BrewPi@ESP8266, no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got brewpiless working (but not controlling) previously.

Now with iSpindel integrated this is a supremely useful homebrew gadget.

Now my iSpindel is working, this is a perfect time to complete this project and get it working!

The new brewpiless firmware compiles, now to flash and integrate the iSpindel.

Please read the README on Github.com carefully.
You need to modify iSpindel, or you will crash BrewPiLeess.

Could use some input, got a new ESP8266 (HERE) and it looks to flash fine with Terminal, Arduino or even Nodemcu Flasher.

When flashing with Terminal i don't see the Wifi for the board, when flashing with Arduino or Nodemcu Flasher the Wifi come up as ESP_XXXXX and the Wifi pop up doesn't show and i can't get to it via 192.168.4.1.

Ive tried V 1.2.3, 1.2.5, 1.2.7, & 2.0 bins and the all do the same.

Any ideas?

You should see 'brewpiless' for v1.2.7 or v2.0, 'brewpi' before 1.2.5.
If the ESP8266 has ever connected to your router, it will connect again without creating a new WiFi network unless you set it to.

If you see ESP_XXXX, that means it runs the software from the manufacturer.

Just wanted to stop in and give a huge "Thank You!" :mug: for the awesome work being done here! I was in the planning/assembly stages of my iSpindel build and final stages of my BrewPi build when I wondered if it would be possible to combine the two...and I was ecstatic to find this thread!

But I'm just curious about one thing: the github documents say that a rotary encoder can be used with an I/O expander, but this thread says it won't work. Which is correct?

Cheers!

Just wanted to stop in and give a huge "Thank You!" :mug: for the awesome work being done here! I was in the planning/assembly stages of my iSpindel build and final stages of my BrewPi build when I wondered if it would be possible to combine the two...and I was ecstatic to find this thread!

But I'm just curious about one thing: the github documents say that a rotary encoder can be used with an I/O expander, but this thread says it won't work. Which is correct?

Cheers!

It works with regular 20x4 I2c LCD, but not with OLED lcd.
However, sometimes my ESP8266 won't restart for some reason. The connection of GPIO2 to the interrupt pin of the IO expander might the redone, but it works find on my other setup. Lacking some equipments, not having much knowledge about circuits, I don't know the exact reason.

BTW,
Does it make any sense to use gravity change in temperature control schedule, like "less than X points in N hours"? It's a more generalized version of current definition of "stability", in which X is like 1 or 2 and is the same for all stages. It is easy to do that, but
1. I don't like adding too much options, especially those tend to confuse users.
2. Do we homebrewers really know the meaning of "less than X points in N hours"? I really don't have much idea about it. I am fermenting a lager, and it drops 1 point every 4 hours. It was 1 point every hour at the second day of my last brew, using Nottingham yeast. Since we don't have this ability before, there is not much information I could find.

FuzzeWuzze enlightened me about this project when I inquired about adding a pressure relief valve to my current, traditional DIY BrePi using a magnetic solenoid valve and one of these pressure sensors.

I'll be ordering the parts soon for the straightforward build and an ispindel, and then I'll try to add the pressure relief later (if pocketmon doesn't beat me to it).

Hi Pocketmon,

I'm having issues installing devices (temp sensors) on my brewpiless.

I select device slot and function and hit apply but it doesn't seem to install the devices?

It appears to be reading the sensor OK (based on address and value read), but I can't install them.

Not sure what to do :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Running Brewpiless v2.0 with OLED on a Wemos D1 Mini Pro.

Thanks!

brewpiless.png

Hi Pocketmon,

I'm having issues installing devices (temp sensors) on my brewpiless.

I select device slot and function and hit apply but it doesn't seem to install the devices?

It appears to be reading the sensor OK (based on address and value read), but I can't install them.

Not sure what to do :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Running Brewpiless v2.0 with OLED on a Wemos D1 Mini Pro.

Thanks!

"ERASE EEPROM".

You know why I put this button there?
A lot people including me have this issue. Erase the EEPROM and try again.

Thanks pocketmon - Worked a treat.

I tried searching for it and read through all the readme but I didn't see any reference to it. Thanks again.

Another question sorry,

In a beer profile, is it (or would it be) possible to change from controlling the beer temperature to the chamber temperature?

I would love to be able to setup something such as http://brulosophy.com/methods/fermentation-schedules/

Control changes from the beer to the fermentation chamber half way through the schedule. I am imagining this could happen without moving the probe.

no. The beer profile always control beer temperature.
I had thought about making it possible when I tried the fast lagering method. However, enabling that would break the original design of BrewPi. It is not difficult to implement, but breaking the design is something worth thinking twice or more.

OK, I understand. Thanks for explaining.

If you ever change your mind I am still interested but i'll make it work!

OK, I understand. Thanks for explaining.

If you ever change your mind I am still interested but i'll make it work!

