Canadian Roll Call!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're in Surrey, try HopDawgs. They have a good selection and are in Armstrong BC.

Another good source is Ontario Beer Kegs but shipping will take a while from ON.

Hi everyone, Surrey BC all grain brewer here!!! Where is everyone getting their all grain supplies from?

I run a web based business out of Langley selling grain, hops, yeast and various other supplies.

www.brewandbeast.com

Local pickup is always welcome so you don't have to pay shipping.

If you are looking for something we don't have listed, we can usually get it from one of our suppliers.

Hi everyone, Surrey BC all grain brewer here!!! Where is everyone getting their all grain supplies from?

In coquitlam myself.

I use beyond the grape in port moody, and barleys homebrew in new west. And Dan's on east hastings if desperate...

I used Hopdawgs when i lived in kamloops but they have changed hands since I used them so I cannot vouch for them anymore.

In coquitlam myself.

I use beyond the grape in port moody, and barleys homebrew in new west. And Dan's on east hastings if desperate...

I used Hopdawgs when i lived in kamloops but they have changed hands since I used them so I cannot vouch for them anymore.

I live in Cloverdale surrey and use Barleys also, I was hoping there was somewhere a little closer to home. Thanks for the response

So I was just about to make an order with OBK, and planned to use my points to pay for shipping costs to Edmonton. To my dismay I discovered my points had disappeared, and after asking staff found out that points expire after an undisclosed period of time. It's been just over a year since I earned them so I'm guessing one year is the expiration date. Keep this in mind when you're shopping there and make sure you use your points up relatively quickly. Here's hoping they can clearly post these details on their website.

They do. You have to log in to build points though. 200 points earned = $10. Great way to cancel out the shipping charges as log as you use em before they expire.

When is everyone planted there hops this year....here in kingston ontario is been 15-22 all week. .although suppose to go down to 0 Sunday monday. ..I'm thinking about taking straw off my beds and planting new rhizomes next Wednesday. What's everyone else doing?

Warmer here as well. I planted 4 new rhizomes inside in pots last week. 2 Cent, 2 Cascade, one Cent has a couple of shoots up already, the other has one small spot of green poking through. Cascade got nothing so far.

Also have 2 Chinook, 1 Fuggles and 1 Golding starting their 3rd yr. They have been in 5gal buckets for the last 2yrs, got enough off of the 2 Chinook in their 2nd year for an oz (using it this weekend in the first brew of the season), and about an oz combined off of the other 2.

Building raised beds this year for them all this spring. While we have decent temps right now, still a touch too early here on the east coast.

Been doing some pruning here in the BC interior. Hops are up over the tops of my poles, ~12 feet+, and looping back on themselves. Been pruning mercilessly with the rototiller, a machete, and also training a couple of the runners over on to my fence.

Crazy growth, early warm spring after a mild winter. Should be a heckuva crop! Got Fuggles, Golding, Chinook, and Magnum, plus a mystery hop that may be nothing special, or it may be a descendant of the hops that used to be grown here commercially at the turn of the century (which is what is claimed as the source).

TeeJo

My hops were only about 8-10 inches tall when I saw them Tuesday. But they were 2-4 inches taller than they were saturday. 45th parallel in eastern Ontario. Winter hung in there for a while at the end

Anyone have experience with growing hops in AB? I'm in the dry and sunny south. Thinking they would do well under the arid conditions with some minor irrigation. Any varieties to recommend?

Given their growth, I would not be picky and just choose what I might use.

I knew enough folks growing grapes and such, up around Edmonton, and Cold Lake, to think that hops in LA is not a stretch.

I would maybe look for a nice sheltered spot with a Southern exposure, where the root mass will get some early heat and the reflected sunlight will do it some good, but otherwise, would not worry too much.

More worries about mulching the roots in to over-winter, really.

TeeJo

All grain brewer from Parksville BC (Vancouver Island).
I purchase grain from Barleys, Dan's homebrew in the Vancouver area and Hamilton Hops and Grapes when I am in Victoria.
Hops connect is great for bulk hops.:mug:

Anyone have experience with growing hops in AB? I'm in the dry and sunny south. Thinking they would do well under the arid conditions with some minor irrigation. Any varieties to recommend?

I grow cascade and centennial for dry hopping. The plants right now (year 2) are exploding and about 15ft tall, and starting to wind back on itself. This years yield will be crazy!!!

You should have no problems. I cover the crowns with a big pile of leaves in the fall and all is good.

You are in the "sweet spot" latitude wise for growing hops, shouldn't be an issue growing them.

