Brewing With A New Baby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theheadonthedoor

Reaction score
I love brewing, and although I haven't had the time or money in the last few months, I would like to start again soon..

But there's a catch, we just welcomed our beautiful daughter Galaxy into our family

Now, I know lots of folks brew with a baby, so I would like to know how you balance it all. Like... how do you get through a 5 gallon keg without seeming like you're drinking too much? My wife enjoys beer to an extent but has a hard time getting through a pint of anything that's not a hoppy session or a hoppy saison.

Cutting back is already a reality as I need to be able to drive at any moment's notice, except the very middle of the night. I know that making lighter beers will help but I honestly love my double ipas, barleywines, and wee heavies.

I would love for some advice from others who have been through similar circumstances.

:)

add them with 15 minutes left in the boil

but I'm sure some will recommend flameout addition

My mind went the same way when I read 'brewing with a baby', then I read that her name is Galaxy!

To be more helpful to the OP, you need to accept that a drinking session will become a rare thing to be cherished and enjoyed. I've been there (and gone passed - kids are now 13 and 10) - there's not point trying to drink lighter beers, you like what you like. Drink a half an IPA when you might need to drive (try having a slow cup of tea between half pints) and learn to really value the times of freedom where you can manage to get away for a session. The time passes quickly and you'll be back to normal but wishing you could enjoy those early baby years again.

Last edited:
Now, I know lots of folks brew with a baby, so I would like to know how you balance it all. Like... how do you get through a 5 gallon keg without seeming like you're drinking too much?

With patience and dedication you would be surprised what you can accomplish.

More seriously, how about brewing smaller batches? If you have a bunch of 5 gallon kegs that might not work for you but you could get a few smaller kegs or even ... shudder .... bottle.

I have a month old currently and it isn't too bad. I have brewed once since he was born without problem. Just did it on a weekend. Also, I don't drink alot... Maybe one or two a day.

Firstly, congratulations - and kudos for placing your family concerns first; very commendable. :)

If I found myself in a situation where I was limited to one beer a day (or a limited number of anything I really liked), I would want it to be the best damned beer I could have.

Maybe it's time to switch to smaller batches and double down on quality. Switch from making damn good beer that you enjoy, to amazing award-winning beer that you totally love.

Smaller batches, higher quality, experimenting with different kinds of beer you've never tried (there are 100s of types, after all), these allow you to keep your hand in, teach you new things about brewing, sharpen your skill set to make you a an even better brewer than you are now, kick-asses in competitions if you want, gives you fantastic beer to savor and enjoy in your allotted quantities, is a lot easier on your finances - and most importantly, leaves you clear and sharp to be there for your daughter.

Congratulations, and best of luck :)

Congratulations! I have two young kids and my problem is finding time to brew. I try and get a batch a month in and if it gets any longer than that I really get the itch. For me. I try and brew beer that will hold up in the keg for a while. If I brew an IPA which is few and far between I make sure I drink it pretty quick.

New father here. Hudson is 8 weeks old.
Here is what has worked for me so far.

I worked out a deal with my fiance where I get 1 Saturday morning a month where I can brew. In return, I give her Saturdays or Sundays off, and I do all the night feedings. You have to be willing to give her and your daughter 150%

I've spent a little more money on cleaners that I can apply and walk away, like keg and carboy cleaner tabs. Just add hot water plus a few tabs, dump and hot rinse. Transfers and kegging only take 20-30 mins.

Patience is a virtue in brewing, so work that to your advantage. Feel confident in letting your beer sit in the fermenter for an extra week if you don't have the time. Remember to be flexible.

As for consumption, drink 2 beers per day on the weekend. I'm pretty much dry through the week.

Cheers,

Congrats on the new addition. I recently had my first and I have found that I generally just drink more slowly than I did before (45mins to an hour for a pint). I've only brewed once since my son was born and my biggest issue was that my "brew partner" became needy at the most inopportune times. With the summer I'm sure I will be brewing lower (5-6%) ABV beers so I am not too worried about going overboard. You will eventually find what works for you.

Why do you need to be able to drive at a moment's notice? It is a baby not a timebomb. Put the kid down for the night and have a couple beers. At two beers a night a 5 gallon keg will only last for 24 days.

I love brewing, and although I haven't had the time or money in the last few months, I would like to start again soon..

But there's a catch, we just welcomed our beautiful daughter Galaxy into our family

Now, I know lots of folks brew with a baby, so I would like to know how you balance it all. Like... how do you get through a 5 gallon keg without seeming like you're drinking too much? My wife enjoys beer to an extent but has a hard time getting through a pint of anything that's not a hoppy session or a hoppy saison.

