Can anyone identify this? Is my beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewfawx

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a chocolate and poblano pepper stout. It has been aging for a week or so after fermentation stopped, and I added some 100%cacao dark chocolate and some fresh peppers, all sanitized in vodka. A few days later I looked and this has formed. There is no airlock activity and it’s only on the surface from what I can tell. Any idea of what it is? Is my beer ruined?

Attachments

• 2368F3F4-538D-48AE-98F9-9BCB77737ACF.jpeg
    2368F3F4-538D-48AE-98F9-9BCB77737ACF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 327
Same thing happened with my first chocolate stout and a pal here told me that it is normal that my beer would be fine, and when i transfered to bottling bucket the white thing just disapeared and beer turned out delicious, so don´t worry and keep going. cheers :rock:

I think ^that^ is a good call - I don't think mold or other alien colonies could form that quickly in a "few days"...

Cheers!

hey thanks guys! this saved me from throwing away what could be a great beer! thanks!

The pellicle indicates the present of wild bacteria and/or wild yeast.

Vodka does not sanitize the interior of the fruit/vegetable/spice. (Plus alcohol needs to be around 70% ABV to even effectively sanitize the surface.)

As others have said, if it tastes fine and the gravity is stable, all is well.

Depending on the chocolate you used you could be looking at fats that have separated and risen to the surface.

Lots of folks saying it might be chocolate oil.

What chocolate are you guys using that will leave a huge white film like that?

Do you guys have any photos of white films on beer with properly (heat) sanitized cocoa (e.g. added in the boil) without unsanitary additions?

Looking to learn, cheers.
Because that photo combined with wild yeast/bacteria addition, I'm 80-90% sure it's a pellicle disturbed from moving the carboy.

Last edited:
Cocoa powders contain between 10 and 24% fat. Much depends on the brand and quality. Higher quality cocoa contains more cocoa butter than cheaper quality varieties. Cocoa butter is not readily soluble in alcohol. It’s not 100% soluble in everclear so it’s definitely not 100% soluble in beer. As it is a fat it could easily rise to the surface and float and bind with other fat molecules.

I am not saying it’s not an infection but based on timing that seems pretty (Pellicle formation) quick in my experience.

I understand the theory, I'm just a little skeptical being unable to find photos of such an occurrence.

People love to take photos of funny-looking stuff in the fermenter.

Back