Can MLT Manifold slits/holes be too small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutab81

Reaction score
First AG batch today:

I made a manifold out of CPVC in my cooler MLT. I used a standard hacksaw, and the slits are approx 1/32". I thought I read somewhere that desired was 1/16".

Will I get a stuck mash because of the slits being too small? Is this a problem in anyway?

I also thought I read that a slow drain of the wort from the Mash in/out is good...will this just be slow?

I think yes on all points. I am not sure if it will get stuck completely, but it might be slower. Even a thicker slit will only allow as much wort to pass through as the grain will allow. The best size is one that keeps chunks from passing through, and no bigger.

You can make up for the small size by cutting twice as many. Or simply use a thicker blade if they make one and recut them.

I think yes on all points. I am not sure if it will get stuck completely, but it might be slower. Even a thicker slit will only allow as much wort to pass through as the grain will allow. The best size is one that keeps chunks from passing through, and no bigger.

You can make up for the small size by cutting twice as many. Or simply use a thicker blade if they make one and recut them.

Dont have a thicker blade at this point, so I guess I will take my chances today (having friends over to brew).

If it slows to a crawl, is it best to open and swirl around to try and get it going again?

Dont have a thicker blade at this point, so I guess I will take my chances today (having friends over to brew).

If it slows to a crawl, is it best to open and swirl around to try and get it going again?

Depends on your situation... If you are gravity draining, you could try raising the end of the drain hose (so you don't end up with a mouth full of hot wort) and blow to try to clear some of the grain without disturbing the grain bed too much.

Latest posts

Back