Brewtarget 2.0 Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool just downloaded it thanks. Looks like more recipes were added too. I just got down exporting my recipes from 1.2 and imported them into this :)

Cool just downloaded it thanks. Looks like more recipes were added too. I just got down exporting my recipes from 1.2 and imported them into this :)

Does the new version import anything from 1.2? Do you have to redo your equipment profile?

Does the new version import anything from 1.2? Do you have to redo your equipment profile?

It did NOT automatically import them, guess it installed in a different location, I didn't pay attention. I checked briefly to see if there was some sort of transfer process but didn't look long. I only had 4 home made recipes in 1.2 so it wasn't a hard process, just 4 exports, and 4 imports. I had them both open at the same time.

Now as far as the equipment profile, it didn't look like 2.0 had the 5 gallon mashtun / 8 gallon kettle, but as soon as I imported my Oatmeal Stout recipe, that imported as well.

It didn't transfer anything. A bit annoying I will say. But after a few minutes I have most everything transfered equipment recipes. Need to transfer my yeasts.

It has 3 equipment defaults. But as you import your recipes the equipment with transfer as well. There is 2 or 3 times the amount of default recipes now as well.

Anyone else have trouble with the 64-bit Mac download? I download it, mount the dmg file, and inside is the shortcut to the Applications folder, but no BrewTarget. Even searching the file in Terminal (ls -a) turns up nothing. Am I missing something?

Anyone else have trouble with the 64-bit Mac download? I download it, mount the dmg file, and inside is the shortcut to the Applications folder, but no BrewTarget. Even searching the file in Terminal (ls -a) turns up nothing. Am I missing something?

That should be fixed now. Sorry, there was an issue with the compressed image I built, but a new fixed image has been uploaded. Go ahead and try it again.

Nice update,... i'm having some troubles when adding ingrediens. When I click on a ingrediens i would like to add, from the misc database, it adds the wrong one,... what am I doing wrong??

I'm running it on Linux Mint 14.

Best regards.

Nice update,... i'm having some troubles when adding ingrediens. When I click on a ingrediens i would like to add, from the misc database, it adds the wrong one,... what am I doing wrong??

I'm running it on Linux Mint 14.

Best regards.

I noticed the same thing, double click on the item and it should add it.

You can drag the grain, hops, yeast, etc. from the left pane over to the recipe area and skip the ingredient selection window altogether, too.

I love brewtarget, but one thing I found is that I exported my recipes from version 1.2.4 and imported them into version 2 and my calculations have changed. One of my recipes in version 1.2.4 had a calculated ABV of 5.6 and in version 2 after I imported it the ABV is 6.8. Even the color changed from a 5.8 to a 6.6, but nothing in the ingredients changed. Did anyone else find the same thing happened? I am just wondering if I need to reenter anything manually. Thanks

I noticed calcs had changed. The color I think is now more accurate, with 1.2 I could never get my color below 9SRM. Now it actually goes lower then that. Along with my cal/beer has dropped way down on my milds, but not for the other beers so I think it might be more accurate there also.

The issue I am having and I don't know if anyone else is, is when I change efficiency it does not change anything. The program seems to be locked on 70% efficiency and normally I get 80%+.

I'm seeing issues with bringing in the equipment. While it comes in the the recipe, it does not show up in the equipment list to use on future recipes.

That is exporting each individual recipe from 1.2.4 and importing in 2.0.

You have to import your recipes. Just point Brewtarget 2.0 to your 1.2 folder/files.

It did import my (one) custom equipment file though.

I am using the Windows Version... When I make new equipment and save it it only saves my boil volume and nothing else... If I go back in and input the batch size and input the rest and press save it only saves the batch size... Am I doing something wrong???

Thanks,

MT

I am using the Windows Version... When I make new equipment and save it it only saves my boil volume and nothing else... If I go back in and input the batch size and input the rest and press save it only saves the batch size... Am I doing something wrong???

Thanks,

MT

It is a bug I also found. It only takes one input and saves it. So you have to put each input in and click save then go back and put another one in. Kinda annoying.
Lets just say I am going to wait for the next update to 2.0 before I switch from 1.24 and hope some of these bugs have been worked out. I really like 2.0 for a lot of reasons, these bugs are annoying me though.

