Canadian Roll Call!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Petty sparse group of Canadians on here, but I'll doff my cap and say hello all. Living on the Rock, and lived just about everywhere in Canada. Originally from U.K. Started brewing back in the 90s. Gave it up when I got married started having kids. Usually the time many start LOL.

It's been about 20 years since I last brewed, and just started again in December '18. Already on my 5th batch. Just doing extracts at present, but threatening a grain in bag job soon.

Got 60 odd pints in my cold room and still have the commercial bottles from a New Years Eve party that haven't been touched since I cracked my first home brew bottle.

Hey guys, total noob here. Fermenting my first beer ever, a Hefeweizen, think I totally screwed it up but we'll see in another couple of weeks!
How'd you make out with the hef? Second question. What is a hef? See it on here all the time, and I've never had one. Not even in a pub.

Vancouver Islander here.

Getting back into brewing after a good few years. Used to do plastic pail 'Coopers' kits and then some uBrew (including a medieval ale with Clover instead of hops!) ... Did my first 3 Gallon all grain batch a couple months ago on new gear (really like the Anvil kettle I got) as I turfed most of my cheapo/handmedown extract stuff, then life got lifey, so I'm finally giving the Belgian Table recipe another go this weekend. Trying desperately to stick to recipe until I get everything down and results are good before I start getting creative.

Vancouver Islander here.

Getting back into brewing after a good few years. Used to do plastic pail 'Coopers' kits and then some uBrew (including a medieval ale with Clover instead of hops!) ... Did my first 3 Gallon all grain batch a couple months ago on new gear (really like the Anvil kettle I got) as I turfed most of my cheapo/handmedown extract stuff, then life got lifey, so I'm finally giving the Belgian Table recipe another go this weekend. Trying desperately to stick to recipe until I get everything down and results are good before I start getting creative.

Welcome... also from Vancouver Island

I confess to being an armchair sports fan that jumps on sports bandwagons during the playoffs, accept for rugby and soccer, but you have to love them Raptors...... Few late nights watching the last couple of rounds here in Newfoundland.

Northern BC guy here. Been BIAB for about 3 years now. Just a question now, any BC people know where to pick up a 1 bbl system in our neck of the woods?

Montreal, Quebec.

Canadian wheat in 50% of my beers. Amazing how it fits in with the noble German Hops as well as the fruity Americans. I would guess 75% of my grains and adjuncts are Canadian by type, 95%+ by weight.

Wheat’s easy with a Braumeister, so not a real accomplishment to brew mostly wheat beers, more of a palate choice. Small batch brewer, 10L, 2.5 Gallon Kegs, lotsa variety and not ready to increase batch size. Still learning too much.

Hi folks,

Just found this thread. I'm just north of Vernon BC. I have a 135 plant hopyard, many varieties, am just gathering parts to build my first electric brew rig...it will be Arduino based, still reading, learning about HERMS RIMS etc... have many kegs and stainless fittings already, many fridges to convert to fermentation chambers, kegerators etc. a new 830 sq' shop to put it in...:ban:

And to top it off, planting 25 grape vines today so I can start making wine in a few years. So much to do.....but lots of fun.

Cheers

anybody got any "Canadian" recipes?
it would be nice to have a selection of beer recipes that capture the essence of each Province (maybe even Region(?)), and be made from (as much as possible) ingredients from that Province (or at least grown in Canada)

it would be nice to have a selection of beer recipes that capture the essence of each Province (maybe even Region(?)), and be made from (as much as possible) ingredients from that Province (or at least grown in Canada)

Is there such a thing?

When I think of big hit breweries in Québec, things like Brasserie du Bas-Canada or Dieu du Ciel, or before that Cheval Blanc or Unibroue, none of it really screams "Québec" to me. None of them really have much in common with each other either.

Hmm wonder if anyone has the recipe for "Lucky Lager" doesn't get more B.C. (or at least Island anyway) than that...

Where does everybody get their gear from?
You can try www.ontariobeerkegs.com. They have free shipping over $100, which takes a lot of the pain out of ordering online in Canada.

Since I haven't introduced myself yet, I'm in the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia. I've been brewing for about seven years, but took a few years off after moving around a bit. I picked it back up about a year ago, and started brewing smaller 10-12 L batches. The small batches have let me brew more often and have more variety on tap with 2.5 and 3 gal kegs.

Cheers!

Brewer in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. At it for a few years but just got finished setting up my new 30 gal garage brewery.

E22236E5-CF3D-42D8-BC25-EE1E524975AC.JPG
FE90FC46-865F-4E41-ACD7-0D84350B799C.JPG
5A390C99-6A62-4F53-B6B8-9713ABB597B0.JPG

Spike kettles but it's all custom welded tri-clamps (self-designed and done up at a local machine shop). Running a kegerator with RaspberryPints and Fermentrack with 1/3 HP chiller for the 1Bbl fermenter.

Brewer in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. At it for a few years but just got finished setting up my new 30 gal garage brewery.

View attachment 647640 View attachment 647641View attachment 647642

Spike kettles but it's all custom welded tri-clamps (self-designed and done up at a local machine shop). Running a kegerator with RaspberryPints and Fermentrack with 1/3 HP chiller for the 1Bbl fermenter.

Impressive! Where does one put the dilithium crystals? :)

No way I am showing you my BIAB setup with 4-5 x 5 gallon beef buckets, plastic airlocks, 10 gallon kettle, 30 foot garden hose, and 200 x 450 ml grolsch bottles. No way! :)

View attachment 647640 View attachment 647641View attachment 647642

I hope your beer tasts as impressive as this all looks. My BIAB operation is pathetic in comparison.

EDIT - Feck! been so long since I last posted here, I never knew I'd already repliedto @Drunkenboar, so my apologies for repetition.

Hi all,

Just found this thread. I'm brewing in Golden, BC with a 20 gal BIAbasket system. Got it setup 8 months ago and working pretty well so far. Shout out to Hop Dawgs in Armstrong BC for supplying most of my brewing supplies.

Been brewing in Edmonton for about 10 yrs. Just got a brewzilla for my birthday so I guess I don’t have to do as much heavy lifting with keggles anymore!

Back