Brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
people with phones are often using solid web based apps like BrewFather / Brewers Friend.

Or cheap bastards frugal brewers like me that decided to put up with the clunky nature of the BeerSmith App because it has 90% of the power of desktop BeerSmith, could be accessed from any location, and only required a one time $6 fee that included lifetime upgrades. I eventually gave in to a BeerSmith Gold license for $15 per year (cheaper for the first year) due to the roll out of the BeerSmith Web version. But, I am not a huge fan of the yearly subscription model that has taken over these days.

In this topic, I'm seeing mostly "I use ... because ...".

Seems like people with laptops/desktops are often mostly using solid desktop apps (or custom spreadsheets) & people with phones are often using solid web based apps like BrewFather / Brewers Friend.

Another advantage for myself. I brew in the garage. The laptop stays upstairs. It also takes up more space on a table than a phone does. I don't have the Beersmith app on my phone, so knowing what I see in the recipe on my phone downstairs is the same as what I put together on the laptop upstairs.

Anyone know how to get Brewfather to wake the phone up when the timer goes off for a hop addition? That's a big negative for me on Brewfather, but it's the only negative I have. I have another multi timer app I used to use that would go off whether the phone was in use or asleep, so I'm hoping it's a setting in Brewfather.

Anyone know how to get Brewfather to wake the phone up when the timer goes off for a hop addition?

I have noticed the same issue in the BeerSmith app after I upgraded my Android Phone. I think the newer versions of Android are pretty draconian about shutting down apps to extend battery life. I have tweaked a few settings, and thought I fixed the issue, but I saw it again recently. iOS might have similar "features" that prevent background processes.

I've probably written 4 or 5 different versions of brewing software. It's what I do when I'm learning a new language or technology. The latest was written to learn blazor (if there's any other nerds in here).

In this topic, I'm seeing mostly "I use ... because ...".
I use Excel for my calculations w/ a little help from Brewer's Friend, which goes to a Word doc, which I print out for brew day.

Because - I've been doing it since before the apps were invented and it works (my equations and numbers seem perfect for my system) and I'm too lazy to change it.

I use Excel for my calculations w/ a little help from Brewer's Friend, which goes to a Word doc, which I print out for brew day.

Because - I've been doing it since before the apps were invented and it works (my equations and numbers seem perfect for my system) and I'm too lazy to change it.
You're not lazy. If works, it's call method.

I use Beer Tools Pro (macOS), and Bru'n Water for all water calculations.

When I first was looking into brewing software, many many years ago, BTP was easily the most professional, fully-featured brewing software for the Mac. (I tried Beer Alchemy as well, which was really good and looked nicer than BTP, but felt like more of a recipe database than a full-fledged brewing app, at least at the time.)

There were few options at the time in general, outside of spreadsheets, and only a couple of Mac apps. Not sure if BeerSmith even existed at the time, but if it did it was still Windows-only.

I've just kept using BTP all these years, despite some annoyance at how slow he is to release updates (at one point I thought it had become abandonware, several years of absolute inactivity, and then out of the blue a new version was released just a little while ago.)

If I had to pick a new app today I guess it would probably come down to BeerSmith or Brewfather, but I have to admit I don't much care for the UI on either one (for different reasons). Of course functionality and calculation accuracy is far more important, but UI isn't unimportant to me.

And I'm trying to learn how to code (purely as a hobby / personal interest), and intend on trying to womp together my own brewing app (for personal use only) as a learning project.

What is the brewing software everyone uses? I have used both Brewer's Friend and Brewfather a little, both seem to be usable but I am more comfortable with Brewfather. Brewer's friend seems to have more usable calculators and such. Are there any others I should look for as well?

TIA for input

Lon
BeerSmith. I’ve since it first came out. It’s easy to learn and the latest online/cloud features are great.

I use ezRecipe Design on my computers, it has plenty of great features, and I keep adding more with every new release.

ezr-v10.jpg

Brewfather user here. I haven't really tried many of the other softwares out there but that's because brewfather does what I need. Recipe generation and use is easy. Water additions seem to be pretty accurate. The inventory management and integration with Tilt sold it for me

In all seriousness though, I use a combination of Wort, Brewer's Friend, and Ray Daniel's "Designing Great Beers". I find the calculations in the book to be invaluable when brew day goes sideways.

I use Beerfather as well. But will admit I am still trying to get my feet wet with BIAB method and my efficiency number. So, I have missed the gravity readings on the recipe's I have put in. Also, I have not taken full advantage of the tools they provide.

Same here. I don't dislike or ever hated Beersmith. I just felt like it was clunky to me compared to Brewfather. I used Beersmith for a while (v2) until moving over to Brewfather.

I probably would have stayed with Beersmith, but I was able to get a free code through my brew club for Brewfather, so I have it free for a year. The biggest advantage for me is the shared platform and the ability to track a Tilt device, which is something I would like to get in the near future. The biggest and only negative I have is when running the timers on BF during a brew day, they go inactive if I don't keep my phone from going to sleep mode. I almost missed a hop addition because of that.
I just ordered a Tilt Pro today and am looking forward to adding it to Brewfather! That's an unfortunate problem about the timer issue. I keep my small laptop up and running for the brew day. Maybe you could try plugging your phone in to charge and see if that keeps it from sleeping.

Back