BrewPi@ESP8266, no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have a little situation here, pls, help me if you can, before I burn something. :D

I have iduncant's board and am a little bit confused about how to properly connect 2 channel relay.

screenshot-381.jpg

@iduncant, thank you very much, again! ;)

With the jumper off, you run 5v to JCC and ground the GND. Run 3V to VCC on the 4-pin side, GND is GND and IN1 and IN2 are for the heat and cool.

Hello good people,

first of all I would like to ask why I see here 2 sensors with the same ID, same GPIO but different value? I have connected only one sensor to the Wemos.
1613648924042.png
Is my sensor failing? Everytime I refresh that page I get different readings on both, but on the main screen of BPL I think the temperature readings is more or less correct.

Second thing, after updating to 4.1 I have some crazy stuff going on with my iSpindel data.
I have lost the column of iSpindel here:
1613649057682.png

It is on:
1613649092340.png

and it is updating data because I can see the correct AUX temperature on the graph. I did try all available reset options (spiffs, wifi, init/erase eeprom, OTA flashing new bin). Before that it was working fine, I think it started when I flashed the 4.1 and turned off the knob in gravity options for Tilt as I do not use Tilt just iSPindel, and that ruined everything, and now no matter what I do I am not able to get it back. Can you help?

EDIT: OK reverting back to 4.0 fix the iSpindel problem

Last edited:
Soooo ... I finally built up my BrewPiLess / BrewPi-8266 based on @LBussy 's PCB, printed a 3D enclosure and everything and ... no dice :(
I flashed manually, I flashed using BrewFlasher but all I got is
Code:
16:46:27.383 ->
16:46:27.383 ->  ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)
16:46:27.483 -> load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
16:46:27.483 -> tail 8
16:46:27.483 -> chksum 0x2d
16:46:27.483 -> csum 0x2d
16:46:27.483 -> vbb28d4a3
16:46:27.483 -> ~ld

It sets up a Wifi Network, I can connect to it but then I cannot navigate to any IP / URL.
Also, the LCD screen is all dark.
I'll do some archeology but if anyone got pointers, I'm all ears.

Soooo ... I finally built up my BrewPiLess / BrewPi-8266 based on @LBussy 's PCB, printed a 3D enclosure and everything and ... no dice :(
I flashed manually, I flashed using BrewFlasher but all I got is
Code:
16:46:27.383 ->  ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)
16:46:27.483 -> load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
16:46:27.483 -> tail 8
16:46:27.483 -> chksum 0x2d
16:46:27.483 -> csum 0x2d
16:46:27.483 -> vbb28d4a3
16:46:27.483 -> ~ld

It sets up a Wifi Network, I can connect to it but then I cannot navigate to any IP / URL.
Also, the LCD screen is all dark.
I'll do some archeology but if anyone got pointers, I'm all ears.
Are you mixing up BrewPiLess with BrewPi Remix

Are you mixing up BrewPiLess with BrewPi Remix
I might :/
What I want to use is this project (BrewPiLess)
I got a board that is indeed from the BrewPi Project

Nevertheless I thought it would work ...

Edit : It's "up" but all I got is a brewpiless network... And when I connect to it there is nothing I can do (192.168.4.1 just dies on me).
What is strange though is that I erased/flashed stuff, even going as far as VS Code-ing my way into it.

1615224859698.png

Last edited:
The board you use is the same circuit as the one Thorrak has for Fermentrack. I believe there's a separate BrewPiLess firmware with a specific pinout to use on these boards.
That's the one I VS-Coded onto the system.
I might be a victim of the "Wifi settings" bug.
Too bad the logging isn't verbose :(

What I don't get is that I should be able to connect to the Brewpiless APN and then navigate to the settings page right ?

Edit : ok I needed to shut down the mobile data on my phone. Now I can do stuff. Still can't find where to set up Wifi though :D

Edit 2 : ROTFM and VOILA
1615226555039.png

Last edited:
I flashed a D1 Mini pro with the ModeMCU flasher (16m flash size) and BrewPiLess.v4.1r4.d1pro.newui.16m14m.bin. It appears to have flashed OK and the LED on the board flashes about every 2 seconds but the brewpiless network never shows up on my wifi. Idea why?

