BrewPi@ESP8266, no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try the latest with glycol option. You will be able to adjust the minimum heating time. Be careful with the minimum cooling time.

Move the chamber sensor right under the fridge element so it's in the cold air draft and see if the cycling stops. Mine cycles a bit at the start but sorts itself out.

Upgrade for heat/cool logs on graph too

Thermowell is good advice.

cycling.JPG

chamber.JPG

Hi Pocketmon,
thanks for the Work going on here!

I have one question though as I am a bit confused (in general),
can I put your software on one of Wemos D1 mini I got left from the Ipsidel project and then use BrewPi-less as the monotor data logger from Ispiendel and in that way stop using Unibot (my credits are gone now :)

As I have an STC1000 I dont neeed it for now to control temperature, bu meerly to be a data logger (and hence to send it further on for easy veiwing) and to calculate gravity?

Hence, can I do the follwoing:
  1. Data logger for Ispiendel and calculate gravity?
  2. Send data on for easy veiwing?
  3. Works whitout temperture probes connected?

1. Data logger for Ispiendel and calculate gravity?
    Yes.
  2. Send data on for easy veiwing?
    Yes.
  3. Works whitout temperture probes connected?
    NO. I don't know a way to get temperature reading without a sensor. Can you see without eyes?

he...he..he..
The sTC1000 give the temperature, and so do the Ispiedel too........! So I was also woundering if you needed the temperature probes and you just controll the frigde/heat from the Ispiedel data? If that would be possible!

Thanks!

I tried recompiling the brewpi firmware for ESP32 a few months ago. It didn't work. I'm pretty sure it's just that the ESP32 port of the various Arduino libraries still isn't that mature, and over time the issues may just kind of resolve themselves.

That said, there's really no advantage to the ESP32 for this use case - aside from the additional pins. It's more expensive than the ESP8266, MUCH harder to locate, and the additional power really isn't necessary in most cases.

I tried recompiling the brewpi firmware for ESP32 a few months ago. It didn't work. I'm pretty sure it's just that the ESP32 port of the various Arduino libraries still isn't that mature, and over time the issues may just kind of resolve themselves.

That said, there's really no advantage to the ESP32 for this use case - aside from the additional pins. It's more expensive than the ESP8266, MUCH harder to locate, and the additional power really isn't necessary in most cases.

One advantage to me is that ESP32 has more RAM, which might enable HTTPS.
I've tried HTTPS (client) on ESP8266. It works if no other stuff runs and crashes if anything else, like a web server, runs.

he...he..he..
The sTC1000 give the temperature, and so do the Ispiedel too........! So I was also woundering if you needed the temperature probes and you just controll the frigde/heat from the Ispiedel data? If that would be possible!

Thanks!

It is possible, and Sam has suggested that.
However, I haven't thought of a structural way to do it.

It is possible, and Sam has suggested that.
However, I haven't thought of a structural way to do it.

I wouldn't rely on using the iSpindel temp reading for anything. Its probably not much, but mine consistently reads a few degrees warmer than room temp (3-4c). I assumed the electronics are producing a marginal amount of heat and the location of the sensor isn't ideal...

The temperature is a few degree higher than the room temperature when calibration. The difference is smaller in real application in my case, 10 minute report period. To use it as input of temp control, the report period might need to be one minute or so. I don't have a idea about that.

Regarding temperature,
Then I have run a few test as I got both Ispindel, the SCT1000 probe and some Weber temperaturmonitors, and I have not yet seen the Ispindel been more than ½-1 degree away from either the 2 other! Hence, I would say in the wort and with a rather good/nearly submerged Ispindel the temperature messument is not that off (mine is placed according to "spec" on ispindel).

20170317_190937136_iOS.jpg

20170317_183356432_iOS.jpg

Wakeup button is not enabled by default.

You might need to change line 152
Code:
#define WAKEUP_BUTTON 1

You can use D4 as a wake-up button.
line 251
Code:
#if WAKEUP_BUTTON
#define WakeupButtonPin NODEMCU_PIN_D4
Thanks for all of the help. What I would like to do is use pin D3 for the wake-up button and eliminate the buzzer. Pin D3 on the PCB goes to a jumper with one side to ground and the other side to pin D3 of the wemos D1 mini
[/QUOTE]

where you able to use the D3 as a wakeup button on that board?

I never tried to change the code.
Thanks for all of the help. What I would like to do is use pin D3 for the wake-up button and eliminate the buzzer. Pin D3 on the PCB goes to a jumper with one side to ground and the other side to pin D3 of the wemos D1 mini

where you able to use the D3 as a wakeup button on that board?[/QUOTE]

I finally built my BrewPiLess.

Testing components and software
XHFMPvw.jpg

Alpha version in cardboard case
0uw9kSx.jpg

nQE9LWi.jpg

Betha version in 3D printed case
gyFwEMH.jpg

wys8zWs.jpg

zKkTA1u.jpg

Web interface
BECP8MN.jpg

I need to thank @gromitdj who helped me to design the case from sketch (actually he did all the hard work) .

I still need to make some adjustments and probably will print another case but for now I just want to share what has been done. I still didn't upload the files to thingiverse because of these adjustments but I can share it if someone wants.

I am still struggling to make BPL and iSpindel talk with each other.

Here are what I have set:
P2I1yWs.png

C55Qtlf.png

It doesn't make sense to me to insert a ubidots token since this job will be done by BPL. Where am I making mistakes?

Looks like you are using Thorrak's pcb. What changes did you make in the code to match up the pins to the board?Can you post a How-To on the code changes?

Testing components and software
XHFMPvw.jpg

Alpha version in cardboard case
0uw9kSx.jpg

nQE9LWi.jpg

Betha version in 3D printed case
gyFwEMH.jpg

wys8zWs.jpg

zKkTA1u.jpg

Web interface
BECP8MN.jpg

I need to thank @gromitdj who helped me to design the case from sketch (actually he did all the hard work) .

I still need to make some adjustments and probably will print another case but for now I just want to share what has been done. I still didn't upload the files to thingiverse because of these adjustments but I can share it if someone wants.

I am still struggling to make BPL and iSpindel talk with each other.

It doesn't make sense to me to insert a ubidots token since this job will be done by BPL. Where am I making mistakes?

It should be fine to leave token blank, or input anything you want.

I am testing the latest iSpindel but haven't got any progress. My test platform keep crashing and never saves the setting successfully.

<snip>

Looks like the standoff dimensions need a little work... What else? just send me what it needs and I'll take care of it.

no. You need to build by yourself. It is easy to modify platformio.ini.

I have been asked to support Thorrak's board for many times. Adding the option saves me time.

What if I've got Thorrak's board but I ALSO want to run it on a Glycol system? I notice that you've got separate bins for those.

What if I've got Thorrak's board but I ALSO want to run it on a Glycol system? I notice that you've got separate bins for those.

You can build any thing you want by modify the platform.ini file.

Add to build_flags to enable the options
-DEnableGlycolSupport
-DBOARD=Thorrak_PCB

And if you want OLED LCD,
-DOLED_LCD=true

There are too many combinations that I don't even know if anyone needs once certain combination.

Is there a link to a YouTube tutorial on how to modify the files? This stuff is like Chinese Algebra to me.
You can build any thing you want by modify the platform.ini file.

Add to build_flags to enable the options
-DEnableGlycolSupport
-DBOARD=Thorrak_PCB

And if you want OLED LCD,
-DOLED_LCD=true

There are too many combinations that I don't even know if anyone needs once certain combination.

Back