BrewPi@ESP8266, no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,
I have brewpiless 3.5.1 running but would like to have it publish beer and chamber temperatures as well as heating/cooling relay states via MQTT to openhab .
Installed platformio and it seems to compile brewpiless master without errors but don't know where to go from here.
Has anyone compiled a binary that does this or could I compile with arduino IDE ?
help please !
Cheers Dave

It's been implemented.
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/tree/v36pre

I am verifying it by simply running it on my keezer and fermenter. It seems running fine.

Indeed - the thing about this though is it would be very "personal." If a person wanted to go to the trouble of making such a board it would be for very specific reasons unlikely to be fulfilled by a generic board (or somebody else's idea of perfect.) In this case he's got it configured as sort of an LCD backpack.

If somebody wants to play with it, the attached Eagle schematic can be used as a starting point for incorporating a 2-channel relay into their own project.

2-Channel Relay.png

Attachments

• 2-Channel Relay.zip
    15 KB · Views: 29
@pocketmon
I flashed v 3.6 binary using espeasy flasher and node mcu flasher with the same result.
LCD working perfectly,can connect notebook computer to brewpiless AP but cannot ping 192.168.4.1
Browser pointed to 192.168.4.1 times out or displays a blank page.
I erased flash on ESP8266 before flashing,v 3.5.1 works perfectly.
Please confirm what flashing software you used and any relevant settings to get v 3.6 sucessfully flashed.

Have flashed a nodemcu board with the same results,notebook gets IP address of 192.168.4.2 with gateway 192.168.4.1
No reply when ping 192.168.4.1
Are flashing using qio SPI mode.
Does no one have any idea how to resolve this ?

@pocketmon
I flashed v 3.6 binary using espeasy flasher and node mcu flasher with the same result.
LCD working perfectly,can connect notebook computer to brewpiless AP but cannot ping 192.168.4.1
Browser pointed to 192.168.4.1 times out or displays a blank page.
I erased flash on ESP8266 before flashing,v 3.5.1 works perfectly.
Please confirm what flashing software you used and any relevant settings to get v 3.6 sucessfully flashed.

Due to the size growth of framework upgrade, 4m2m flash layout is default configuration.
If you are upgrading from 4m1m, flash via USB is recommended. I got weird result from OTA update.

I am flashing via USB onto nodemcu dev board and a yellow PCB dev board off ebay that has onboard USB to UART.
Is qio the correct SPI mode to use when flashing device ?
Will drop speed to 9600 and test later.
Any other ideas?
Really want to get this working.

I am flashing via USB onto nodemcu dev board and a yellow PCB dev board off ebay that has onboard USB to UART.
Is qio the correct SPI mode to use when flashing device ?
Will drop speed to 9600 and test later.
Any other ideas?
Really want to get this working.

My setups were upgraded from 4m2m 3.5 via OTA. I did flash via USB during verification.
I don’t know what goes wrong with yours.

I did an OTA upgrade like you did and it worked fine.
Thanks for the tip and excellent software.
brewpiless is already connected to MQTT broker !

@pocketmon

May I request for v36rc2 that idle,waiting to cool,heating,etc states also get published by MQTT ?
This is a 1st class project,thank you for sharing it.

Hi guys, I am using the ispindel to feed in to my BPL. I set the OG and have local logging enabled, SG has been reporting in and attenuation has been calculated but ABV is blank. Is there something else I need to do to have ABV show?

Cheers,

Moad.

Hi guys, I am using the ispindel to feed in to my BPL. I set the OG and have local logging enabled, SG has been reporting in and attenuation has been calculated but ABV is blank. Is there something else I need to do to have ABV show?

Cheers,

Moad.

That’s weird. ABV and ATT calculations are two successive line with the same argument but different formula.
Would you mind sharing your logs for me to check this issue? You can go to filemanager and get the log file with the same name.(I should add a short cut for this in the next release.)

How did you get a esp8266 to talk to Brewfather? I'm is severe struggle town.
Currently have an esp8266 running brepiless talking back to a RP running Fermentrack, bit would like to try Brewfather.

What version Brewpiless you running? And any extra steps taken to set it up would be awesome

TIA

How did you get a esp8266 to talk to Brewfather? I'm is severe struggle town.
Currently have an esp8266 running brepiless talking back to a RP running Fermentrack, bit would like to try Brewfather.

What version Brewpiless you running? And any extra steps taken to set it up would be awesome
Did you really connect BrewPiLess to Fermentrack? Because those are two separate projects. This one is intended to be self-contained and not need Fermentrack or BrewPi.

I just wanna make sure what I am understanding is correct.

Did you really connect BrewPiLess to Fermentrack? Because those are two separate projects. This one is intended to be self-contained and not need Fermentrack or BrewPi.

I just wanna make sure what I am understanding is correct.
Oh hang on, now I'm confused.