Have you had any luck with it?

@Bigdaddyale I fully understand. PlatformIO was a hassle to understand and I work in tech, I use VSCode everyday for my work (mostly python though). It took me a good while to understand and get it running. And then when I switched from esp32 to 8266 it was like starting over. I'm glad I did though, seems helpful if you end up wanting to make changes to the software. There is something very satisfying to flashing your software to a microcontroller!

It's been a while since I posted, I know a few people had mentioned that PlatformIO was a bit of a pain to set up. I thought I'd try to help out and write up a tutorial on how to get it running in case people were still struggling. In case this helps anyone: How to setup BrewPiLess using PlatformIO

I found the documentation, specifically about how to get PlatformIO to select the right com/serial port was lacking. I think this might be what holds a lot of people back who don't have much experience with the command line.

Hope it's helpful!

It's been a while since I posted, I know a few people had mentioned that PlatformIO was a bit of a pain to set up. I thought I'd try to help out and write up a tutorial on how to get it running in case people were still struggling. In case this helps anyone: How to setup BrewPiLess using PlatformIO

I found the documentation, specifically about how to get PlatformIO to select the right com/serial port was lacking. I think this might be what holds a lot of people back who don't have much experience with the command line.

Hope it's helpful!
Thank you -Nice write up

I tried to search, but couldn't find anything, so I'm sorry if it's been answered before.
Can someone please tell me how I connect BPL to Home Assistant? I have the Mosquito Integration up and running, but I don't know how to set up BPL.
I have entered the information as shown in the image, and when I hit Send, BPL says Done, but nothing is happening on the broker...
1622064581555.png

Hi
My settings are as following:
1622482620115.png

and my yaml-file like this:
YAML:
#Import sensors from brewpiless
sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: "FermBeerTemp"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/beerTemp"
    unit_of_measurement: "°C"
    name: "FermBeerSet"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/beerSet"
    name: "FermTemp"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/fridgeTemp"
    name: "FermFridgeSet"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/fridgeSet"
    name: "Gravity"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/gravity"
    unit_of_measurement: ""
    name: "BPL state"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/state"
    qos: 0
    value_template: >-
      {% if    value | int == 0 %} Idle
      {% elif  value | int == 1 %} Off
      {% elif  value | int == 2 %} Door open
      {% elif  value | int == 3 %} Heating
      {% elif  value | int == 4 %} Cooling
      {% elif  value | int == 5 %} Waiting to cool
      {% elif  value | int == 6 %} Waiting to heat
      {% elif  value | int == 7 %} Waiting for peak detect
      {% elif  value | int == 8 %} Cooling minimum time
      {% elif  value | int == 9 %} Heating minimum time
      {%- endif %}
    name: "BPL mode"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/mode"
      {% if value == "o" %} Off
      {% elif value == "f" %} Fridge Constant
      {% elif value == "b" %} Beer Constant
      {% elif value == "p" %} Beer profile
      {%- endif %}

/Tobias

@ZeSlammy
I have been trying to set this up.
https://pizzvopyfgp6oerh6v5bvte344-...1/03/repetidor-ispindel-con-display-oled.html
I have struggled with a decent signal from my ispindel out of my ferment fridge, bargain stainless steel one but a good enough cage to stop regular wifi to my access point / router upstairs. Works great if i park a second router outside the fridge but trailing cables a pain.
I saw this ( briefly discussed on the ispindel thread about month ago )
pizzvopyfgp6oerh6v5bvte344-ac4c6men2g7xr2a-diyhomebrewers-com.translate.goog

Repetidor iSpindel con Display Oled

Translation from spanish not super good but enough, I wanted to use this to have a fermentation controller ( not got the relays for that yet ) and also as a WIFI relay/booster and another gadget with the display.
I assembled it last pm and installed the software my first efforts unsuccessful until I swapped out the esp8266 for another and then it was recognised and all loaded okay.
I have managed to get a test ispindel to connect to it and see temp and gravity change.
But what I also want to do is use it as an access point for the other ispindels which use brewspy.
I can see the brewpiless network and can log onto it with a device such as phone but can't get any WWW access from there.
I have set a fixed ip for the repeater on my network but am at a loss at the network aspects.

