Can Saison Yeast Form a Pellicle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protos

Die Schwarzbier Polizei
Reaction score
I believe I'm not much of a n00b in brewing Saisons (I brew them pretty often) but this time I'm witnessing a natural phenomenon I haven't seen before.

Two Saison batches (M31 and BE-134 yeasts), bottled at the same day a week ago show what I can describe as a thin pellicle in bottles (sorry, no photos). When a bottle is opened, a rain of powder particles falls down from the "pellicle" to the bottom. No taste/flavour changes, no gushing as far as I can see. Both beers are already perfectly carbed up and ready to drink. Both are attenuated pretty high (1.002 & 1.003) so I don't think there's much nutrition left for any wild bugs that might infest the bottles despite my professional-grade Peracetic Acid disinfection regimen.

So I can speculate it's rather Saison yeast floating on the surface after a week-long bottle conditioning at a highish (25C/77F) temperature.
In dozens of my previous Saision batches with the same yeasts at the same temperature I've never seen such a behaviour.
What's your experience, have you ever seen Saison yeasts floating to the surface and forming a sort of pellicle?

I ferment Saisons very hot, like 32-35C, and in the last 5 years haven't noticed anything like what's happening now.
My Saisons have had other issues (like gushing because of Fusarium-stroken grains or harsh bitterness because of the combination of alkaline water and high-cohumulone hops) but have never got infected (I believe it's pretty hard to infect a high-attenuated Saison) or formed any pellicles.
That's why I'm confused a bit.

@Protos
Here's a picture of my saison, pressure transferred into primed bottle to get 3.5 vols.
Two bottles I put in the warm to condition have this pellicle. I drank a bottle last night and it behaved as yours did. Carbonation was great, beer was clear.
Bottles primed and conditioning in the cool at around 10 to 12celsius don't have it.
IMG_20220911_071124.jpgIMG_20220911_071133.jpg

Yeast was WLP 590
https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-single?id=174&type=YEAST

Thanks @DuncB for your report, great pictures.
That's exactly how my pellicle looks. Thin whitish film, no bubbles, clear beer, no off-flavours.
Probably, might be caused by the warm bottle-conditioning.

Back