Brown Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilssoninlaw

Reaction score
I've got a 5 gallon batch of Brown Ale brewing right now using Safale US-05 dry yeast and I planning on doing a 5 gallon batch of Cider next.

So, being a newbie, I would like to try my hand at harvesting and reusing yeast. Would this yeast, coming out of a Brown Ale impart any off flavors? Or is there any reason you might not do it? Thanks for any input, guys!!

I've got a 5 gallon batch of Brown Ale brewing right now using Safale US-05 dry yeast and I planning on doing a 5 gallon batch of Cider next.

So, being a newbie, I would like to try my hand at harvesting and reusing yeast. Would this yeast, coming out of a Brown Ale impart any off flavors? Or is there any reason you might not do it? Thanks for any input, guys!!
I made cider with us 05 slurry and supermarket juice and it turned out pretty good to my taste. Collect the wort with sterile jar, let the yeast settle down in the fridge for a day or two, decant and pitch into the juice. It should be fine, but you're doing it at your own risk. If the juice or apple didn't cost you much - then go for it, otherwise it would be more failproof to get a new pack of yeast.

I recycle yeast all the time. Pour the dregs into a jar, let sit in the fridge for a day or so. And you have a yeast cake to draw from. Just spoon out some and into your next batch. Easy.

As for flavors, its always a risk, but I have never disliked a batch I did this way.

Latest posts

Back