Did you try this on your setup. I have seen your other project highlighted on the ispindel thread as well.

Hi
My settings are as following:
View attachment 730814
and my yaml-file like this:
YAML:
#Import sensors from brewpiless
sensor:
    name: "FermBeerTemp"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/beerTemp"
    name: "FermBeerSet"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/beerSet"
    name: "FermTemp"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/fridgeTemp"
    name: "FermFridgeSet"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/fridgeSet"
    name: "Gravity"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/gravity"
    unit_of_measurement: ""
    name: "BPL state"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/state"
      {% if    value | int == 0 %} Idle
      {% elif  value | int == 1 %} Off
      {% elif  value | int == 2 %} Door open
      {% elif  value | int == 3 %} Heating
      {% elif  value | int == 4 %} Cooling
      {% elif  value | int == 5 %} Waiting to cool
      {% elif  value | int == 6 %} Waiting to heat
      {% elif  value | int == 7 %} Waiting for peak detect
      {% elif  value | int == 8 %} Cooling minimum time
      {% elif  value | int == 9 %} Heating minimum time
      {%- endif %}
    name: "BPL mode"
    state_topic: "bpl/log/mode"
      {% if value == "o" %} Off
      {% elif value == "f" %} Fridge Constant
      {% elif value == "b" %} Beer Constant
      {% elif value == "p" %} Beer profile
      {%- endif %}

/Tobias

Thank you.
I can't get it to work, thou...
I'm wondering... Can you access your HA with https? I'm starting to think this might be my problem. BPL don't support https, but my HA only answers to https... I might try to set up another HA to test...

EDIT
Stupid me! I didn't see the toggle to the right of the MQTT reporting/remote :rolleyes:. Thanks to your screenshot I found it, and it works. Thanks!

Last edited:
Further update.
I've been in touch with the developer of the repetidor above. I think I misinterpreted the devices abilities, partly my lack of knowledge and I'll blame Google translate.
Basically It can only do what brewpiless does and it displays on a different screen than the leds others have used.

So it can be set up in the home wifi network with a fixed ip and then accessing that fixed ip from inside the network brings up the brewpiless menu and then graphs and changes can be made as normal. At the same time it displays the ispindel vitals on the little screen.

Further option of use is to have the ispindel connect to a wireless network that the esp8266 makes ( called brewpiless ) and then forwards onto the wifi network so you again can access from the internal network and view graphs adjust etc.

If you can't access the WIFI network because you are out of range then you access via Brewpiless network it sets up and can make changes read graphs etc with your laptop etc in range of that device. But you can't access it from your normal wifi.

It doesn't act as a wifi relay for other devices though which i thought it could do, I don't understand enough about networking and routers to say why. I just assumed if the repeater was seen in the network with a relevant IP that it could forward on from there. Something I don't understand though. But at least I can stop fiddling with it thinking I was making a mistake. But maybe the BussySlammer device will allow this.

Pretty sure the Espressif libraries only allow four connections. It could be that the normal processing consumes those and no additional connections are spossible.

Thank you.
I can't get it to work, thou...
I'm wondering... Can you access your HA with https? I'm starting to think this might be my problem. BPL don't support https, but my HA only answers to https... I might try to set up another HA to test...

EDIT
Stupid me! I didn't see the toggle to the right of the MQTT reporting/remote :rolleyes:. Thanks to your screenshot I found it, and it works. Thanks!
Great
Happy to help:bigmug:

I'm just about to order a relay to control the fridge and the heating belt for a brewpiless. There seems to be a lot of choice and warnings re high low and voltages. We are on 240V ac approx down here could someone point me to a 2 relay that I can wire on. Then I can stop using the stc1000. I have some temperature sensors already and the resistors for that part. I also have the ispindel for beer sensor option.
If there is a hardware how to I couldn't find it on vita.tw page forgive me but would happily take a link to one.

