Can i use DME instead of sugar to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colm98

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am fairly new to home brewing. The last 3 batches I made were all Coopers kits, each of them I added 1 Kilogram of sugar (corn sugar) and they all tasted kinda nasty. I am sure there was no infection incidentally as I really sanatise well.
Could I add 1 Kilogram of DME instead of cornsugar and would it remotely enhanse the taste?
Would the alcohol level be higher or lower or the same?
Would it take longer to ferment than corn sugar?

Any help would be appreciated
Colm

2.2 lbs of corn sugar?

EWW!

*Posted mostly to give the non metric literates reference...

It will make your beer taste better! It should ferment at about the same rate as sugar and I think you will be happy with the results.

Oh sorry, Yeah 2.2lbs is equal to 1 Kilogram.
Was I not supposed to be using corn sugar?...OMG, YIKES
All thats in the beermaking PART of the store is Coopers kits, wine making stuff. Corn sugar and DME

That much sugar tends to make beer taste cidery or as you put it, kind of nasty. DME is a much better solution. There is a lot of bad instructions out there and I think you got some.

colm98 - Welcome to homebrewing and this forum.
I use belguim candy sugar if required, otherwise all sugar is replaced by DME/LME/More grain or honey.
Sugar does really add a flavor I hate, if I really need to bump up the OG I use a light honey. Downside of honey is an extended fermentation time and a much lighter taste that can throw off the bitterness and flavor of the hops.
For a rich beer, use DME, as a straight replacement use LME, use honey if you want some really unique beers.
Just look up and understand the gravity differences of LME, DME and honey to hit your target OG.
To play around and test things, I would recommend:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html

I can waste a couple of days working out my next recipe there.
Best of luck,

For those that don't know complete Coopers beer kits often include corn sugar rather than DME or LME. I am guessing the OP was using one of those kits and just used what came with the kits. Don't be too hard on the Coopers kits for including corn sugar. For pre-hopped beer extract kits they aren't bad. Good first step into the world of homebrewing IMO.

Here in the UK, I'm not sure what corn sugar is. ? A lot of our kits recommend granualated sugar which is white cane sugar, although this is not what I've been using. I've been adding 500g of DME and 1 kg of light brown unrefined organic sugar making a total of 3.3 lbs of sweet stuff for a stronger brew.

For those that don't know complete Coopers beer kits often include corn sugar rather than DME or LME. I am guessing the OP was using one of those kits and just used what came with the kits. Don't be too hard on the Coopers kits for including corn sugar. For pre-hopped beer extract kits they aren't bad. Good first step into the world of homebrewing IMO.

My first beer was a cooper's kit. it came with no sugar or dme and the instructions called for whatever sugar I had access to. The only thing that could have tasted more like crap than that beer would have been an actual piece of crap in my mouth.

Hate cooper's kits and would like my money back. However, it did force me to move to partial mash brewing right away - so hey, can't be all bad.

Corn sugar badddd.... beat sugar baddddd... malt sugar gooodddd.... instructions you had baddddd...

1k of corn sugar/dextrose will work fine and give you a drinkable beer.
DME can be used as a direct 1:1 replacement for corn sugar. I'd recommend using a light one if you are making a lager or light colured ale, darker if its a darker beer...

It should give you better head, lacing and a bit of a thicker taste. the ass taste i've gotten from muntons kits seem to be in direct relation to too much airation after primary..but 'seem' is the word as i dont want to wast the use of a carboy to retry.

If you have Morgan's 1.7kg kits around vancouver, try the Canadian pilsner with a k of sugar and see how it compares.

Well, it makes no sense why they couldn't just include enough DME in those kits.

Hold on, DMS and sugar do not attract VAT (sales tax in the UK)

Beer Kits do seem to attract VAT - so in my book you are better off buying your sweet stuff seperately.

It's also cheaper for them to sell you half a kit (one can) instead of a whole one. You can either spend the money to add cheap sugar, to finish it up, or buy two kits and combine em. Either way they win.

Back