Can Lutra actually be such a BEAST?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pils Brosnan

Reaction score
I brewed a stout using Omega Yeast Lutra kveik. Let's go.

Lutra® Kveik

OG was 1075 and after 24 hours at 30°C (about 86°F), it reached 1027, making the beer about 6,3 %. The taste was quite harshly bitter.

After 48 hours it is still at 1027 and tastes delicious.

My question is, can this beast of a yeast actually be this fast to complete and clean after itself? Would you feel there is any reason to wait longer before kegging and carbonating?

Thanks guys and gals, brew on!

Depending on the mash temp , it might be done. I do my Lutra in the low 70's and it takes 7 or so days to get the "S" air lok to go neutral.
I let most of my ferments go 14-21 days then keg and lager for 2-4 weeks. I've made around 6 Lutra beers of different styles and all were better after 2 weeks at 33 in the lagerator.

OG was 1075 and after 24 hours at 30°C (about 86°F), it reached 1027, making the beer about 6,3 %. The taste was quite harshly bitter.

The "harsh bitterness" was probably due to stuff in suspension that hadn't settled out yet, like polyphenols and a portion of the iso-alpha acids.

After 48 hours it is still at 1027 and tastes delicious.

My question is, can this beast of a yeast actually be this fast to complete and clean after itself? Would you feel there is any reason to wait longer before kegging and carbonating?

I don't think the yeast cleaned up the harsh bitterness. I think gravity probably did that. It might be tempting to bottle/keg since it's delicious, but keep in mind that Diacetyl (in particular) may still be forming (even if you're not tasting it right now) and I'd want to make sure that it forms (and gets cleaned up) in the fermenter, before kegging.

I brewed a SMASH pale ale yesterday with mosaic. O.G. .048 , pitched lutra from yeast cake of Oktoberfest at 1:00pm at 85f. An hour later it was roaring! (Video below)Wrapped the fermenter in a blanket and 2 hours later it was 97f and my spunding valve was almost whistling. Checked it this morning and krausen was gone, everything settled out, and no CO2 coming out of the spunding valve. Had some stuff to do but when I finally had a chance to take a gravity sample at 11:00 am I was shocked. .007! In 21 hours! Took the blanket of and am letting it slowly cool to room temperature before I cold crash in the fridge. Let y’all know how it turns out. :mug:

Attachments

• IMG_0707.MOV
    14.8 MB
I brewed a SMASH pale ale yesterday with mosaic. O.G. .048 , pitched lutra from yeast cake of Oktoberfest at 1:00pm at 85f. An hour later it was roaring! (Video below)Wrapped the fermenter in a blanket and 2 hours later it was 97f and my spunding valve was almost whistling. Checked it this morning and krausen was gone, everything settled out, and no CO2 coming out of the spunding valve. Had some stuff to do but when I finally had a chance to take a gravity sample at 11:00 am I was shocked. .007! In 21 hours! Took the blanket of and am letting it slowly cool to room temperature before I cold crash in the fridge. Let y’all know how it turns out. :mug:
DAMN! Sounds and looks like a crispy boi!

I'd really like to know how Lutra compared to Oslo. I've made two beers with Voss before, and dumped them both. Perhaps a bit hasty, but I HATE the flavour I got from the Voss. Oslo was better. The first beer is on tap now, and the second one I made I pitched the wort straight onto the first's yeast cake.

The first beer was kegged after 7 days in the fermenter, with fermentation completing on Day 3. Beer is clean, but there's an almost dry yeasty bite that I'm 99% sure will just age out. The second beer fermented to completion on the yeast cake in around 18 hours. I pitched the wort onto the yeast cake early Friday evening, and a bit later on Saturday morning the krauzen had dropped and the airlock had died down. Fermentation complete. I'm still leaving it in the fermenter until the weekend though to give it a full week, just to let it clean up a bit. Both beers I fermented at ambient, meaning around 24°C or 75°F.

Then, Lutra. I picked up a packet yesterday after all the hype worldwide over it, but I want to know how it compares to Oslo. Temperatures are picking up here so if it's as clean but at a higher temp, I'll be happy. Also, it's a dry pack, so it'll store a lot longer if you buy a few and stick them in the fridge - right?

I'd really like to know how Lutra compared to Oslo. I've made two beers with Voss before, and dumped them both. Perhaps a bit hasty, but I HATE the flavour I got from the Voss. Oslo was better. The first beer is on tap now, and the second one I made I pitched the wort straight onto the first's yeast cake.

The first beer was kegged after 7 days in the fermenter, with fermentation completing on Day 3. Beer is clean, but there's an almost dry yeasty bite that I'm 99% sure will just age out. The second beer fermented to completion on the yeast cake in around 18 hours. I pitched the wort onto the yeast cake early Friday evening, and a bit later on Saturday morning the krauzen had dropped and the airlock had died down. Fermentation complete. I'm still leaving it in the fermenter until the weekend though to give it a full week, just to let it clean up a bit. Both beers I fermented at ambient, meaning around 24°C or 75°F.

Then, Lutra. I picked up a packet yesterday after all the hype worldwide over it, but I want to know how it compares to Oslo. Temperatures are picking up here so if it's as clean but at a higher temp, I'll be happy. Also, it's a dry pack, so it'll store a lot longer if you buy a few and stick them in the fridge - right?
Never used Oslo but Voss and lutra. The only thing that both have in common is that they can create a bit of a kveik acidic twang, depending on conditions. I only used lutra in the upper temperature range, I heard that at room temperature, the twang doesn't show up. So I would try it, it's pretty clean, no comparison to Voss.

Back