Brewing extract saison, filter or not to filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer-

Reaction score
I am currently brewing NB Petite saison d'Ete, with a wyeast french yeast starter, in a good big gap in the hop schedule. (Don't worry its 3 gallons of wort in a 7.5 gallon pot so it wont boil over). Ive got my big heavy duty asian pink pasta strainer and a couple muslin basg in the star san and ready to go. Should i Use them?

lowtones84

Reaction score
You can toss it all in the fermenting vessel, but I actually prefer to strain stuff out. Pouring through a strainer helps aerate and in my opinion it's just nice avoiding getting more stuff than necessary in the vessel. It won't hurt if you don't though.

OP
B

Reaction score
Nice! Thank you so for the reassuring feeling. And ive honestly been thinking latey about picking up the double bass. U play? I don't play anything atm but plan to.

lowtones84

Reaction score
Yup, I play. Double Bass isn't an easy instrument to pick up but I'm not saying it's impossible. I started pretty late in life honestly. It also depends on what kind of music you want to play. If you want to play bluegrass and/or country type stuff you can keep it pretty simple but if you want to play jazz or classical it's definitely a challenge. Nothing wrong with bluegrass and country though. Either way it's a great instrument!

Also on the filtering thing if you're using pellet hops you'll get a lot of sludge in your strainer that the wort might not pass through easily, so you'll want to clear it periodically.

OP
B

Reaction score
Yep. Ive done that couple times before. But this time I didn't filter just slowly poured, the hydro sample was clear tho, at 1.040. or slightly more. And I am defiantly the jazzy reggae ska type. We shall see. But my gf can wreak on the oboe!

Schumed

Reaction score
I kind of think straining takes away some of the flavor profile. I do use a hop spider so I guess that is doing some straining but still quite a bit of hop material gets through it

I instead cold crash before bottling/keg so everything will drop out

I've got a few medals under my belt to prove my theory :)

OP
B

Reaction score
Thanks man, i may try this cold crashing the whole thing. I hope my fridge shelves can support it. How long do you crash it for?