Brewing two lagers with different yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizooBrew

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Munich Helles with Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager and an Oktoberfest/Marzen with White Lab WLP820 Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager Yeast, getting the starters going now. Planning on having an Oktoberfest celebration come next September, and it is my understanding that Munich Helles is actually the main style now served at these festivals whereas an actual Oktoberfest/Marzen is more traditional.

Both recipes will be taken from Brewing Classic Styles, with the Munich Helles having an OG of 1.048 an an FG of 1.011, and the Oktoberfest/Marzen with an OG of 1.055 and a FG of 1.015.

I am planning on fermenting both of these at around the same time and fermenting them in the same temperature controlled chest freezer (at 50F). My question is about the timing of brewing these two. I am hoping to be able to time it such that I can perform one diacetyl rest and bring them to lagering at the same time. I know WLP820 is a notoriously slow fermenter, and don't know exactly how quicky Wyeast 2124 starts.

Anyone have any idea about when I should start these two brews in order to be able to perform the d-rest for both at (about) the same time, and take them into lagering at about the same time? I was thinking maybe start the Oktoberfest with WLP820 approximately three days before the Munich Helles with Wyeast 2124, since the WLP820 will take longer to get started? :confused: Any input would be appreciated!

:mug:

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised by the lack of responses, this question is somewhat vague and pretty technical. Not that I expect a response at this point, but I will be making a starter for each, stepping each up from a 2L, decant, add 2L of fresh wort. I'll try to update this and let everyone know how it proceeds.

Start them at the same time; if one is ready for a d-rest before the other (use your hydrometer to confirm) then simply take it out of the ferm chamber and leave it at room temp. D-rest for the Helles can be at 1.020 or a hair under; the Marzen maybe 1.025 or so. Leave them at room temp for a week or so, then (after confirming fermentation has finished) rack them to secondaries for lagering.

Pitching lots of yeast is so, so, so key to brewing good lagers. I recommend www.yeastcalc.com for figuring out your steps.

Hadn't thought of that, but that is a great idea. Room temp should be perfectly sufficient for the D-rest, thanks!

Edit: That is an amazing calculator, very useful! I have previously been using the mrmalty calculator, but this calculator allows much more detailed control and more advanced features for sure. Thanks again osagedr. :mug:

Back