Allow me to remind you that using beer sensor as fridge temperature might generate some problem. You can find some information about using BrewPi without thermowell. I would suggest to change to fridge constant at that period, and change back to beer profile later. You don't need to use two profiles. When you change to "Fridge Constant", the beer profile will be ignored and won't be excited. After changing back to "Beer Profile", the temperature schedule will be referenced to derive desired temperature. (So, do you understand why I don't want to break the design?)

Out of curiosity, and not to get into too much of a fermentation theoretical debate, what would be the benifit of going to fridge-centric instead of beer-centric temperature control?

Out of curiosity, and not to get into too much of a fermentation theoretical debate, what would be the benifit of going to fridge-centric instead of beer-centric temperature control?

I have no idea. I never use it, preferring to control my beer temperature...

Cheers!

The only real advantage I can think of is that it's simple to implement hardware-wise (one sensor, simpler logic), and therefore probably the most common form of temperature control in use today. I'm guessing this is why the temperature control profile on Brulosophy was set up as fridge-centric rather than beer-centric.

I got my Adafruit HUZZAH board up and running with BrewPiLess. I hit a few snags along the way; I didn't get the initial setup screen on the first boot, so I wasn't able to give it the Wifi network credentials. I went to brewpiless.local/config and entered my network info, not realizing that those setting were for the AP network it broadcasts. It took me about three hours to get the thing erased and working properly.

Now that it is up and running, is there any way to modify the web pages? The use of Papyrus is going to drive me nuts!

The code is available on Github. com. You can do anything you want including modification of the web page. I can't teach you how to, though.

Let me explain something to you, although it's already in the readme on Github.
The design of automatically running in AP mode is to eliminate the dependence of the WiFi router/AP. In case of recovery from a power failure, if the router doesn't recover for some reason, BrewPiLess won't wait for it and the temperature control can be executed.
If you read the readme on github for 30 minutes, maybe you can save 2 hours.

I am not sure about what Papyrus is. If you are talking about font, then you might need to look for the answer from your browser and operating system. I don't remember I specify any specific font except for a fixed width font family.

The code is available on Github. com. You can do anything you want including modification of the web page. I can't teach you how to, though.

Let me explain something to you, although it's already in the readme on Github.
The design of automatically running in AP mode is to eliminate the dependence of the WiFi router/AP. In case of recovery from a power failure, if the router doesn't recover for some reason, BrewPiLess won't wait for it and the temperature control can be executed.
If you read the readme on github for 30 minutes, maybe you can save 2 hours.

I am not sure about what Papyrus is. If you are talking about font, then you might need to look for the answer from your browser and operating system. I don't remember I specify any specific font except for a fixed width font family.

Thanks for that info. It wasn't an issue of not reading the readme; for some reason the install didn't seem to go properly, but I didn't realize until it was too late. It wasn't an issue with your code, it was just one of those things. It's been sorted out now and all is right in the world.

Also, Papyrus is the typeface used for what says "BrewPiLess v2.0" and the local log name underneath. From browsing the source code, it looks like you're using a version of the typeface called "Fantasy." Hopefully I can find a way to change it.

Thanks for that info. It wasn't an issue of not reading the readme; for some reason the install didn't seem to go properly, but I didn't realize until it was too late. It wasn't an issue with your code, it was just one of those things. It's been sorted out now and all is right in the world.

Also, Papyrus is the typeface used for what says "BrewPiLess v2.0" and the local log name underneath. From browsing the source code, it looks like you're using a version of the typeface called "Fantasy." Hopefully I can find a way to change it.

I never thought that the font type will annoy someone. I just tried to picked up a font that makes the title like a "mark" instead of using a image.

Two ways
1. get the index.htm file by "save" function of your browser.
2. edit the file
3a. upload it to esp8266 by online filemanager

3b. gzip it, convert it to hex encoded (xxd -h), and replace the content in data_index_htm.c.

I never thought that the font type will annoy someone. I just tried to picked up a font that makes the title like a "mark" instead of using a image.

Two ways
1. get the index.htm file by "save" function of your browser.
2. edit the file
3a. upload it to esp8266 by online filemanager

3b. gzip it, convert it to hex encoded (xxd -h), and replace the content in data_index_htm.c.

Thanks! Saving the page and tweaking the CSS worked like a charm. The downside to being a graphic designer is paying close attention to fonts, even my city uses that typeface on some street signs and it drives me crazy.

Is there anybody who uses or wants to use glycol with BrewPiLess?

I've been planning to setup a glycol system, and have surveyed(googled) for a while. Then, I found this thread:

https://community.brewpi.com/t/new-setup-for-glycol-tank-pump/1472

Too bad we are using 0.2.x instead of 0.4.x, and the code has been changed a lot. However, if we can have these two features, it might be possible to support glycol:
1.changable minimum cooling on/off time
2.fall back sensor. That is, the fridge temperature will use beer sensor if no fridge sensor available.

