Brewing German Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steinsato

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good book that explains German beer styles and brewing techniques. I've seen books that apply to Kolsch's only but I'd like one that covers all German styles. I don't speak German so I suppose haveing it printed in English would be a plus. Any suggested readings?

in designing great beers by ray daniels you can find a good review about the german wheat's... and if i remmember well other german styles to...

I have a "Bavarian Helles" book from the brewing clasic styles series by horst dornbusch (i doubt that's spelled right) and it goes into unbelievable ammounts of detail and was very informative for me. With that said, when I follow the recipes given in the book my helles comes out too hoppy and dry, but the procedures in the book have always worked out well for me. There are also books Marzen, Kolsch, Weizen, Bock and Vienna Lager in that same series, but I haven't read them. Hope it helps.

A good resource is New Brewing Lager Beer by Greg Noonan. It's lager focused, but a great resource on lager techniques.

Kaiser could probably give you some pointers on English texts on German brewing.

Thanks for the tips so far. I tried sending kaiser a pm but his inbox is full. I have his Kaiser alt "lagering" in my kegerator right now. Can't wait to give it a try in October.

Check out the BJCP Interim Study Guide for beer judging.

They have a couple of reading lists that should give you plenty of choices for all your reading pleasure!!

Back