Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounds

Reaction score
Going to wash some yeast. I've saved full cakes for a while and used them but wanted to try washing. In these photos is the granular stuff traub? Or yeast? Much finer stuff in very bottom.
My feeling is that the 2nd layer from top, the cloudy layer has most of the yeast. Am I correct?

Yeast2.jpg

Yeast1.jpg

No pics. But the yeast layer is a creamy tan color. Most of the stuff that settles to the bottom is the proteins, hop material, and dead yeast.

Sorry. They are both about an hour maybe 90 minutes after settling. So should I discard that whole bottom layer? Theres bound to be some good yeast on the very top of the bottom layer if that makes any sense? Should I aggitate it again and maybe separate it out only after 30 minutes?

Thanks.

I would agitate that again and let it settle out.. The idea is to take the liquid portion and the top layer on the bottom and put that into another container and than let that settle out. You should go from a big container like you have into a smaller container, usually a mason jar.

What yeast are you trying to wash?

Back