candi sugar and sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepyemt

Reaction score
anyone have any experience with this? Do the Candi sugars show through in the final product? appreciate any help... I'm fairly new to sours, I assume the do since I've seen recipes that call for it, but I'm not sure how much of the final flavor is left....
thanks!:mug:

Certainly the darker ones do. I’ve got a De Dolle Oerbier Reserva – inspired beer aging now, and a dark saison, with D180 and D90 respectively. Added in the boil in both cases, but you could save it for later if you wanted.

I generally don’t add any clear/pure sugars to sours. There isn’t anything wrong with it, sours just don’t tend to need help reaching high attenuation.

I generally don’t add any clear/pure sugars to sours. There isn’t anything wrong with it, sours just don’t tend to need help reaching high attenuation.

Awesome, thanks!

I was actually thinking of priming with D90 or D180 for some added complexity, Thoughts?
Thanks! Looking forward to your book coming out btw!

Awesome, thanks!

I was actually thinking of priming with D90 or D180 for some added complexity, Thoughts?
Thanks! Looking forward to your book coming out btw!

My opinion is that priming sugar is for carbonation, not flavoring. I’d rather use a pure sugar that I knew would give me the exact carbonation, rather than risk using something else. I’d rather add candi sugar, honey, fruit juice, maple syrup etc. in secondary, let it ferment out, then prime with table sugar.

Cheers! Looks like mid-June at the moment for release.

Ok, I may split the batch in the interest of curiosity. I spoke with AJ from. Candi syrups inc and he pointed me to a PDF they have in how many grams for what level of carbonation. It's the tart if darkness clone from bruery. I'll share what I find...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have an experimental Oud Bruin going right now. I did a clean primary with Wyeast 3822-PC Belgian Dark Ale. Then I racked on top of D-180 and pitched Roeselare. It's still really young, so too early to say much about it, but so far it smells pretty nice.

http://microbusbrewery.org

i've got a sour red sason that has both honey and d90 in it. it's still a month or two from completion, but the flavor of the syrup has remained so far. so i say go for it!

I made a sour brown with second runnings from a black IPA and added some home made candy syrup to boost the gravity. It turned out awesome you could really taste the syrup. I will prime with any syrup that has a decent amount of sugar in it. I've been working on a spreadsheet lately that will tell you what volume of it to add per given batch/bottle size. That way I can do half a batch with cherry concentrate and half with blueberry or whatever else concentrate.

Back