Can I use pillow casing as my brewing bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
I can't get a brewing bag, cheese cloth or paint strainer in my town, can I use pillow casing? On a pillow casing the holes are way thinner than a brewing bag, how will that affect the wort?

yes it will work. Any bag that will hold grain and drain water will work.

as long as the weave is fine enough to capture most of the ground/milled grain, bits and flour, it will work fine.

I'm not going to treat any individual on this board any different than anyone else.
While I appreciate the egalitarian spirit, in this case the OP is seeking advice about how to make due given the lack of availability in his country of things that most of us have the luxury of taking for granted.

While I appreciate the egalitarian spirit, in this case the OP is seeking advice about how to make due given the lack of availability in his country of things that most of us have the luxury of taking for granted.
That was never stated, it was inferred.

I never said a pillowcase couldn't work, I just offered an alternative. Why is this such a big deal?

Most anything can be used. Of course you want it to be able to let water pass. I bought some nylon fabric to make a bag with. It was so tight a weave that it wouldn't let water into the bag much less out of the bag. So I had to dump the bag and resort to a more typical mash that I poured through a large strainer at it's end.

I've long thought a leg from a pair of panty hose would work real well. However my wife hasn't worn panty hose or nylon stockings in quite a while. For a five gallon batch you might need both legs!

Your only other considerations are probably how much water the fabric itself will hold if you use a thick material. And also what dyes may have been used in it.

More than likely the weave in fabric used for sheets or pillowcases is too fine to allow the wort to drain. If there is a fabric store in your area see if they carry a fabric called voile, it is used mainly in women's clothing. Cheesecloth can also be used, although the weave is usually very loose, and two to three layers might be better. Cotton muslin (which may be more available in your country), preferably unbleached, will also work better than a pillowcase.

Brewers have been dodging the law for many years. I think I’d try a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Available at most lumber yards.
F36B0EA9-6A3A-4AD5-A68A-2C846FBA446B.jpeg

any fabric will work...just some will drain very very slowy and some will let too much grain and silt thru.

the trick is to find a fabric that balances the two.

the OP could just go to a place that sells fabric, or curtains or a local tailor or dress shop and see what he might find. bed sheets come in various qualities and thread counts.

but going to a paint store and see if they have strainer bags might be the easiest option.

There are many ways to make a mash tun.
And it doesn't need to contain a (polyester or nylon) voile bag to separate or drain the wort from the grain (this is called lautering).

I don't think cotton or even linen (pillowcase, bag) will hold up for long, the fibers will start to fray or break with use, compromising the weave.

Another vote for voile fabric. A pillowcase might clog up with mash debris, making the vorlauf difficult. Voile has a more open weave. Hold it up to the light. If you see tiny pinpoints of light shining through it should work. If you don't want to sew it into a bag you can simply use it to line a colander or a bucket with holes drilled in the bottom.

I'm gonna add my vote to @Malticulous 's suggestion to make a mash tun. It can be as simple as drilling a lot of tiny holes in a PET bucket like a lot of folk did 30-odd years ago and those buckets are about as common in Iran as anywhere else. I wouldn't trust a pillowcase to remain viable for long if it is even up to the task... plus, you never know what the fabric may have been treated with.

I can't get a brewing bag, cheese cloth or paint strainer in my town, can I use pillow casing? On a pillow casing the holes are way thinner than a brewing bag, how will that affect the wort?
A pillow case will work just fine. It will take a bit of extra time for the wort to drain so I would suggest a way to suspend the heavy wort and grain filled bag until it drains as much as possible.

A lot of people are saying that a pillowcase will work. I wonder if anybody has actually tried it. I know it’s not the same thing, but I poured my post boil wart from a big stout through a paint strainer once. I wanted to get as much trub out as possible. it completely plug the paint strainer, and nothing would flow through it

Never tried a pillow case, although I tried straining yoghurt through one and that tool forever.
Assuming you have a pillow case :), why not crush some grain, let it steep for a while and try?
My first biab bag came with a kit and was actually just some mutton cloth. It worked well enough, but more difficult to clean. Maybe that's an option?

A lot of people are saying that a pillowcase will work. I wonder if anybody has actually tried it. I know it’s not the same thing, but I poured my post boil wart from a big stout through a paint strainer once. I wanted to get as much trub out as possible. it completely plug the paint strainer, and nothing would flow through it
There are differences in paint strainer bags weave. I had a pair from a big box store that worked well. I replaced them with ones from a different big box store when the first pair wore out and were no longer stocked at the first store. These were a tighter weave and take longer to drain.

If a pillow case is all you can get, it’s all you can get. But use an old one, preferably an old white one. And brew small batches. Start with light beers that have less grain per water.
If there is any way to get one with larger holes.
What about trying to use a smaller pot that just slides into your bigger pot. Drill some drainage holes and line the bottom with mesh, course cloth layers etc

How did brewers drain their wort before bags were invented? A lid that slips down into your pot to hold back grains? Then just ferment the cloudy wort?it doesn’t have to be perfect, just keep out most of the sludge

The left over hop matter from a boil will plug most anything up. Even the coarse wire strainers I tried to use would plug up and restrict flow of wort from the boil kettle to the FV so much that I just started pouring it all in the FV except for any that did actually precipitate out to the bottom of the kettle in a tight mass.

The way I do BIAB, most of the liquid is outside the bag and I move the bag around to circulate water through it. I still get very good efficiencies. But I'm not dealing with a big bag with the weight of grain and water for 5 gallons either.

So mashes in BIAB are a little different than Pouring Through A Bag after boil.

The left over hop matter from a boil will plug most anything up.
+1; or maybe +100?
Even the coarse wire strainers I tried to use would plug up and restrict flow of wort from the boil kettle to the FV so much that I just started pouring it all in the FV except for any that did actually precipitate out to the bottom of the kettle in a tight mass.
I still strain, but I stir what's in the strainer to keep the hops from plugging up the mesh too fast. I doubt that it makes any difference to the beer, but I prefer to have a cleaner yeast cake at the end of fermentation if I'm going to save it for future use.

Back