Bru'n water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealm

Reaction score
I have got a problem with my water assay. My water source comes from a mixture of two rivers where the mineral content varies over the seasons. River 1 the alkalinity varies from 41 to 118 while river 2 varies from 25 to 39. The other minerals (Ca, Na, Mg, Cl and SO4) are also all over the place(see attached PDF file).

Using a Seifert alkalinity kit I have measured alkalinity over 4 months and it ranged from a low of 28 up to 150. In addition I measured the TDS and this ranged from 105 to 158 PPM.

My feeling is that I need to measure the alkalinity, Ca and TDS of the water that I am going to use at the time and modify the numbers in the “Bru’n water” tab 1 (the water report tab). This I am not quite sure how to do, so I am open to suggestions. How to others handle a varying water composition. Should I use the average values for each component provided by the water authority and hope that this gets me close enough.

NealM

Attachments

• 2016 PAXPOT WQR.pdf
    411.5 KB · Views: 44
Set Water 1 in the water report tab, and have Water 2 as your dilution water (normally used for RO dilution). The average values would be OK for moderate beers, but there's too much variation for the extremes (pale lagers and dark beers).

Yes but how do you apply this brew day testing to Bru'n water is my question.

If you test each brew day you’ll have the information you’ll need. I tested my water Saturday before a brew day and added my salts accordingly. After a while I find out what I typically use and buy accordingly. I don’t need lots of chalk or even Epsom salts. I really only need some calcium and some acid to adjust the pH according to brunwater.

I have couple Bru'n Water questions and I'm wondering if others including @mabrungard can help out. I'm planning to brew with 75% tap water and 25% RO, and I noticing that some of the mineral and acid data isn't adjusting to reflect this 3:1 ratio.

On #4, Water Adjustment page:
a) The "Actual finished water adjustments" row shows only the mineral additions I add. In this case CaCl2. It doesn't show the other mineral contrubutions from the 75% tap water. However, this information is included in the "Mashing water profile" row directly below.
b) The sparge water acid addition doesn't change at all, and assumes 0% RO dilution regardless of % water dilution. E.g: in this case it say 2.4ml for 0% dilution and the same 2.4 ml with 100% dilution. The only way to have it show 0 ml is to remove all the mineral additions in Sheet #1 Water Report Input.

Is this something I just need to navigate around and make a few calculations by hand, or am I missing something? Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back