I tried to study the code but found the structure has changed for better mashing control. Well, I ended up sort of quick-and-dirty hacking to support these two features. My glycol system is not yet ready, and it won't for a few months. Is anybody is interested in beta testing, please let me know.

glycol open circulation systems seem like a cool nerd situation to a nonexistent problem not optimal for homebrewers.Over Engineered. Heatwraps on Multiable fermentors in a freezer is what I want more information on.
I vote no on wants to use glycol with BrewPiLess

glycol open circulation systems seem like a cool nerd situation to a nonexistent problem not optimal for homebrewers.Over Engineered. Heatwraps on Multiable fermentors in a freezer is what I want more information on.
I vote no on wants to use glycol with BrewPiLess

No argument wanted.

There will be an option so that fridge users won't damage their compressors by setting short cooling on/off time.

I just picked up a brand new chest freezer, so I probably won't be eager to hop onto a glycol system.

BTW,
There is another reason that I am interested in this hack. The concept of "fall back sensor" might be applied in the case of using the sensor of iSpindel.

@pocketmon Have you looked into esp-32's yet? I've moved one of my brewpi+wifi's over to brewpiless and the resumes/lcd panel not updating is a very mild annoyance. Also more gpio's would help with the rotary encoder issue.

@pocketmon Have you looked into esp-32's yet? I've moved one of my brewpi+wifi's over to brewpiless and the resumes/lcd panel not updating is a very mild annoyance. Also more gpio's would help with the rotary encoder issue.

The LCD might work by changing the PINs used for I2C.

What is "resumes"?

You can try open Config.h
around line 203

Code:
#define PIN_SDA NODEMCU_PIN_D2
#define PIN_SCL NODEMCU_PIN_D1

change to

Code:
#define PIN_SDA 21
#define PIN_SCL 22

I notice after the http is non-responsive or fails to load there is an R with alt text resume on the bottom to mark an event.

The "R" means Resume and Reset. That is usually result of unstable hardware or unstable software. I don't have an ESP32 platform and never build for it. I don't see any reason to migrate to ESP32 for now. You are on you own. Good luck.

I came across an issue while testing out my newly set up ESP8266 controller. When If I turn off the power to the unit when it is logging (something I do whenever lightning storms roll through), when I turn it back on it logs as if it didn't miss any time, meaning the time is behind by however long it was off. Anyone know what may be up with that, or have the same issue?

When I stopped the logging and started a new log, it was at the correct time.

I came across an issue while testing out my newly set up ESP8266 controller. When If I turn off the power to the unit when it is logging (something I do whenever lightning storms roll through), when I turn it back on it logs as if it didn't miss any time, meaning the time is behind by however long it was off. Anyone know what may be up with that, or have the same issue?

When I stopped the logging and started a new log, it was at the correct time.

Oops. my bad.
I *planed* to add the missing time after restart with the uncertainty of the longest "missing time". Then, I forgot to do it.
It will be handled in the next release.

Oops. my bad.
I *planed* to add the missing time after restart with the uncertainty of the longest "missing time". Then, I forgot to do it.
It will be handled in the next release.

Good to know it is coming, and that it isn't a problem with my rig. Thanks!

Is there anybody who uses or wants to use glycol with BrewPiLess?

I've been planning to setup a glycol system, and have surveyed(googled) for a while. Then, I found this thread:

https://community.brewpi.com/t/new-setup-for-glycol-tank-pump/1472

Too bad we are using 0.2.x instead of 0.4.x, and the code has been changed a lot. However, if we can have these two features, it might be possible to support glycol:
1.changable minimum cooling on/off time
2.fall back sensor. That is, the fridge temperature will use beer sensor if no fridge sensor available.

I tried to study the code but found the structure has changed for better mashing control. Well, I ended up sort of quick-and-dirty hacking to support these two features. My glycol system is not yet ready, and it won't for a few months. Is anybody is interested in beta testing, please let me know.

I've been looking at using BrewPi & glycol and as you mentioned it seems this would be alot easier with V0.4+. I would be interested in testing and helping with minor development.

Well, my first fermentation is under way with the Huzzah BrewPiLess. So far so good, except that my 25˚F ramp over 18 hours seems to be faster than the beer can adjust. Is there any way to allow a greater delta between the chamber temperature and the beer temp? It isn't really a big deal though, as this is an understandably ridiculous ramp.

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 7.41.55 PM.jpg

Well, my first fermentation is under way with the Huzzah BrewPiLess. So far so good, except that my 25˚F ramp over 18 hours seems to be faster than the beer can adjust. Is there any way to allow a greater delta between the chamber temperature and the beer temp? It isn't really a big deal though, as this is an understandably ridiculous ramp.

I guess that's just the limitations of you heater. The same will happen if you cold crash.

You can make your graph look smoother by setting your beer to ramp over a longer period of time which will smooth things out.

Back