Bye-Bye BN Forum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the Brewing Network forum finally bit the dust, same as MoreBeer and the old Green Board from days of old.

1599928513618.png

Meanwhile, rec.crafts.brewing is still limping along after 25+ years! I was a regular there a looooooooooong time ago. This was what a chat page looked like long before "regular" forums like HBT existed.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.crafts.brewing
Cheers all. :)

It appears the BN forum went offline around the time shelter in place went into effect and the BN as a whole slowed down. Maybe with business slow both getting people together on the shows and bar business (not to mention shuttering the Fort Collins location not too long ago) they are trying to cut costs everywhere the can and it will return. OTOH with social media forums see increasingly less traffic and maybe they decided now was a good time to cut ties and that's going to be the end of it in favor of social media channels and their chat.

I get the sense we might see the BN either pair back in size or morph into a non-beer related podcast network. Most of the people on the shows don't brew anymore and while they might still drink they seem increasingly less interested in craft beer. More and more of the show content is occupied by them chatting about non-beer topics and when they talk about beer it feels very much like they are going through the motions.

It appears the BN forum went offline around the time shelter in place went into effect and the BN as a whole slowed down. Maybe with business slow both getting people together on the shows and bar business (not to mention shuttering the Fort Collins location not too long ago) they are trying to cut costs everywhere the can and it will return. OTOH with social media forums see increasingly less traffic and maybe they decided now was a good time to cut ties and that's going to be the end of it in favor of social media channels and their chat.

I get the sense we might see the BN either pair back in size or morph into a non-beer related podcast network. Most of the people on the shows don't brew anymore and while they might still drink they seem increasingly less interested in craft beer. More and more of the show content is occupied by them chatting about non-beer topics and when they talk about beer it feels very much like they are going through the motions.

BN had some good shows, and their forum had good content, about 10-13 years ago. Long time ago. Their forum has been utterly dead for many years already, so I'm neither surprised nor saddened to see it go. Most forums except for HBT here have been pretty dead in recent years, due to Facebook and YouTube draining most of our free time instead of other slightly more useful and informative entertainment sources. Just thought I'd bring up the topic, for nostalgia, or to point out these latter facts, or whatever.

I found the Green Board first, when brewing. I really liked it at first, as it was my first foray into brewing forums. I had drifted away from it before it disappeared, but occasionally looked at it until then.
I never liked the BN forum, as the personality of that board turned me off. Obviously I felt at home at HBT................:)

I found the Green Board first, when brewing. I really liked it at first, as it was my first foray into brewing forums. I had drifted away from it before it disappeared, but occasionally looked at it until then.
I never liked the BN forum, as the personality of that board turned me off. Obviously I felt at home at HBT................:)

Green Board was great, back in the day. It still exists! Just, nobody posts there anymore. But we can still run searches on all the old posts, they're all still there. I was such an intermediate back in those days, it's funny to read some of that old stuff of the way things used to be.

Northern Brewer forum still exists but deleted 95% of their content a few years ago. I got PO'd and left... for the most part, posting pretty rarely there now.

Back