Brewing this today, how does it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klug

Reaction score
A pumpkin ale, how cliche lol

8# Maris otter
3# 10oz pumpkin (steeped at mash out then bag squeezed)
1# 8oz Munich malt
1# brown sugar
8oz UK crystal 50-60
4oz chocolate malt

1oz Willamette at 60 mins and 5 mins

2 tbsp pumpkin spice at 5 mins

Irish moss at 15 mins

muntons dry yeast and wyeast 1099

Thanks in advance!

Looks like a nice recipe! Though I'm not sure what this means:

3# 10oz pumpkin (steeped at mash out then bag squeezed)

If you have some rice hulls, just throw the pumpkin into the mash. Also, it's good to roast the pumpkin before using it, it gives it a nice flavor and gelatinizes it for a good extraction.

2 T sounds good for amount of spice. My pumpkin ale uses 2.5 T total of spices and I think it's just right. Mine is added at 5 minutes though so I'm not sure how it will change at 15.

Also, why the two different yeasts?

Looks like a dark ale.

Be careful with the spices. Those things go a long ways.

Every time I have made a pumpkin ale (I'll try and find my recipe from 13 years ago) I have gotten better feedback from the unspiced ones. The pumpkin really adds a different flavor all on its own. The spices always over-dominated the rest of the elements when I added it in. And I think I added about as much as you are planning, but am not sure without my notes.

It looks good. I might eliminate the brown sugar, drop the chocolate and add some amber or some light crystal. But you never know until you try it. But do watch the spices.

Lol sorry its canned pumpkin and I am toasting it in the oven. I will edit the spices as I did plan on 5 mins not 15 mins lol

When I said steeped at mash out I mean I will have the canned cooked pumpkin in 2 nylon bags and when I mash out into my brew pot I will let the pumpkin steep in the wort for a few moments. Then when I pull it out I will give it a good squeeze and start my boil. Some pumpkin pie later ;)

Latest posts

Back