Looking for German beer style mentioned in BYO years ago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamtbest

Reaction score
Hello,
Thank you for taking time to read this. I'm looking for a homebrew recipe in BYO magazine but I can't remember what issue it is in. We might be talking 10 years ago.

It is a German style that is all barley but uses wheat beer yeast. It's not any hefeweizen styles. The story I remember and I might be crazy. Is there is a small town outside the black forest (schwarzwald) Germany that brews a unique German beer. It might be a darker beer, but I can't recall. If you know what I'm talking about please tell me the style or issue I'm looking for.
Thank you for your time.

that brews a unique German beer.
There used to be dozens of beers like that, before they were squeezed out by the unstoppable advance of lager. But if you're interested in the likes of Merseburger and Berliner Braunbier then you should check out Andreas Krennmair's Historic German and Austrian Beers for the Home Brewer

Back