I am in New Brunswick, and they grow fine, and get them from a guy in Vancouver, and his grows fine, so you should be good.

Anybody buy hops from Prairie Brew Supply in Sask? Thinking of giving them a try. I purchased a pound recently from another supplier in the east at low cost and I have a pound of sawdust.

Anybody buy hops from Prairie Brew Supply in Sask? Thinking of giving them a try. I purchased a pound recently from another supplier in the east at low cost and I have a pound of sawdust.

I'm able to pick up, so I buy most of my grain from him to avoid shipping costs. Recently bought several pounds of hops from him. It looks like he repackages from Hops Connect bulk packs. Two were well sealed, one had lost its vacuum. I always repackage my hops in sealers, vacuum and freeze. I haven't got any complaints on the quality, even on the unsealed one.

Cayuga, Ontario here 90min south of Toronto. Small town. Have to go to st Catherine's and Hamilton for my gear!

I'm able to pick up, so I buy most of my grain from him to avoid shipping costs. Recently bought several pounds of hops from him. It looks like he repackages from Hops Connect bulk packs. Two were well sealed, one had lost its vacuum. I always repackage my hops in sealers, vacuum and freeze. I haven't got any complaints on the quality, even on the unsealed one.

I've since used Prairie Brew Supply and my experience has been positive with this company. Owner is very responsive and the product is top notch. I purchased 2 lbs hops plus a few ounces extra and they came repacked as you say. Very fresh and high quality. The shipment took 2 days to arrive, which is a huge difference from the 5+ days it takes me to get orders from suppliers further afield. Prices are also the cheapest I've found on select varieties (14.50/lb Hallertauer Trad, $16/lb Columbus). My go-to online supplier from here out and I highly recommend.

Bros on the Eastcoast...We (Brathair Brewing) are doing a 5 Tap Takeover at Good Robot Brewing Company (Halifax) Dec 2, 2016. Love brewing with these guys.

Our promo video

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5zFlpHwt_c"][YOUTUBE]S5zFlpHwt_c[YOUTUBE][/ame]

Last edited:
Bros on the Eastcoast...We (Brathair Brewing) are doing a 5 Tap Takeover at Rood Robot Brewing Company (Halifax) Dec 2, 2016. Love brewing with these guys.

Our promo video

[YOUTUBE]S5zFlpHwt_c[YOUTUBE]

Good to hear stuff from the coast. I'm thinking you mean "Good" Robot as our Muslim brethren do not find them rude anymore. And your video won't load...try again bro...

PS - video works now lol.

Damnit...lol...fixed thanks

Lol. No probs bro. I have to get in to the city more...did finally get to Garrison this summer. So far since I've been back, I've only visited Boxing Rock, Salt Box and Bad Apple. Next stop will be Spindrift. One of these days I might make a foray into the interior and visits exotic places such as Unfiltered and Good Robot. Great video btw and I also believe Everwood Dave gave me one of your Grolsch clone extracts before I started all grain. Justin from Hubley I believe.

Lol. No probs bro. I have to get in to the city more...did finally get to Garrison this summer. So far since I've been back, I've only visited Boxing Rock, Salt Box and Bad Apple. Next stop will be Spindrift. One of these days I might make a foray into the interior and visits exotic places such as Unfiltered and Good Robot. Great video btw and I also believe Everwood Dave gave me one of your Grolsch clone extracts before I started all grain. Justin from Hubley I believe.

That would be me....how'd the brew turn out? I've only ever made it all grain

That would be me....how'd the brew turn out? I've only ever made it all grain

It was pretty good. Enough so that I picked up another but didn't put it on yet. I've got a few extracts and Festas stockpiled. In fact I've got three or four all grains I've yet to cook up. How did your all grain Grolsch clone turn out?

It was pretty good. Enough so that I picked up another but didn't put it on yet. I've got a few extracts and Festas stockpiled. In fact I've got three or four all grains I've yet to cook up. How did your all grain Grolsch clone turn out?

Turned out great. I don't make many clones. This one was a winner in the summer heat

Williams lake, BC checking in..
Brewed a couple extract batches, now making the move to all grain. Converted a 70 quart coleman cooler. Use a 10 gallon Mash King kettle. Brewing 10 gallong batches and fermenting in 2 glass carboys.
I get most of my supplies from True North Brew Supply in Chilliwack on my trips to the coast, gets expensive to ship all the grain...
Would love to hear if anyone else in Northern BC has a better option for supplies.
Thanks

Hey all!

New homebrewer from New Westminster (Greater Vancouver) British columbia.

Back