Bulk Yeast culturing & dispensing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to be able to brew three times a day, and some way to effectively culture large amount of the same yeast and the ability to easily despense it for fermentation three times a day.

What kind of method would I want?

Thanks for your time :mug:

Kind regards,
Marius

Wow... I wish I had time on my hands like you do! Noticed this in the unanswered threads and wanted to give it a bump for anyone who may be able to help you.

I have never personally done this, as I'm sure most people have not. I would personally look at using a larger conical for the yeast propagation. You can "feed" the yeast new wort to make sure they continue growing and multiplying. With a conical, it is easy to dump the trub and yeast directly from the bottom without worrying about infections.

You may also want to do some research regarding how the big boys in the yeast industry such as White Laboratories and Wyeast culture their yeast.

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find out how wyeast or white labs culture and dispense yeast.

Kind regards,
Marius

Bump, I just want to figure out how to grow yeast so that I can use Whitelabs every time without having to buy it every time. Saw it somewhere...still looking.

Bump, I just want to figure out how to grow yeast so that I can use Whitelabs every time without having to buy it every time. Saw it somewhere...still looking.

Why not just wash yeast? Use it once and you can wash, oh, 5 jars from that batch. 5 more from each of those ... you never have to buy yeast again!

Sorry - that doesn't really help the OP.

Why not just wash yeast? Use it once and you can wash, oh, 5 jars from that batch. 5 more from each of those ... you never have to buy yeast again!

Sorry - that doesn't really help the OP.

OK, thanks I saw washing as well. Been brewing for over five years, found this site less than a year ago. You guys are going to make a real brewer out of me yet!:rockin:

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find out how wyeast or white labs culture and dispense yeast.

Kind regards,
Marius

With tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and some microbiologists. You might need to do it differently from them.

I Think you're looking at this the wrong way...
Three batches of beer a day is being an active brewery, not a yeast lab.
Yeast are grown in batches, not in a continuous way, especially if you mind consistency.
I suggest you start with one pack, split it to about 10 small starters, and build it up.
split each starter into 4 , and build each into a starter big enough for a batch.
that should be enough for brewing 3 beers a day * 14 days (assuming that's your primary length) . Now, after each batch finishes, wash the yeast cake and pitch all of it into one of tomorrows batches.
This doesn't require a lot of equipment, especially if you build the ~40 initial starters gradually, about one or two a day, so you could use under 20 containers for them.
This is how, to my understanding, breweries work.

You'll need a lot a mason jars, and make sure you label everything by date, type , and generation.
don't use yeast over a single digit generation...

You should develop a routine where you split some early starters into the next cycle's supply.
You probably should restart from a fresh pack every three months or so...

Instead of small starters, maybe consider brewing 1 gal batches and splitting the resultant yeast cake three ways. It's effectively a 4L starter that yields a drinkable product. ;)

+1 to reusing the yeast cake once your pipeline is full.

Back