• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

[email protected], no need of RPI and Arduino.

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

t1m1

Reaction score
I can see that button on v2.6rc only, unfortunately.

Is it possible that mistake is OTA update and not over USB?

iduncant

Reaction score
I've built and started using the Brewpiless setup on an ESP32 with iSpindel. I absolutely love this project. I have a RPI on hand, so I may try that out as well, but the idea of just using the ESP chip on its own really appealed and makes it super portable. I have a father in law who really likes brewing, but this kind of thing he's less comfortable with. By using this project I can put it together for him and it's a really small investment to the 8266 chip.

The only thing that bothered me (about both) was the rats nest of wires on the breadboard I was dealing with. I ended up making a little PCB to handle that part of it.

It's currently fermenting a fresh batch of Belgian Dubbel, so I haven't soldered this all together yet.

Such a great project, thanks for putting this together. Really love it!

here's my current batch
Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 15.26.54.png

Update:
I was informed that Thorak already made a PCB for the ESP8266's, I had a look and it looks wonderful. I didn't realise that, and I had created one of my own for personal use

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 16.21.44.png

Last edited:

t1m1

Reaction score
which is the most reliable BPL version if I want classic UI and use OLED?

Taps

Reaction score
What would be the process for using a Brewpi PCB with the brewpiless software? Would it be just changing the pins in the code?
I see there are a couple of PCB's specific to this project, would it be better to just grab one of those to make it easier?
I am in the same boat as @iduncant above where my father in law might like the brewpiless and after my brewpi build I have heaps of leftover parts. Plus having it post straight to brewfather is all I really need so I can assess the two together and see which one would work best for me.
@iduncant where are you posting you info to, that graph / interface looks great!

Bigdaddyale

Reaction score
What would be the process for using a Brewpi PCB with the brewpiless software? Would it be just changing the pins in the code?
I see there are a couple of PCB's specific to this project, would it be better to just grab one of those to make it easier?
I am in the same boat as @iduncant above where my father in law might like the brewpiless and after my brewpi build I have heaps of leftover parts. Plus having it post straight to brewfather is all I really need so I can assess the two together and see which one would work best for me.
@iduncant where are you posting you info to, that graph / interface looks great!

Taps

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I have no idea what to do with your post... I guess you're saying that that file will map the flash to the correct pins?
It seems it's already in the Brewpiless bins.
I tried searching for it in the config.h file and found the #define Thorrak_PCB 2 and then below the list of the correct pins.
I'm not sure where to set 'Board Definition' to 2?
I can see thorrax listed in the paltform.ini section and the dboard listed as thorrak_PCB for the thorrax environment.

iduncant

Reaction score
Hi there @Taps , my experience is that there is a series of pins that are pre defined in the software. You can find them in the documentation or under the src folder open the config.h header and scroll down. You'll see there that the different pins are listed. There's a couple of different configurations based on your board target. Just make sure you're looking at the esp32 or 8266 depending on your board.

You can redefine these and then compile and flash your board. I tested it with my esp32 and it did work. However the PCB I made for the 8266 followed the default pins so I haven't tested changing with that board. I know there are some limitations on what pins can do what, but that is a hardware restriction so I would say just give it a try.

In terms of the interface, that's the interface that's provided with the software when you go to view your BPL on a web browser! I'm not currently posting the data points anywhere just saving logging it right on the esp. But I have been eyeing up writing a simple API with flask to put the data into a postgres database for review later.

I really love this system in that it can truly be run off the microcontroller alone. I finished up that dubbel I was brewing and finally had a taste. This is the first beer I'd made with full temperature control. It is the best I have ever made. I'm so happy with this!

Depending on where you live I'd be happy to give you one of my boards. I had to get 5 as a minimum, and I really only needed 3 for myself.

Ronny Rusten

Reaction score
In terms of the interface, that's the interface that's provided with the software when you go to view your BPL on a web browser! I'm not currently posting the data points anywhere just saving logging it right on the esp. But I have been eyeing up writing a simple API with flask to put the data into a postgres database for review later.
Just a note to @iduncant's answer, this is the newui version of BPL. There is also a classic which is less "sexy"... (or is that removed in v 4? I haven't checked v4, yet...)

