Build up on side of fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schumed

Reaction score
This is a pic of my two week old Barley Wine
SG 1.14 it's down to 1.027
Pacman yeast
Heavy on hops 100IBU

Never seen anything build up on the side like this before ...smells and taste okay...think I should rack to secondary...looks kind of moldy from what I could tell but don't have experience with the pacman yeast

Thoughts

image-1782414358.jpg

I've had this experience with some yeasts... just sliding and sticking down the sides. Doesn't look like anything to worry about, brother!

Cheers! :mug:

I'd be racking that barleywine to secondary...in about a month to 6 weeks from now. Your krausen looks weird but it's just krausen.

Krausen looks pretty normal to me, especially for a barley wine with an OG like that.
I get clingy yeast buildup all the time too. Especially with highly floccing yeasts like notty or 04.
All looks good to me.

Yeah, Id definitely let something that big sit on the yeast for longer than 2 weeks, give it more time. I left my last 10% quad on the yeast for 1 1/2 months, very pleasing results.

IMO you really need to time the huge beers like this around your other beers(depending on # of primaries and secondaries, anyway), I wont brew big unless I already have a small stockpile of easy drinkers just because you gotta give these guys so much time.

Love the #'s on it though, huge % and huge ibu. Looks great!

Back