By dumping Trub before pitching I got an extra clean yeast harvest!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pic...

0731171020-1.jpg

Can you walk through the process?

Are you just letting the wort sit before pitching or are you crashing and then bringing up to temp?

Can you walk through the process?

Are you just letting the wort sit before pitching or are you crashing and then bringing up to temp?

27 gal conical.

Beer cooled to 67 F. And pumped into conical with 1 quart jar attached to bottom dump.

When full, hatch opened. Trub falls out over 2 hour period.

When it stops falling, you will see it like a snow globe, shut hatch, remove and discard.

Pitch yeast and aerate.

Then harvest 1 week later.

27 gal conical.

Beer cooled to 67 F. And pumped into conical with 1 quart jar attached to bottom dump.

When full, hatch opened. Trub falls out over 2 hour period.

When it stops falling, you will see it like a snow globe, shut hatch, remove and discard.

Pitch yeast and aerate.

Then harvest 1 week later.

Thanks. I may have to try that, I am ordering a Spike conical and will have to try that. Is the mason jar attachment from NorCal?

Ive reas the process of yeast harvesting 10 years ago, but what do you do with it now? Freeze it?

10 years is a long time.

Ive reas the process of yeast harvesting 10 years ago, but what do you do with it now? Freeze it?

10 years is a long time.

Pit it in the fridge, warm it up on brew day and pitch...with these quantities no need making a starter.

The left is from a 20 gallon batch, the right is from one of my 5 gallon "starters".

0731171952.jpg

I let the trub fall out over 2 hours prior to pitching. Collected in a 1 quart jar and discarded.

3 months easy, some say 1 year.

Back