If you want to send the data somewhere, I can recommend Brewfather, which has integrations for both PBL and a lot of other "things". Brewfather is free, but I'm a very satisfied user, so I'm paying for it to support the development... (Brewfather)

Taps

Reaction score
ok so i was doing some reading on the github and from what I can tell I need to use the NodeMCU flasher to almost preprepare the board before going into platformIO and flashing the board? So just use the bin file that Bigdaddyale posted and then flash the brewpiless git?
Other than that im not sure how to actually configure anything in config.h?

Ronny Rusten

Reaction score
ok so i was doing some reading on the github and from what I can tell I need to use the NodeMCU flasher to almost preprepare the board before going into platformIO and flashing the board? So just use the bin file that Bigdaddyale posted and then flash the brewpiless git?
Other than that im not sure how to actually configure anything in config.h?
You don't need to use the flasher. You can use Visual Studio Code with the PlatformIO addon to do the flashing.

Bigdaddyale

Reaction score
Heres how I flashed my esp8266
download and install
Run brewflasher and connect to the esp8266. run the program that wipes the 8266 clean so you start with a fresh 8266. I had to disable my virus program (MSE) in order to run brewflasher
open up nodemcu-flasher and load in the bin file BrewPiLess.v4.0r1.thorrax.newui.4m2m.bin
connect and flash 8266
once you play around and get familiar with each program it's pretty painless
Good Luck
EDIT: brewflasher installed without disabling my antivirus program. Read the instructions on Github for nodemcu-flasher- to load the bin file saved on your computer you need to click on the gear looking button and make sure the small box is checked or it won't flash

Last edited:

iduncant

Reaction score
I feel it's worth noting that if you flash a pre-compiled binary instead of building yourself, you cannot modify the pin assignment. But you mentioned thorak's board so you shouldn't have an issue.

PlatformIO let's you build from source and flash the board right inside visual studio code. You can modify the code and flash over again. You will need to use this to modify config.h and then flash it to your board. (Or some other way to build)

If you use nodemcu flasher, you'll provide a binary that is pre-compiled. So you won't be able to change the config file.

Depends on if the thorak board file works for you. Since it's simpler if you haven't done it before, I'd say go for flashing the binary before getting platform.io set up. Just my 2¢

Such great knowledge in this forum!

Bigdaddyale

Reaction score
I feel it's worth noting that if you flash a pre-compiled binary instead of building yourself, you cannot modify the pin assignment. But you mentioned thorak's board so you shouldn't have an issue.

PlatformIO let's you build from source and flash the board right inside visual studio code. You can modify the code and flash over again. You will need to use this to modify config.h and then flash it to your board. (Or some other way to build)

If you use nodemcu flasher, you'll provide a binary that is pre-compiled. So you won't be able to change the config file.

Depends on if the thorak board file works for you. Since it's simpler if you haven't done it before, I'd say go for flashing the binary before getting platform.io set up. Just my 2¢

Such great knowledge in this forum!
I wish I had the ability to work with PlatformIO. I have it installed but the learning curve is a little to steep for me. that being said I just cleaned and flashed an 8266 and got BPL running in less than a half-hour-

Taps

Reaction score
Hey thanks so much for the last few replies. Sorry, its probably really painful dealing with someone who has no previous coding/electronics experience but your more detailed guidance really helped. I was trying to do my due diligence with finding my answers myself but couldn't get anywhere. Ill give it a crack and get back to you! thanks again

iduncant

Reaction score
Hey thanks so much for the last few replies. Sorry, its probably really painful dealing with someone who has no previous coding/electronics experience but your more detailed guidance really helped. I was trying to do my due diligence with finding my answers myself but couldn't get anywhere. Ill give it a crack and get back to you! thanks again
Have you had any luck with it?

@Bigdaddyale I fully understand. PlatformIO was a hassle to understand and I work in tech, I use VSCode everyday for my work (mostly python though). It took me a good while to understand and get it running. And then when I switched from esp32 to 8266 it was like starting over. I'm glad I did though, seems helpful if you end up wanting to make changes to the software. There is something very satisfying to flashing your software to a microcontroller!

Taps

Reaction score
Haven't had a chance yet. I got it working with brewpi and just finished brewing so about to take it in its maiden voyage. Fingers crossed
Will hopefully get around to it once this beers finished!