cake pitching question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
so I have two brews coming up and for planning purposes just wanted to ask you all a quick question and get your oppinion on it.
1. Can I pitch an american amber on a stout yeast cake? (gonna use saf us-05, or 1056 for both)
2. Can I pitch a stout on an imperial IPA cake?
thanks for all the help as always guys

Most of the time you're gonna want to pitch darker and more hoppy beers on the lighter and less hoppy yeast cakes. You're gonna pick up some of the flavors. You're gonna overpitch if you use the whole cake but that doesn't mean you're gonna have a problem. It's gonna ferment like crazy quickly though so you might wanna keep in mind how much headspace you have in your fermenter and consider using a blow off tube.

I would pitch a stout on an IPA cake, but I wouldn't pitch an amber on a stout cake.

Personally, if I was going to brew all three of these and had to reuse the cake, I'd go amber -> IPA -> stout. It kind of depends on the stout though, if it's big enough to absorb any hoppiness left over from the IPA cake. I brew big stouts. :) Might be kind of borderline though.

the stout is a 1078 OG but i am worried about the hoppiness from the imperial ipa coming through. i have plenty of 1056 in the fridge so i will probably just make a starter.

Back