Brewtoad recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicKageB

Reaction score
Wanted to post this on brewtoad forums but its a ghost town there. I wanted to find an Avery Brewery Ellie's Brown Ale extract clone recipe. I found one labeled partial mash but I think it's extract with specialty grains.

The recipes are really just ingredient lists and don't give explicit instructions. As this will only be my third brew I'm still quite a newbie and I need explicit directions!

Just a few questions about the following recipe...
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/ellies-brown-ale-2

1. Is this truly extract with specialty grain?
2. When it says to steep, do i do each of these grains one at a time or all together? What temp? How long?
3. Does the "hop time" of 60mins in a 60 min boil mean I add it right away or at the last second?

My assumptions
1. yes
2. All together. 150F. 20 mins...?
3. Right away.

Thanks for looking guys!

Ok so i posted the recipe below:

Fermentables Efficiency: 75.0 % Batch size: 5.0 gal

Fermentable Amount Use PPG Color

Briess Golden Light LME 6.0 lb 68 % Boil 37 4 °L
Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 1.19 lb 13 % Steep 37 1 °L
Munich Type II 0.69 lb 7 % Steep 35 9 °L
Bairds Chocolate Malt 0.5 lb 5 % Steep 32 475 °L
Briess Caramel Malt 120L 0.37 lb 4 % Steep 32 120 °L

Hops Boil time: 60 min
Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Sterling (US) 0.75 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 6.3%
Sterling (US) 0.25 oz 30 min Boil Pellet 6.3%
Sterling (US) 1.0 oz 1 min Boil Pellet 6.3%

Yeasts Name Lab/Product Average Attenuation
Safale US-05

HOPS: From reading this, you would make a 3/4 oz addition of Sterling at the beginning of the boil, then a 1/4 oz addition 30 mins later, and then 1 full oz with 1 min left in the boil.

This recipe looks like a partial mash/mini mash recipe. They say to steep the grains, but from my knowledge i would say that the 2-row malt MUST be MASHED rather then just steeping in hot water.

While this isnt as tough as it sounds i would suggest that you "Google" Mashing (also check Youtube.) This should get you to where you need to be.

The only problem i see with this recipe is that its really not alot of grains to be mashing (~2.5-3 lbs). It maybe better to convert some of that LME to grain. Before you takle this, I suggest you do a little research.

Latest posts

Back