4c H2O

Syrup #3:
1.5lb Sucrose (Organic Cane)
1.5c H2O
Added 3/4tsp DAP, added @ 210*
Heated mixture to 320*
Added 3/4c H2O
Heated mixture to 310*
Added 1.5c H2O

Syrup #3 with the regular Cane Sugar turned out great. Near black in color. Tasted great but didn't get those chocolately flavors D2 has.

Syrup #2 was a pain in the ass with the turbinado. I kept trying to foam over. It took a long time, and the only reason I added water at 260 was because it didn't look like there was much left. After a hell of a time keeping it from foaming over the pot, I finally finished, and it was fantastic. Got those chocolately flavors that D2 has. I plan to do them both again, and maybe some other experiments. I didn't have time to really take tasting notes or anything else because I was brewing and it went in the kettle shortly after I was done making it. They both went in a BDSA with Trappist yeast and Brett Brux. Can't wait to try it in 6 months, and a year, and 2 years. I'll try to take some notes and compare to D2. I'm not trying to clone D2, just trying to get something awesome.

Just a thought here, And yes I skipped a lot of the middle pages, but... You can get really good browning reactions at much lower temps then 300f. Try putting 2# of sugar 2C water and a teaspoon of DAP in a slowcooker on med or high (abt 225-240f) overnight. You should get some nice color change. Not D2 but a place to start

JacobS - I've actually changed my recipe around quite a bit. I no longer use DAP or KHCO3. I'm still working on it, so once I get the recipe more solid I'll post a new thread.

JacobS - I've actually changed my recipe around quite a bit. I no longer use DAP or KHCO3. I'm still working on it, so once I get the recipe more solid I'll post a new thread.

Please post a link to the new thread in this thread so I don't miss it. Thanks! :mug:

Yes, I'm looking forward to it, is it more simple of a recipe?

I know this thread is 2 years old, but...

Does anyone know if Nateo ever posted his updated recipe info? I'm really interested in it but it looks like he hasn't been on the forums in a long time and didn't respond to my PM. His blog seems abandoned too, but I'll try posting over there anyways.

@thefost...

The syrup makers made him disappear because he discovered their recipe!!! :D

I hate when you come to the end of a thread and the OP never delivered. I was very interested in his recipe too

I've heard the real candi syrup is made from the byproduct of refining rock sugar, so don't expect to make D2 in your kitchen. It's a different product, but it certainly has is uses. I use the second darkest recipe in Apfelwein and with champagne yeast I get amazing bright cherry flavors

@thefost...

The syrup makers made him disappear because he discovered their recipe!!! :D

I hate when you come to the end of a thread and the OP never delivered. I was very interested in his recipe too

I was searching around a few days ago and ran into this post about using DME instead of DAP. The results look pretty promising, I'm gonna give it a try

http://suigenerisbrewing.blogspot.ca/2013/09/making-belgian-candi-sugar.html

http://suigenerisbrewing.blogspot.ca/2013/10/belgian-candi-sugar-ii.html

Back