I'm just about to order a relay to control the fridge and the heating belt for a brewpiless. There seems to be a lot of choice and warnings re high low and voltages. We are on 240V ac approx down here could someone point me to a 2 relay that I can wire on. Then I can stop using the stc1000. I have some temperature sensors already and the resistors for that part. I also have the ispindel for beer sensor option.
If there is a hardware how to I couldn't find it on vita.tw page forgive me but would happily take a link to one.
This one is quite clear:

https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/blob/master/doc/HardwareExample1.md

One site I have been reading suggests that I should use these as well ( 40A versions ) as the relay module above and some heatsinks on them.
https://www.diyhomebrewers.com/2020/07/brewpiless-hardware-y-software.htmlIt does require google translate if you don't speak spanish ( I followed the translation ).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000349016103.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.740d3c005IIBbm&mp=1
My Heater is a 30w heating belt and then I have the fridge freezer for cooling.
Do the Solid state relay protect against the surge that occurs when a fridge first starts up? Should I just have one on the cooling side alone?

Or am I really just trying to build a stripped back Brewpi with less capability and should bite the bullet and change my plans?

There's not going to be any significant difference using a relay or a 40A SSR (other than it costs more for the latter.) The SSR is really only of any value when using PWM.

There is actually something to be said for a zero-crossing aka synchronous type SSR wrt surge current.
That said it's a rather pricey solution for such a low duty cycle application...

Cheers!

@LBussy and @day_trippr
Thanks the site suggested that the SSR was wired between the relay module and the fridge or heater.
The relay module looks similar to inside the STC 1000 I currently use and I haven't seen suggestions of needing a 40A SSR on that.
I have just read what PWM is and don't think that I'm implementing that so I probably okay without them.

Oh no no no - slaving an SSR to a controlling relay is outright insanity. Relays = point bounce, which would likely confuse the hell out of a synchronous SSR implementation.

File under "Don't Do That". And ignore by default anything else you read at that site :)

Either go with a relay or go with a zero cross SSR. Don't do both...

Cheers!

@day_trippr
Right that's cleared up then, I'll order the relay and the temperature probes and work out how to wire it all up.
More than halved the project cost, thanks.
Will BrewPi remix give me a lot more options instead of brewpiless which is fairly static.

I haven't switched over to it yet - though it's looking more and more imminent - but Lee's "Remix" appears to provide the full gamut of control and sensing as the classic BrewPi. I've never used BrewPiLess nor Fermentrack - I'm a classic kind of guy :)

Cheers!

Will BrewPi remix give me a lot more options instead of brewpiless which is fairly static.
You have to pay your money and take your chances. Each of these projects is done (and underwritten) by a person who is doing it in their spare time. That can change at any time.

That said, the ability to be very flexible is somewhat limited to a microcontroller. I am amazed at what he's crammed in there. ultimately it's going to be limited at 2 cores, a radio that shares between BT and WiFi, and 16mb program space and storage.

If your need is something small, self-contained, singular; this is your better choice. If you want something that's going to provide (arguable) more customizability, then something based on a computer is likely a better bet.

With the BrewPi Remix can I also run the Raspberry pints thing as well or do I need another one for that?
I bought the raspberry Pi when it first came out in the UK and used it for Kodi and fileserver, but since then it's gathered dust.
It's too old tech for either of the brew applications I believe.

I have been running four instances of classic BrewPi along side classic Raspberry Pints since 2014.
I have a testbed RPi3B+ system currently running two instances of Lee's BrewPi Remix along side RandR+'s Raspberry Pints successfully...

Cheers!

This must seem like a daft question, but can I access brewpiless from outside of my home network ? so that I can check progress on the road so to speak and adjust schedules?
Can I get the ispindel data forwarded onto brewspy after it's been to brewpiless? ie to /api/brew-spy after having gone to /gravity

This must seem like a daft question, but can I access brewpiless from outside of my home network ? so that I can check progress on the road so to speak and adjust schedules?

Technically this is possible. I sincerely recommend, as a guy who gets paid to secure some pretty important stuff, that you don't do that. It's not just "I don't care if hackers know what temperature my beer is" - it's an easily exploited foothold into your home network and bad things will happen.

The better idea is to use more secure remote access into a local computer (a Pi is great) and then hop to your device.

@LBussy
I understand, will speak to my son about this as it's more his line of work, sounds like tunnelling or vpn type thing is needed.
But the bottom line is yes it's possible but do it by direct dial using a secure number rather than standing on the roof of your house and using a loudhailer.

Back