It is a bug I also found. It only takes one input and saves it. So you have to put each input in and click save then go back and put another one in. Kinda annoying.
Lets just say I am going to wait for the next update to 2.0 before I switch from 1.24 and hope some of these bugs have been worked out. I really like 2.0 for a lot of reasons, these bugs are annoying me though.

Sorry about that. Did anyone submit a bug report? That should be easy enough to fix.

Also, @eulipion2, the builds are statically linked to QT for both Windows and Mac. I don't do the Linux builds, but if we don't statically link them, then we should. However, what this means is that you should not need to update anything to use the software.

I am not able to install it because of dependency libqtcore4:4.8.0. I found qt 5 and did make and make install, but really have run into a wall now. Have no idea how to proceed.

Sorry about that. Did anyone submit a bug report? That should be easy enough to fix.

Also, @eulipion2, the builds are statically linked to QT for both Windows and Mac. I don't do the Linux builds, but if we don't statically link them, then we should. However, what this means is that you should not need to update anything to use the software.

I did submit a bug report about the efficiency. Looking at the tracker other bugs that have come after it have been put infront of it to be fixed. Maybe I am the only one?

Two responses.

I have a fix for the first problem. We will need to discuss how we want to approach this.

For the second problem, we don't support qt5 yet. It hasn't hit any of my development systems yet, so I don't even know what will happen. I would recommend going here http://qt-project.org/downloads and scroll down to the qt 4.8 section. Download the appropriate libraries and try with those.

Mik

I did submit a bug report about the efficiency. Looking at the tracker other bugs that have come after it have been put infront of it to be fixed. Maybe I am the only one?

Nope. I can reproduce. It seems to correct itself if you click around enough. I am fairly certain I know where to start looking for that kind of problem. I have assigned the bug to me and will figure it out once I have a few of the really burning problems taken care of.

Mik

Is there a list of new features/fixes that occurred since the last release? I looked around the Brewtarget web site and couldn't find one. Thanks!

Is there a list of new features/fixes that occurred since the last release? I looked around the Brewtarget web site and couldn't find one. Thanks!

This is what I see.

New in this release

Brewtarget v2.0 has been long in the making, mostly because we have done a massive reworking of the internals.
SQLite DB

We have replaced the old XML files with a brand new SQLite database. We have spent a long time making this as transparent as possible. If we have done our jobs well, the only thing most users should notice is brewtarget seems to load faster and is a bit faster in other places.

We will be using this change to implement inventory, multi-level undo, automatic versioning of recipes, etc. We also hope to allow you to decide which database engine you want to use -- SQLite and mysql at least, postgresql likely.

Units and Scales

This has been a very requested feature that has taken us a long time to implement correctly. You can now override the default unit (e.g., US Customary) per field, and you can control the scale (so your hops are always displayed in grams, no matter how many kilos you are adding).

Tree Views

The trees continue to evolve. They are now split into their own separate tabs and can be sorted on the fields displayed. The next release will let you select which fields are displayed and hopefully allow you to define folders.

Default Equipment

You can select one piece of equipment as the default and any new recipe will have that automatically defined as the equipment. You can do this by opening the equipment profile and selecting the "Set as default" option in the upper left.

Hop Utilization

You can configure your hop utilization from the equipment screen. This may cause your recipes to show 0 IBU. If you are seeing this, set your hop utilization to 100 on your equipment.

I definitely enjoy this software, do you guys have an idea when a bugfix release will come out for 2.0 to fix the saving of equipment?

I definitely enjoy this software, do you guys have an idea when a bugfix release will come out for 2.0 to fix the saving of equipment?

Most of the fixes have been commited and rolled into HEAD. I'm not sure what the exact schedule is for releasing the bugfixes, but it should be soon.

Most of the fixes have been commited and rolled into HEAD. I'm not sure what the exact schedule is for releasing the bugfixes, but it should be soon.

Great thanks for the quick response too :mug:

Just getting started, and got Brewtarget. In the hops window, additions display as
0.0 IBU, and so main window shows 0.0 IBU.
I also had trouble w/ 64 bit mac dl. 32 works fine.
Orest

Latest posts

Back