Cutting back is already a reality as I need to be able to drive at any moment's notice, except the very middle of the night. I know that making lighter beers will help but I honestly love my double ipas, barleywines, and wee heavies.

I would love for some advice from others who have been through similar circumstances.

Just throw the dice. :) Works for me.

BTW, yay to brewing names. I have Sierra, Stella and now on the way I finally got me a Sam (just couldn't curse him with Bud as a name). Wife didn't even know what I was doing until after the second one!!! haha!

I've went to 2.5 gallon batches and a Zymatic. 2 of my 5 gallon kegs became fermenters and the rest happily serve only 2.5 gallons.

Everyone's happy.

I've gone to 1 gallon brewing, seems to work much better with the level of consumption I'm at now. As for the newborn, first, congrats! Second, get your brewing in now, it gets a lot harder when they hit 2-ish (mine is almost 3) and constantly want to see or be a part of what you're doing. I find I have to brew at night when he's asleep or napping now.

Just drink small beers, you might need an extra fridge. I go through about five gallons every two weeks, minimal alcohol. You can score some parent points by giving the baby wort, but be careful mine started cutting into my quota.

I switched back to extract from all grain to have more time with the kids. It's doable. I have a 1.5 and 5.5 yr old.

They will quickly become part of brew day. I welcomed my 2nd last Aug and he's brewed 5 batches or so already. I still drink as much as i want but i obviously keep it within reason. I realized I'm not that young anymore, 35, and if i want to keep drinking throughout my life i need to reel it on in a little bit.
Plus, i don't want my kids to see me drinking all the time.

I brew what i want to brew too. I dig fresh IPAs and lots of American style ales. I don't see the point in brewing, and all that comes along with it, if you can't brew what you want to. Just make sure you're extra helpful to the wife so she can't say anything about your beer.

Babies don't stay babies for very long and it'll pass pretty quickly. Enjoy and remember every moment of it. I have a threenager and while she's still very sweet she's not my daddy's little girl she was at age 2!

View attachment 1491982464511.jpg

This has been so intensely helpful! I appreciate everyone's feedback and is it makes me feel a lot more optimistic about the whole situation. :)

A real danger is putting strain on your marriage by not explicitly agreeing on who is 'on call' when. Loads of new parents (mostly the daddies) do not always realize that when one parent is enjoying some r&r the other parent automatically has to dedicate ALL of his/her time and attention to the baby. Avoid getting into fights about that, just make clear agreements about who is on call when. You will have fewer 'sessions' than before but you can still have em.

For me brewing is such a hands off event, there is so much waiting and watching. I just make sure I do the brewing when the wife is home. I have three kids 4.5 years old and younger and I still get in a brew a month and drink 1-3 pints a day(one with dinner and two after the kids go to bed).

I crush my grains and organize my brew equipment the night before. Then in the morning I start my strike water just outside the big sliding glass window on the deck. While that's heating I get breakfast and change the kids diapers. Mash in, play with the kids, start my boil, play with the kids and make lunch. While I'm cooling my wife has the kids and then I wait to clean up until after the kids either nap or when they go to bed.

I don't think I'd get away with brewing once a month if I locked myself in my garage for 6 hours. So brewing on my deck and incorporating the kids in the waiting times works well for me!

Congrats on the new kid! Life changes, but you shouldn't need to give up hobbies and things that you enjoy. You just need to learn to work them into your new life.

For me brewing is such a hands off event, there is so much waiting and watching. I just make sure I do the brewing when the wife is home. I have three kids 4.5 years old and younger and I still get in a brew a month and drink 1-3 pints a day(one with dinner and two after the kids go to bed).

I crush my grains and organize my brew equipment the night before. Then in the morning I start my strike water just outside the big sliding glass window on the deck. While that's heating I get breakfast and change the kids diapers. Mash in, play with the kids, start my boil, play with the kids and make lunch. While I'm cooling my wife has the kids and then I wait to clean up until after the kids either nap or when they go to bed.

I don't think I'd get away with brewing once a month if I locked myself in my garage for 6 hours. So brewing on my deck and incorporating the kids in the waiting times works well for me!

Congrats on the new kid! Life changes, but you shouldn't need to give up hobbies and things that you enjoy. You just need to learn to work them into your new life.

Ha! This is exactly how I brew. Long gone are the days of standing around watching a pot boil. The hardest part of brewing for me now is the expense.