I have two esp8266 running both of which talk back to my Fermentrack Pi. I want to attempt to get one via BrewFather

You're mixing projects - that's understandable because we have failed to provide a map of capabilities, descriptions and requirements.
  • BrewPiLess - This thread. A complete replacement/re-write of BrewPi to eliminate the need for Raspberry Pi and Arduino. All three layers of the application (controller, script, web presentation) are within the ESP8266.
  • Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware - Another thread. Also runs on the ESP8266, but is a replacement of the Arduino hardware layer (controller) of the BrewPi project with ESP8266. Provided native wireless capabilities.
  • Fermentrack - Yet another thread. Runs on the Raspberry Pi. A replacement of the script and presentation layers of the BrewPi project. Capable of working with both Arduino and ESP8266 Firmware (but not BrewPiLess which is intended to do everything).
  • Fuscus - Even further another thread. Sort of the opposite of BrewPiLess but the same idea. Instead of packing all three layers into the controller, it moves the controller functions to the Raspberry Pi. All three layers are on the Pi.
  • BrewPi (now: Remix) - The Mega Thread. That from whence we came. Revived and capable again, using an Arduino or EP8266 for the controller, and (ideally) a Raspberry Pi to host the script/application and the web presentation layer.
So, you need to head over to the Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware thread where what you are using is discussed. Not telling you that you are doing things wrong, just that BrewPiLess is a different project.

Pins are defined within the firmware and scripts. They will all shows as “detected” until you specifically configure them. The practice dates back to the originators who couldn’t think of a better word for them. :)

I finally got my iSpindel up and running and linked to brewpiless. Really appreciate the thought that went into making these cool devices work together. I am curious, however, what exactly the difference is between "filtered SG" and "gravity" in the brewpiless graph. The former seems to smooth out and slightly adjust the latter, but I'm curious as to exactly what is happening there. No luck with google, so I was wondering if someone here knew.

I finally got my iSpindel up and running and linked to brewpiless. Really appreciate the thought that went into making these cool devices work together. I am curious, however, what exactly the difference is between "filtered SG" and "gravity" in the brewpiless graph. The former seems to smooth out and slightly adjust the latter, but I'm curious as to exactly what is happening there. No luck with google, so I was wondering if someone here knew.

LBussy is right.

I've tried my best.
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/blob/master/doc/iSpindelSupport.md

Hi guys, I need your help. I was able to build and run BPL before 3.1v (wifi manager etc). Recently I re-flash with newest version. I see brewpiless network in wifi networks but I do not understand how to config and "login" to BPL. I found wiki article which says: "To connect BPL to the internet or your Access Point, go to "config" page: config.htm" What does it mean exactly? It is a piece of code I have to rewrite in github repository and than compile with platformio? (ok I installed VSC and platformio - but it is like realy foreign language for me) Or it is something like 192.168.4.1 IP adress + something (so specific url) to change configuration directly in flashed BPL after connecting to brewpiless network? Thank you in advance.

It works best with a phone where the OS seems to understand such things better. In theory it should work on your PC as well.

Connect to the brewpiless access point and you should get a web browser popping up to a config page (called a captive portal.) Set up for your WiFi and it should tell you it was successful. At that point, if your system/phone does not do so automatically, connect back to your regular access point and all should be well.

It works best with a phone where the OS seems to understand such things better. In theory it should work on your PC as well.

Connect to the brewpiless access point and you should get a web browser popping up to a config page (called a captive portal.) Set up for your WiFi and it should tell you it was successful. At that point, if your system/phone does not do so automatically, connect back to your regular access point and all should be well.

Now I understand it better. Problem is, that my android phone is not able to connect brewpiless network (some problem with authetification). I will try to downgrade and re-flash BPL and try again with other version. Thanks a lot.

I had exactly the same issue with my android phone and BPL.
My windows laptop connected first time to the captive portal,configured my wifi AP credentials and it connected to my home wifi network.

I suspect the issue is not that version of the firmware. Are you able to access the brewpiless AP from your computer?

Finally I was able to set up connection with 3.4v. I was not able to connect at all with some versions and network fall after 1 minute in other. I have to try also other phone. But finally I did. Thank you again.

Finally I was able to set up connection with 3.4v. I was not able to connect at all with some versions and network fall after 1 minute in other. I have to try also other phone. But finally I did. Thank you again.

I have bee messing with WiFi stuff for a while, and the behavior changes as framework version upgrades.

Not long ago, I learned "AutoReconnection" option and use that option to recover network when lost. It seems like in framework 2.2.0, the WiFi stack devotes all resource to "reconnect", which results in disconnection of station that connect to it in AP mode.
It might take some time to get fine tuned behavior, but I did a quick update to 3.6 for this issue. You can check it.

I'm traveling this week and have a hotspot with me so I can continue to work on one of my projects. I have noticed that the AP behavior on my Hotspot is inconsistent with behavior at home. This is on framework 2.2.3.

Are you using WiFiManager in this project? It seems so bloated.

I'm traveling this week and have a hotspot with me so I can continue to work on one of my projects. I have noticed that the AP behavior on my Hotspot is inconsistent with behavior at home. This is on framework 2.2.3.

Are you using WiFiManager in this project? It seems so bloated.

No. I don't use WiFiManager anymore, but the behavior is similar. Basically, I "merged" WiFiManager into my code/UI.
Yes. I think WiFiManager should have the same issue on framework 2.2.0 and maybe onward. If there is not a network that is connected to previously and the WiFi mode is set to AP_STA, then you are in trouble. AutoReconnection is enabled by default.

I'm trying to change from DIYBrewPi to this setup and I'm having difficult times what to do next. I have Wemos D1 mini and I've uploaded the BrewPiLess.v3.6r3.4m2m.bin to the device. How I can setup my device after doing that?

EDIT: Now working. Some random problem with flashing and therefore there was problem to get wifi up and working.

Last edited:
Back