Can you counteract calcium chloride?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayrome2722

Reaction score
I recently made a brown ale, but on brewing day when adjusting my water I was out of calcium chloride. I found some in liquid form in a cheese kit I had laying around. I used it, but not sure how much I added. Anyway, now there is a sour taste to the beer. I tried the calcium chloride, that's definitely the taste. Is there anything I can do to reverse my mistake?

I recently made a brown ale, but on brewing day when adjusting my water I was out of calcium chloride. I found some in liquid form in a cheese kit I had laying around. I used it, but not sure how much I added. Anyway, now there is a sour taste to the beer. I tried the calcium chloride, that's definitely the taste. Is there anything I can do to reverse my mistake?

No, I don't think so. I mean, not in an addition of something else anyway. What might help is sweetening to counteract the sour- but you would have to test that by sampling the beer with some lactose (non fermentable sugar) if bottling, or with any sugar you want if kegging and chilling. Maybe honey would help? It might be worth a try, but I don't think you can ever erase "sour".

No, I don't think so. I mean, not in an addition of something else anyway. What might help is sweetening to counteract the sour- but you would have to test that by sampling the beer with some lactose (non fermentable sugar) if bottling, or with any sugar you want if kegging and chilling. Maybe honey would help? It might be worth a try, but I don't think you can ever erase "sour".
Thanks! It's worth a shot.

Back