My experience with going through newborns twice is that I purposely binge-brewed for a month before they're due and don't brew again for a few months until their sleep normalizes. I like to brew at night anyways and I didn't want to worry about making a tiny noise and waking them up.

Like others on here already said, the key will be agreeing on a split of duties with swmbo. That's good marital advice anyways but IMO it's vital to being able to keep up with a hobby and not feel guilty or put strain on the family. My wife and I split the weekend and each of us gets a morning off so we can do whatever we want the night before.

It's actually easier to brew with an infant than it is with toddlers. They consume a lot more time! Congrats and good luck!

Calvin's approaching 4 months now and I've brewed a few times. I had a (mixed) blessing around the 2-3 month range when my wife took him to another city for three consecutive weekends for a professional development course that for her doubled as a parenting course (Montessori 0-3 assistant certification - she's already a certified Montessori 3-6 teacher), so I brewed all three of those weekends - twice personally and once as a collaboration with a local brewpub - and bottled two batches as well. I missed the hell out of my wife and child during those three weekends, but I also had a greater degree of freedom to use my time as I saw fit than I've had in a long time, and my wife learned a lot of good stuff for raising our boy (and things that will help her professionally when she goes back to work, including things that will allow her to make some money managing things for our school from home in the meantime).

Otherwise, my situation is similar to @jwalk4 - I don't get "one Saturday a month" exactly, but I get permission in advance of a brewday and try to be on hand to help with the baby as much as possible. Since I hand crank my Corona mill, I do that while they're asleep. I do single-infusion mashes with the knowledge that I may have to let the mash go long if I'm needed with the baby. With BIAB I do a bucket sparge and drain that doesn't take a lot of hands-on time. The boil doesn't require a lot of hands-on as long as I set a timer for the hop additions, and I accept that I may have to leave the immersion chiller running unattended for a while. Clean-up is usually pretty quickly done with the first bucket full of hot runoff from the chiller, and can be delayed until a convenient time if necessary. In the end, aside from milling the grain, a brewday requires probably about 30-40 minutes of hands-on time and most steps can be left alone as necessary if I'm needed to help with the baby.

Honestly bottling requires more of my time than brewing even though it's a lot less total time from start to finish, but as with milling I try to do most of that while they're asleep. I'll be doing my second bottling day with the baby at home this weekend - a gallon of cherry-oak quad and six gallons of passion fruit gose, and I'm hopeful that I can have the bottles capped and buckets soaking by the time they wake up. It's mostly a matter of timing and efficiency.

The question of permission is an interesting one as well: my wife hates brewdays - they take time, they make a mess (that I clean up as I go), they mostly lock up the kitchen - but she is proud of my beer and takes every opportunity to share it with friends as part of the Chinese culture of guanxi, or gift-giving/favor-trading as a semi-binding expression of friendship. In other words, she runs out the pipeline as fast as I do and reaps social and material benefits from it, so she puts up with brewdays to keep the gravy train rolling, as long as I know who's boss and schedule my brewing around her (and now also our baby's) convenience, which I do. In that way, having a baby actually makes it a bit easier: I used to get a bit resentful when she would nix a brewday for reasons I found less than compelling, but with a baby most reasons end up being rather compelling so it's helped my attitude about the whole thing.

Sounds like a great excuse to get keg setup! Less time spent packaging and quicker turnaround.
My wife always grumbles too when she realizes it's brew day. She gets over it though because it's pretty much the only thing i do alone and it's still at the house. A lot of our friends are in bands and play out all the time, or they travel for work, or they're into hiking, bike riding, etc...
I'm also home from work early 2 days a week which none of her friend's husbands are. She also gets to run her own business from home so she's got it pretty sweet. I do too for that matter so I'm always confused when a brew day becomes an issue.
I guess it's just the nature of the beast!

I solved this problem by having my wife watch the kids while i brew. Works every time.

That is amazing! I've already got her interested in the names Atlas, Orion, and Apollo for a future boy, which are all hop names too.

Calvin's approaching 4 months now and I've brewed a few times. I had a (mixed) blessing around the 2-3 month range when my wife took him to another city for three consecutive weekends for a professional development course that for her doubled as a parenting course (Montessori 0-3 assistant certification - she's already a certified Montessori 3-6 teacher), so I brewed all three of those weekends - twice personally and once as a collaboration with a local brewpub - and bottled two batches as well. I missed the hell out of my wife and child during those three weekends, but I also had a greater degree of freedom to use my time as I saw fit than I've had in a long time, and my wife learned a lot of good stuff for raising our boy (and things that will help her professionally when she goes back to work, including things that will allow her to make some money managing things for our school from home in the meantime).

Otherwise, my situation is similar to @jwalk4 - I don't get "one Saturday a month" exactly, but I get permission in advance of a brewday and try to be on hand to help with the baby as much as possible. Since I hand crank my Corona mill, I do that while they're asleep. I do single-infusion mashes with the knowledge that I may have to let the mash go long if I'm needed with the baby. With BIAB I do a bucket sparge and drain that doesn't take a lot of hands-on time. The boil doesn't require a lot of hands-on as long as I set a timer for the hop additions, and I accept that I may have to leave the immersion chiller running unattended for a while. Clean-up is usually pretty quickly done with the first bucket full of hot runoff from the chiller, and can be delayed until a convenient time if necessary. In the end, aside from milling the grain, a brewday requires probably about 30-40 minutes of hands-on time and most steps can be left alone as necessary if I'm needed to help with the baby.

Honestly bottling requires more of my time than brewing even though it's a lot less total time from start to finish, but as with milling I try to do most of that while they're asleep. I'll be doing my second bottling day with the baby at home this weekend - a gallon of cherry-oak quad and six gallons of passion fruit gose, and I'm hopeful that I can have the bottles capped and buckets soaking by the time they wake up. It's mostly a matter of timing and efficiency.

The question of permission is an interesting one as well: my wife hates brewdays - they take time, they make a mess (that I clean up as I go), they mostly lock up the kitchen - but she is proud of my beer and takes every opportunity to share it with friends as part of the Chinese culture of guanxi, or gift-giving/favor-trading as a semi-binding expression of friendship. In other words, she runs out the pipeline as fast as I do and reaps social and material benefits from it, so she puts up with brewdays to keep the gravy train rolling, as long as I know who's boss and schedule my brewing around her (and now also our baby's) convenience, which I do. In that way, having a baby actually makes it a bit easier: I used to get a bit resentful when she would nix a brewday for reasons I found less than compelling, but with a baby most reasons end up being rather compelling so it's helped my attitude about the whole thing.

That really is a big relief to hear as I'm hoping my wife will be lenient in the same regard. Additionally, cherry oak quad and passionfruit gose sound amazing!

I early morning brew now. I BIAB so I heat my strike water the night before while everyone is in bed (~180f). Let the kettle sit uncovered overnight. Wake up around 530, adjust temp., mash in, etc. Usually done with cleanup by 10.

I don't sit and watch every process. When the kid wakes up, I make her breakfast and watch her while checking in on my progress now and then. It's the only way I could get my wife to tolerate me brewing every six weeks or so.

I brewed at 4 AM once, it was peaceful and one of the best brew days I had. I was done by 8 before the kid woke up. The problem was by 6 pm I was exhausted.

Just talk with your baby momma and try to find a compromise. Like many have said before they are only young once, and don't miss out on that. You can always brew later.

.....The time passes quickly and you'll be back to normal but wishing you could enjoy those early baby years again.
Bull$h!t! My kids (twins) are 3 now and there's no way in hell I would EVER wish that on myself again. As a side note, if there's a rumor I have committed suicide by eating my .45, ya'll be sure to congratulate my widow on the new addition to the family.

That really is a big relief to hear as I'm hoping my wife will be lenient in the same regard. Additionally, cherry oak quad and passionfruit gose sound amazing!

I'm really excited about the gose - it's shaping up to be an excellent spring-summer brew.

The cherry oak quad is more of a leftover project: when I transferred the quad from primary to the carboy for some secondary time I discovered that I had an extra gallon or so, so I decided to secondary it in a sanitized juice jug with some steamed oak chips. Then when the baby was born a friend bought us some black cherries (super expensive in China but almost never very good because they get shipped in from Chile and usually sit on the shelf for a while because of the price) so I chopped out the pits and froze them. On bottling day for the quad, I first bottled the gallon on oak, then I left the oak in the jug and added the cherries and racked a gallon from the carboy into the jug, where it's been sitting for maybe forty days or so. The thing is, I tried an early bottle of the quad a couple weeks after bottling and it tasted like bubbly, alcoholic cherry juice, so it'll be interesting to see if adding cherries to that gallon will be an overload or if the flavors will mellow out by the time I'm regularly cracking bottles in several months.

Anyway, be the best baby daddy you can, and when you can get special dispensation from the pope, make the most of your brewdays by making awesome beer. If you have the will and the wife's permission, you'll find a way to make it work.

Back